Applying for the next cycle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dnptan

Applying for the next cycle

Postby dnptan » Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am

Hey all,

So instead of going to law school this year, I decided to apply again for the upcoming cycle. I'm currently on one waitlist, but I'm planning out my plan B in the very likely case the waitlist doesn't turn out. I sent my app in at the very last day last cycle, and plan to submit mine a lot earlier this cycle. Any advice on what to do? Here's what I have so far:

Send in App ASAP
GPA - can't fix; graduated
LSAT - Retaking
LoRs - Ask again for targeted ones this time
WE - Another year at IP consulting can't hurt! Maybe a promotion sometime?
Softs - Volunteer stuff; things I would do regardless of law school (at this point softs are minor right?)

Things I don't know what to do about:

Personal statement - I'm pretty sure recycling my PS is a horrible idea, but considering my PS talked about my experience in founding a company, I really don't think I can top that with what I've gone through this year. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

LSAT - Should I take the June one, the Oct one, or both? If I send in my app in Sept. without retaking the LSAT, and then updating my app after the Oct LSAT, would that be taken against me? In other words, is it better to submit a bit later with a higher (hopefully) LSAT score, or submit earlier with the same score and update it later?

Thanks for the suggestions!

totoro

Re: Applying for the next cycle

Postby totoro » Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 am

Regarding your PS, I think founding a company is a good topic, but maybe you want to change the way you write about it. Make sure you have at least a couple friends take a look at it - an objective eye is always a good thing to have just to make sure there aren't any red flags or anything.

Regarding taking the LSAT, are you reasonably confident you can do better this time? Did you way underperform or understudy last time? I would suggest you hold off on retaking until you are pretty confident you can do better (i.e. you've tightened up your PT scores to a consistent range which you would be happy with). If you feel like you need until Oct. to achieve this, you should probably wait and take the Oct. one. IMO applying in Sept. vs. Oct. does not make that much of a difference.... many schools don't start reviewing until Oct/Nov and it's still very early in the cycle.

dnptan

Re: Applying for the next cycle

Postby dnptan » Mon May 20, 2013 11:19 am

Good information, thanks!

Yeah I only had a month to study for the Dec LSAT last cycle, as I decided really late that I wanted to give law school a shot (mostly from the nature of my job - I realized I liked it). My PS was crafted over 2 months, with a lot of input from people. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I'm also sure I don't want to send a carbon copy of it this year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”