ABA Regulations on Double Depositing Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BitterSplitter

Bronze

ABA Regulations on Double Depositing

Post by BitterSplitter » Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jump_man

Bronze

Re: ABA Regulations on Double Depositing

Post by jump_man » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I put down a deposit at multiple schools - I'm not sure if the ABA has any rules that prohibit this, but individual schools might have their own restrictions. I can tell you that schools know when you put down multiple deposits (they are told by LSAC), and they can make your life difficult.

On the other hand, I was able to leverage more scholarship money when a school learned that I was seriously considering other options. Best of luck with your adventures!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

ABA has no rule on double depositing.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Thu May 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Thu May 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Thu May 16, 2013 7:35 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
jump_man wrote: but individual schools might have their own restrictions.
I thought a seat deposit would effectively act as a contractual agreement between the school and applicant in the sense that if I deposit I am legally gauranteed that spot if I should choose it regardless of their rules? Maybe I'm just projecting my libertarian ideals onto the law school admissions process lol
When you pay a seat deposit, the school is contractually obligated to give you a seat (with a few exceptions; e.g. If you commit a crime). However, the person paying the deposit is not contractually bound to attend the school where they paid the deposit. Students decide not to attend schools for all kinds of reasons, after paying a seat deposit. At my school, we even had a few students switch schools during the first week of classes - I assume they got off waitlists and decided to go to a better school.

Thanks for the kinds wishes!

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
jump_man wrote: but individual schools might have their own restrictions.
I thought a seat deposit would effectively act as a contractual agreement between the school and applicant in the sense that if I deposit I am legally gauranteed that spot if I should choose it regardless of their rules? Maybe I'm just projecting my libertarian ideals onto the law school admissions process lol
some schools pull any merit aid if you are double deposited after a certain date, usually June 1

thatgumyoulike

New

Post by thatgumyoulike » Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Check with the schools. USC won't let you dual deposit if they give you a scholarship, for example.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”