Do retakes matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
altoid99

Re: Do retakes matter?

Postby altoid99 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm

How does one search for people who took the LSAT more than once on LSN? When I select 'only' for "multiple lsat" on the user search page, I only find one person from this cycle.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Just from the 2012-2013 cycle, I think schools that penalize retakes are re-thinking their strategies in order to fill their classes with 170+ applicants. Just an observation; I would be curious to see the statistics for this cycle alone.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 am

altoid99 wrote:How does one search for people who took the LSAT more than once on LSN? When I select 'only' for "multiple lsat" on the user search page, I only find one person from this cycle.

I think most people simply report their highest scores on LSN.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
squeebz wrote:Schools w/ No Statistical Difference Between Retakers and Non-Retakers - Penn, GULC, Northwestern, UVA, Yale, Michigan, and Duke

Schools Where Retakers Faired Worse - Columbia, Berkeley, Cornell, NYU, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago

Harvard - Retakers are 31% less likely to be admitted.

interesting data! Both y and h have red as well as green smudges. is the reason H retakers are 31% less likely vs Y is that the red smudges in H are bigger?

It's also possible that retake may still hold positive effect in small pockets of gpa lsat range symbolized by green smudges

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm

jmjm wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
squeebz wrote:Schools w/ No Statistical Difference Between Retakers and Non-Retakers - Penn, GULC, Northwestern, UVA, Yale, Michigan, and Duke

Schools Where Retakers Faired Worse - Columbia, Berkeley, Cornell, NYU, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago

Harvard - Retakers are 31% less likely to be admitted.

interesting data! Both y and h have red as well as green smudges. is the reason H retakers are 31% less likely vs Y is that the red smudges in H are bigger?

It's also possible that retake may still hold positive effect in small pockets of gpa lsat range symbolized by green smudges

I think a lot of the green is probably due to small sample sizes/random statistical fluctuations. I'm not 100% sure on the 31% thing, but what I look for graphically is whether or not there is a lot more red than green, and, more importantly, whether there is any obvious pattern to the red. If you look at NYU's graph, for example, it's clear that they are actively implementing some sort of strategy for dealing with retakers.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 am

The north-east (close to 4.0/180) tips of most graphs is red and green is scattered somewhere inside these graphs. doesn't it mean that amongst perfect gpa/lsat candidates, if a candidate's very high lsat was due to a retake then her chances are not as good as who's not a retaker? i am assuming the x-axis is lsat and the y-axis is gpa.

This also means that these schools have rejected some candidates with close to perfect gpa/lsat due to it being a retake notwithstanding a very high lsat retake score.

Nyu barely has any green. Possibly nyu is counting retake as a negative (red in the interior portion of the graph). But if nyu was doing so, then it'd be reflected across the board of gpa/lsat datapoints instead of being reflected only in some pockets.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 am

jmjm wrote:Nyu barely has any green. Possibly nyu is counting retake as a negative (red in the interior portion of the graph). But if nyu was doing so, then it'd be reflected across the board of gpa/lsat datapoints instead of being reflected only in some pockets.

It actually looks to me like it's clearly affecting borderline candidates at NYU but not candidates with high LSAT scores.

And regarding the top right hand corner of the graphs, I can't explain it except to say that there's a small sample size in that region of the graph, so it probably doesn't mean much.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:14 am

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 am

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:20 pm

gottago wrote:how does 31% @ H mean that a retake doesn't matter @ H (which is the same as saying NYU is the only school where it matters).

Not sure how it does't matter at H since all the high gpa/lsat combos have a lot of red. Only in the borderline accepted candidates is there some green, which Is still less in overall quantity than red. A possible explanation could be that green candidates are the ones who had strong softs, which prompted them to retake improving their score, providing them an edge over others.

How many retakers were reapplcants is an additional consideration depending on whether a reapp, other things being equal, matters in H decision

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”