3.19 w/ kids

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 3:56 am

I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15396
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby sublime » Fri May 17, 2013 4:04 am

..

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 am

sublime wrote: law schools won't give a shit about your kids.




they just care about numbers

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby IAFG » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 am

How is UW feeling about splitters these days?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri May 17, 2013 9:33 am

IAFG wrote:How is UW feeling about splitters these days?


I got in with a 3.25/166.

chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 10:50 am

I don't think they care much about kids but kids go a long way in explaining my less than stellar gpa. 3.25/166 getting in is encouraging, I wonder if it makes any difference that my wife is going there too. Either way I'm perfectly content with Seattle U. Mostly because of the free rent, the GI bill, and proximity to good skiing.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby TheThriller » Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
IAFG wrote:How is UW feeling about splitters these days?


I got in with a 3.25/166.


Out with a 3.1/167, but I don't have kids

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am

chugachjed wrote:I don't think they care much about kids but kids go a long way in explaining my less than stellar gpa. 3.25/166 getting in is encouraging, I wonder if it makes any difference that my wife is going there too. Either way I'm perfectly content with Seattle U. Mostly because of the free rent, the GI bill, and proximity to good skiing.

Hold up.

Study till you can break 170 then move your family to a T14. You have a ridiculous opportunity with the GI Bill, don't get complacent with it. Also, if you were an officer you'll get a pretty substantial boost to your cycle (enlisted seems to get a boost too, but not as noticeable). If you get 170+ you can look at EDing UVA or possibly NU RD. These schools are options with those numbers without being a veteran, so with it you have a great shot. Also, both participate in YRP.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby unclepete » Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am

Waitlisted with a 3.18/167. But I`m not a resident, and a non-URM, 2 yrs out of undergrad. If you score 168 or above, I'd say you're a shoe-in for UW. Good luck!

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 am

TheThriller wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
IAFG wrote:How is UW feeling about splitters these days?


I got in with a 3.25/166.


Out with a 3.1/167, but I don't have kids


No kids, white male, non-resident, 10 year academic break before finishing school.

chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am

Washington is the only state I'm going to I've got family support there and did I mention free rent? And I'm not going until fall 2014. Since I will be coming home to practice in Alaska school prestige isn't something I'm too concerned about.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby North » Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 am

chugachjed wrote:Washington is the only state I'm going to I've got family support there and did I mention free rent? And I'm not going until fall 2014. Since I will be coming home to practice in Alaska school prestige isn't something I'm too concerned about.

Still, you might as well take full advantage of the opportunity you have. If you really won't leave Washington, study hard for the LSAT and gun for University of Washington.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 17, 2013 12:14 pm

chugachjed wrote:Washington is the only state I'm going to I've got family support there and did I mention free rent? And I'm not going until fall 2014. Since I will be coming home to practice in Alaska school prestige isn't something I'm too concerned about.

I'm not familiar with the Alaska market, but if that's true then I can see UW being a good plan for you. Do you know if they are a YRP participant (assuming basic gi bill won't cover everything)?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 17, 2013 4:00 pm

chugachjed wrote:I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???


Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm

what kind of job are you looking for post LS?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...


You'll be fine if you do this. UW is a great school for someone in your position, especially if you nab lots of cash or possibly a full ride from them.

GL!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...


You'll be fine if you do this. UW is a great school for someone in your position, especially if you nab lots of cash or possibly a full ride from them.

GL!

Pretty sure UW never gives full rides and is known for being incredibly stingy overall, but this guy has the GI bill so it doesn't matter.

chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:what kind of job are you looking for post LS?

I want to start out as either a GAL or work in PIL for a few years and then move on to a small town and be a GP until I'm old.

chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
chugachjed wrote:I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???


Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...

Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 pm


User avatar
North
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby North » Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm

chugachjed wrote:Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.

You have have a rare opportunity with the GI bill paying for LS. Why not put a little work in and go to a really solid regional school? Why waste an opportunity like that? Don't sell yourself short.

chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't think I'm selling myself short. I work full time, take care of my kids (wife travels for work a lot), and study for the lsat. I am definitely shooting for UW, but I will not be disheartened if I get into Seattle U and not UW. I'm not planning on taking the June LSAT, I'm going to wait until October to give me the best shot at a great score and getting applications in early. June would be better but like I said I'm PTing in the 162 range. First PT was 147 no studying second was 162 with just a couple days of studying between the two. I've been focusing on LGs because that is where I am losing points. Thanks for all the encouragement, it helps.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby IAFG » Fri May 17, 2013 8:29 pm

chugachjed wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
chugachjed wrote:I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???


Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...

Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.

Then don't go to law school. Srs.

chugachjed
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 am

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Postby chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
chugachjed wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
chugachjed wrote:I did not do as well in my undergrad as I could have. During the course of getting my BA in History my wife and I had 2 kids and I was a full time stay at home parent getting classes in when I could, lots of night classes and working nights and weekends. My bad semesters were right after kids were born (you never get to sleep or work on anything for more than 15 minutes at a time). I've been studying LSAT stuff for a couple weeks and I am PTing in the 160s LG's are my stumbling block. I'm not trying to get into HYS I'm shooting for UW or Seattle U. I have work experience at a law firm as a legal assistant/paralegal drafting documents, filing motions, amendments and whatnot. I'm guessing I'll be able to pull down a mid/high 160's but I'm shooting for 170. Do I have a shot???


Score in the high 160s and shoot for UW. Do NOT attend Seattle U...

Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.

Then don't go to law school. Srs.


Thank you for your deeply considered and constructive suggestion.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Justtrying2help and 4 guests