Can I get into a good law school with a 3.2 GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laww

Re: Can I get into a good law school with a 3.2 GPA?

Postby laww » Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am

Is Indian considered URM at law schools?

How much will my volunteering and work experience count? I only got my EAD recently so I started working last year and I was 20 yrs old ._. at my first job.

Finally, many of you have said that I need to do a good app so I can stand out. How exactly do I go about doing that? Any tips will be appreciated!

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 am

We have some threads pertaining to the other parts of the application.

Essentially, you'll want to write a strong personal statement. This is your chance to show your personality and interests to the admissions committee. Tying in your talk with your coworker about ip law, the google acquisition of Motorola patents and how this informs your interest in law would be solid, but you have two pages so lead into that with other significant interests, maybe how your volunteering got you on the path to working in a law firm.

Then you want a good diversity statement. You should write about a distinguishing experience, interest, or background that will give you more character, perhaps something that further informs your interest in law.

For both of these essays, you want to keep in mind that the goal is to prove you'll be a good student, a good fit for law school, and a worthy addition to the intellectual community of the student.

Finally, you will probably want a solid addenda explaining why your GPA is where it is. You have to take ownership of your mistakes and maturity. Don't bemoan the subject and its circumstances. Say that it happened, it doesn't reflect your better capabilities, your ug studies did not correspond to your actual interests unlike law, and your LSAT score will be a better indicator of your performance.

laww

Postby laww » Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 am

Wow thank you for that information.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”