3.19 w/ kids Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chugachjed

New

3.19 w/ kids

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 3:56 am

I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???

sublime

Diamond

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Post by sublime » Fri May 17, 2013 4:04 am

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 am

sublime12089 wrote: law schools won't give a shit about your kids.

they just care about numbers

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 am

How is UW feeling about splitters these days?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri May 17, 2013 9:33 am

IAFG wrote:How is UW feeling about splitters these days?
I got in with a 3.25/166.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 10:50 am

I don't think they care much about kids but kids go a long way in explaining my less than stellar gpa. 3.25/166 getting in is encouraging, I wonder if it makes any difference that my wife is going there too. Either way I'm perfectly content with Seattle U. Mostly because of the free rent, the GI bill, and proximity to good skiing.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Out with a 3.1/167, but I don't have kids

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am

chugachjed wrote:I don't think they care much about kids but kids go a long way in explaining my less than stellar gpa. 3.25/166 getting in is encouraging, I wonder if it makes any difference that my wife is going there too. Either way I'm perfectly content with Seattle U. Mostly because of the free rent, the GI bill, and proximity to good skiing.
Hold up.

Study till you can break 170 then move your family to a T14. You have a ridiculous opportunity with the GI Bill, don't get complacent with it. Also, if you were an officer you'll get a pretty substantial boost to your cycle (enlisted seems to get a boost too, but not as noticeable). If you get 170+ you can look at EDing UVA or possibly NU RD. These schools are options with those numbers without being a veteran, so with it you have a great shot. Also, both participate in YRP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am

Waitlisted with a 3.18/167. But I`m not a resident, and a non-URM, 2 yrs out of undergrad. If you score 168 or above, I'd say you're a shoe-in for UW. Good luck!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 am

TheThriller wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Out with a 3.1/167, but I don't have kids
No kids, white male, non-resident, 10 year academic break before finishing school.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am

Washington is the only state I'm going to I've got family support there and did I mention free rent? And I'm not going until fall 2014. Since I will be coming home to practice in Alaska school prestige isn't something I'm too concerned about.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 am

chugachjed wrote:Washington is the only state I'm going to I've got family support there and did I mention free rent? And I'm not going until fall 2014. Since I will be coming home to practice in Alaska school prestige isn't something I'm too concerned about.
Still, you might as well take full advantage of the opportunity you have. If you really won't leave Washington, study hard for the LSAT and gun for University of Washington.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri May 17, 2013 12:14 pm

chugachjed wrote:Washington is the only state I'm going to I've got family support there and did I mention free rent? And I'm not going until fall 2014. Since I will be coming home to practice in Alaska school prestige isn't something I'm too concerned about.
I'm not familiar with the Alaska market, but if that's true then I can see UW being a good plan for you. Do you know if they are a YRP participant (assuming basic gi bill won't cover everything)?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri May 17, 2013 4:00 pm

chugachjed wrote:I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???
Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm

what kind of job are you looking for post LS?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm

PRgradBYU wrote: Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...
You'll be fine if you do this. UW is a great school for someone in your position, especially if you nab lots of cash or possibly a full ride from them.

GL!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote: Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...
You'll be fine if you do this. UW is a great school for someone in your position, especially if you nab lots of cash or possibly a full ride from them.

GL!
Pretty sure UW never gives full rides and is known for being incredibly stingy overall, but this guy has the GI bill so it doesn't matter.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:what kind of job are you looking for post LS?
I want to start out as either a GAL or work in PIL for a few years and then move on to a small town and be a GP until I'm old.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
chugachjed wrote:I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???
Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars
That's why, but its honestly better than I thought it would be. Here's UW:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm

chugachjed wrote:Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.
You have have a rare opportunity with the GI bill paying for LS. Why not put a little work in and go to a really solid regional school? Why waste an opportunity like that? Don't sell yourself short.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't think I'm selling myself short. I work full time, take care of my kids (wife travels for work a lot), and study for the lsat. I am definitely shooting for UW, but I will not be disheartened if I get into Seattle U and not UW. I'm not planning on taking the June LSAT, I'm going to wait until October to give me the best shot at a great score and getting applications in early. June would be better but like I said I'm PTing in the 162 range. First PT was 147 no studying second was 162 with just a couple days of studying between the two. I've been focusing on LGs because that is where I am losing points. Thanks for all the encouragement, it helps.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 17, 2013 8:29 pm

chugachjed wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.
Then don't go to law school. Srs.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
chugachjed wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Then don't go to law school. Srs.
Thank you for your deeply considered and constructive suggestion.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”