Backup Plans

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kurry Kid

Backup Plans

Postby Kurry Kid » Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi guys. I am about to finish up my third year in undergrad and I will be starting my LSAT prep next week for the October LSAT. However, I am unsure about what I would do if I do not achieve my goal of a 170+. I know one thing I can do is take the December LSAT, but I don't know how much time I would have for that with school starting up again in September. I know I can wait for the next cycle if my score isn't what I want it to be, but I unsure about what I would do in the mean time.

The two things that stick out to me would be getting a job or getting a master's degree. If I get a job, that would be great, but the problem with that is I would have to get one first. I think that is my preferred option of the two, but it's not a guaranteed backup plan. If I do not get a job, I can pursue a master's degree, but I do not want my GPA to suffer from a master's degree. Would law schools care a lot about my master's GPA or would they mainly focus on my undergrad GPA? I currently have a 3.7X in undergrad, so I do not want a potentially lower GPA in a master's program to bring me down in the application process.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated (like doing nothing but LSAT prep for a year lol). Speaking of which, would law schools care if I took a year off just to improve my LSAT score? I would think that they want to see me do more in that year like school, work, etc. (Maybe I can get in shape over that year while studying for the LSAT!) Anyways, enough of my ideas. I'd like to hear some of yours :D

northwood

Re: Backup Plans

Postby northwood » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

law schools only care about grades that you got in undergrad. A master degree doesn't count in your GPA calculations.

That being said, do not go into any program just because you can find a job. Do not take out 100K plus in loans to fund said program. Focus on your last year o undergrad, and use your downtime to focus on what you want to do (do this over this summer as well). I strongly recommend taking AT LEAST one year off between UG and LS. Not only will this help make sure that this is a decision you want to make, but it will also help you decide what you want to do, either law related, or otherwise. If you really want to, use your summer to pep for the LSAT and see how you are doing. Use the search function to help you ( im sure there will be an October LSAT study thread you can join). If your scores aren't hear a 170, then you will have to decide is it worth it, or should you move on.

If you do decide to go, and have to wait a cycle, do some volunteer work, or work a menial job. The job will help give you motivation to keep on studying when you don't want to, especially if you hate it, and teach you how to handle adverse working conditions ( don't get a job with the intention of hating it, but if you do end up hating the job, well sometimes it happens)

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Kurry Kid

Postby Kurry Kid » Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks a lot, guys. That helped!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”