2 questions about admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itachiuchiha

2 questions about admissions

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 pm

what does it mean to blanket the t14?

how ineffective is a bad standardize tester addendum? Is it just mere excuse making? or can you show that the SAT was a poor indicator and the LSAT will be also.

Br3v

Re: 2 questions about admissions

Postby Br3v » Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:what does it mean to blanket the t14?

how ineffective is a bad standardize tester addendum? Is it just mere excuse making? or can you show that the SAT was a poor indicator and the LSAT will be also.

Blanket t14 means apply to every top 14 school (Yale through Georgetown).

Also, I wouldn't provide a "bad test taker addendum". 1) there is a lot of literature out there saying that Adcoms look at it and go "well if your bad at tests you'll be bad at law school and the legal profession". and 2) because adcoms don't care how you will do in law school for the most part, they just need to keep their median LSATs at the target.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu May 16, 2013 11:33 pm

You make a quilt with all the t14 logos/crests. Like this, but for all 14 schools:

Then you send a photo to the admissions committees. It's a way of showing how much you care.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 17, 2013 4:37 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

You make a quilt with all the t14 logos/crests. Like this, but for all 14 schools:

Then you send a photo to the admissions committees. It's a way of showing how much you care.

I see what you did there...

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Brilliant! Hhaahaha

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun May 19, 2013 10:56 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

ohhhh, so does that help you get admitted?

lol

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:how ineffective is a bad standardize tester addendum? Is it just mere excuse making? or can you show that the SAT was a poor indicator and the LSAT will be also.

Very ineffective. You need several things to be true:
1) You need to score low on the SATs. I'm talking LOW. Like 10th% low.
2) You need to take that SAT score, rock grades at a school that will accept you, transfer to a great school, and still get top grades.
3) You need to absolutely bomb the LSAT. No, "Well, I have a 3.95 GPA, so my 157 isn't comparable, so I'm bad at tests." You need to, again, be in a bottom percentile.

Only then can you legitimately claim that you are a bad standardized test taker who can still excel in a rigorous academic institution. Without one of these things, the essay will be viewed as making excuses. Heck, even with all of them, it's not likely to be taken well.

I have never personally worked with someone for whom I thought it was a good idea to include this addendum, and I don't expect that to change.

Vexed

Postby Vexed » Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

bp shinners wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:how ineffective is a bad standardize tester addendum? Is it just mere excuse making? or can you show that the SAT was a poor indicator and the LSAT will be also.

Very ineffective. You need several things to be true:
1) You need to score low on the SATs. I'm talking LOW. Like 10th% low.
2) You need to take that SAT score, rock grades at a school that will accept you, transfer to a great school, and still get top grades.
3) You need to absolutely bomb the LSAT. No, "Well, I have a 3.95 GPA, so my 157 isn't comparable, so I'm bad at tests." You need to, again, be in a bottom percentile.

Only then can you legitimately claim that you are a bad standardized test taker who can still excel in a rigorous academic institution. Without one of these things, the essay will be viewed as making excuses. Heck, even with all of them, it's not likely to be taken well.

I have never personally worked with someone for whom I thought it was a good idea to include this addendum, and I don't expect that to change.

All things considered, if you truly are a bad test taker, I'm inclined to believe that #2 is near impossible to pull off for the majority of majors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”