Letter of Rec Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bombaysippin

Letter of Rec Advice

Postby bombaysippin » Wed May 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Okay I tried to use the search function and went through about 10 pages...and I couldn't find all too much, but maybe my search words sucked lol.

My somewhat dilemma is that I've been out of school for about a year now and I did not keep in contact all that much with the profs that I was hoping to have write me a rec. Recently contacted one from 2 years ago that I asked awhile back if she could write me one, but so far no response...

I'm getting a rec from my legal services internship (not that I think what the internship was matters, but for the sake of details) from a lawyer that I worked under, but I know this does not really count as an "academic" LOR.

My question to TLS is what do you all think about a recommendation from an academic prof that you did not receive an A in? My LSDAS gpa is a 3.81 so I don't know if it's a good thing to get a LOR from a non "A" class.

The background to this story is that I am absolutely sure I would have received an A, but I failed the midterm. It was completely my fault, because I was unprepared....so unprepared as in I did not know I had an exam on the day it was given. I talked to the prof after the exam and apologized, telling him that this is not a reflection of my work and who I am and that I would continue to prove to him what kind of student I was.

Through all of my remaining work, I believe I did just this. I actively participated in class every day (including before my F), and nailed the Final with a 98, but even with that, my final grade fell short to a B+. I know he liked me during class and I mean we didn't really meet for any office hours and such, but he knew of my law school aspirations and such and would say hi to me on campus whenever we saw each other. Other things too, this class was broken up into groups competing against each other and I led my group to finish first. The LOR I am hopefully going to receive would either be from this prof or another prof I kinda had a relationship with and got an A in class, but the vibe I'm getting from the latter is that he already forgot who I was even though I did keep in contact with him through my internship and such...

I know maybe a lot of people will say LORs don't matter, but at the same time in the event it does matter slightly... I don't want it to reflect badly.

I was reading Yale's admission blog about LORs and it said something like to absolutely have 2 "academic" LORs especially since I haven't been graduated from school for so long and plan on applying for the next cycle.

Sorry for a long post TLS, but I appreciate any feedback.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Letter of Rec Advice

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed May 15, 2013 1:06 pm

you should definitely have two academic LORs - i'm not sure about the "B" prof though. He will either say you got a B in the class without qualifying it, or he will mention that you forgot about the midterm... either way, not good. Given that you have likely taken a lot of classes and gotten As in them, adcoms will wonder why you couldn't get one of them to write a letter for you, especially as it does not sound like this particular prof had a hugely special relationship with you.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 pm

If you can, go ask in person.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:you should definitely have two academic LORs - i'm not sure about the "B" prof though. He will either say you got a B in the class without qualifying it, or he will mention that you forgot about the midterm... either way, not good. Given that you have likely taken a lot of classes and gotten As in them, adcoms will wonder why you couldn't get one of them to write a letter for you, especially as it does not sound like this particular prof had a hugely special relationship with you.

Damnnn lol, thats exactly kind of what I was worried about (schools wondering why I couldn't/just didn't get a LOR from a class I got an A in since my gpa says I got a bunch). And if the prof did qualify it...the fact that I did mess up BIG time. Was just hoping though maybe if he heavily qualified it and all of my other work was exemplary it would be okay...but I mean yea I can see law schools thinking maybe like why give a chance to a kid that only rose to the occasion after screwing up in the first place.

It's just like a lot of other people, I went to a large school and so a lot of my classes were huge lectures. I mean I definitely had smaller classes too of like 20-30 people, but even though I got As in those classes, I don't think I ever really stood out (except for the very very few classes I actually really enjoyed, two of which are these male profs lol).

Hmm...theres one prof that I actually took 3 classes with, frehsman year for intro micro econ100 (B+ though sigh lol), junior year summer online course for econ in American history300 (A), and Economics of Cooperative Enterprises300 (A). But, I really don't think he remembers me at all and senioritus hit hard when I took my last class with him...aka morning class that I sometimes just didn't go cause I slept in...or I think I might have even fallen asleep like nodding off, not legit napping with my head down...but class was only like 15 kids so it might have been obvious, BUT then again if he barely remembers me I can maybe try to just jog his memory of the good things like my active participation in the 2 A classes and obviously the good work I did to get As in those classes :lol: ?

*Random update, the one professor that I reached out to already just got back to me via email and said she would write me a rec!

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Keasbey wrote:If you can, go ask in person.

Dunno what this is really in reference to? I emailed the one prof who just got back to me if she could meet me in person, but she just replied that she would happy to write me one as long as I provide her examples of my work with her, resume, etc. She kind of completely ignored wanting to meet cause I did want to try to make it more personal lol.

At the same time, I'd be lying to say I wasn't a bit relieved cause meeting means a 2 hour drive there, meeting, and then another 2 hour drive back home so this saves me a lot of time. And though I am on TLS right now, all of my other hours are devoted to studying for June lol.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Usually, if you were in the class, and you did well, and you can give the prof information about yourself/your goals, profs will agree to write a letter even if they didn't know you very well. Especially if you can point to things you did in their course that they can talk about (any courses where you had to complete some kind of major project, or got the best grade in the class on something?). It feels weird when you don't know the profs well, and it feels like you need to stand out, but you really don't (as much as it feels like you need to). It's easier, of course, if you have a relationship with the prof, but it's part of their jobs to write LORs.

(I mean, a prof might still say no, but it's not remotely out of line to ask.)

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Usually, if you were in the class, and you did well, and you can give the prof information about yourself/your goals, profs will agree to write a letter even if they didn't know you very well. Especially if you can point to things you did in their course that they can talk about (any courses where you had to complete some kind of major project, or got the best grade in the class on something?). It feels weird when you don't know the profs well, and it feels like you need to stand out, but you really don't (as much as it feels like you need to). It's easier, of course, if you have a relationship with the prof, but it's part of their jobs to write LORs.

(I mean, a prof might still say no, but it's not remotely out of line to ask.)

Yea I know what you mean...that's how I'm getting one of my academic LORs. Small class, actively participated everyday, had major projects (dunno if I was the top though), got an A. The prof asked me why I want to be a lawyer, recent resume, course work, etc.

Hoping to hear a bit more from other TLSers, but I am now leaning more toward the prof I had a relationship with while I had my internship (got an A in his class before the internship semester). Unless I can think of another small class with a professor I got an A with.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 am

*Bump

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”