Phone call with admissions dean- questions to ask Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
senorhosh

Bronze

Phone call with admissions dean- questions to ask

Post by senorhosh » Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 am

I have a phone call with an Admissions dean (not law school dean) tomorrow.
I have a list of questions to ask. They range from questions about application process to the different programs/clinics the school offers.

Will the ADMISSIONS dean be able to answer questions about the law school that doesn't necessarily concern the application process? Ie: employment prospects, clinical programs and its benefits, OCI stuff, etc.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Phone call with admissions dean- questions to ask

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 am

Yes.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Wed May 15, 2013 1:59 pm

senorhosh wrote:Will the ADMISSIONS dean be able to answer questions about the law school that doesn't necessarily concern the application process? Ie: employment prospects, clinical programs and its benefits, OCI stuff, etc.
Yes, although personally I don't think I would trust anything an admissions dean has to say since their job is to sell you on the school. I think most relevant information can be had by googling/TLS/etc.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 pm

buddytyler wrote:
senorhosh wrote:Will the ADMISSIONS dean be able to answer questions about the law school that doesn't necessarily concern the application process? Ie: employment prospects, clinical programs and its benefits, OCI stuff, etc.
Yes, although personally I don't think I would trust anything an admissions dean has to say since their job is to sell you on the school. I think most relevant information can be had by googling/TLS/etc.
In general I would agree, but I had a good experience with the dean of my local law school. I was asking about jobs prospects for New York and he was honest that while they send some students to New York firms every year it's always the top of their class so a school in New York would be better, though a lot more expensive. But yeah, for the most part take anything a dean says with a grain of salt since their job is to sell you on the school.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

As an admissions dean, my 2 cents would be not to ask any questions whose answers can easily be found by spending 10 seconds reading the school's online FAQ or viewbook. For most schools with decent websites, this includes the application process, class stats, and employment stats (to the extent of what is in the ABA reports, which should be online by now), as well as things like programs offered (clinics, centers, externships, study abroad, journals, etc.).

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”