/

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Micdiddy

Re: is applying early in the rolling process like really good??

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 am

elterrible78 wrote:
sublime wrote:You do far,far,far better/more interesting/more useful things in your downtime than I do.

You know what I did when I was sick last? I watched all the British and American episodes of Kitchen Nightmares on Netflix. 8)

I did the same thing with Breaking Bad and most of Sons of Anarchy the second-to-the-last time I was sick ;-)

Well now your credibility is just ruined. Most of Sons of Anarchy? Should be all IMO.
But seriously I can't imagine anything worse than a ElTerrible love fest. Gonna dig into the Ben and Jerry's and waste my night watching Mama.

Vexed

Postby Vexed » Tue May 14, 2013 2:02 am

elterrible78 wrote:
Vexed wrote:Does this run all the way back to say, September?

With schools that open applications in September, definitely.

Sorry to pester, but you seem like the best possible person to answer something for me... of course, you might not remember, so this could all be moot.

What, based on your analysis, would be more advantageous - applying in September with a 3.66, or, delaying to mid-October with a 3.7? Would the small net GPA increase trump the 10% bump for applying to certain schools in September?

(My school offers split session, 7.5 week classes, and said grades for a few of the classes I'm slated to take in the fall would hit my transcript in early October, in case you're wondering how this hypothetical is possible).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 14, 2013 2:26 am

Vexed wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Sorry to pester, but you seem like the best possible person to answer something for me... of course, you might not remember, so this could all be moot.

What, based on your analysis, would be more advantageous - applying in September with a 3.66, or, delaying to mid-October with a 3.7? Would the small net GPA increase trump the 10% bump for applying to certain schools in September?

(My school offers split session, 7.5 week classes, and said grades for a few of the classes I'm slated to take in the fall would hit my transcript in early October, in case you're wondering how this hypothetical is possible).

While I cannot exactly answer your question, I can tell you that you may apply September and just update your transcript October. Though they'll have your app sitting around for a month, few schools will have made a decision already (wait to apply for Duke pt and such, but basically you'll have time for the update, similar to a person who applies Sept and retakes LSAT Oct).

Vexed

Postby Vexed » Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 am

Micdiddy wrote:
Vexed wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

While I cannot exactly answer your question, I can tell you that you may apply September and just update your transcript October. Though they'll have your app sitting around for a month, few schools will have made a decision already (wait to apply for Duke pt and such, but basically you'll have time for the update, similar to a person who applies Sept and retakes LSAT Oct).

Thanks. I guess my question was more targeted really towards just Duke PT, now that I think about it. It's a pretty trivial inquiry, I know.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Last edited by t-14orbust on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 pm

elterrible78 wrote:

Even schools like Yale, where they wait to make decisions? If you don't mind sending me the data too I would appreciate it, since I'm am now kinda freaked out about taking the LSAT in October since I can't apply until early November probably :shock:

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 pm

elterrible78 wrote:I have it all put together in a PDF...there are problems with it, which I point out, and I plan on breaking the stuff out again late in the summer or early in the application cycle, because I do think that it is useful information for people who are applying and trying to make strategic decisions (to ED or not, what are my chances, etc.) I plan on going beyond the T14 with it so as not to be an elitist prick (which I'm not), and I want to incorporate the current cycle into the analysis (and maybe even analyze it separately as well to see just how "epic" the cycle really was), but if you're interested in the current, imperfect document I put together, just shoot me a PM and I'll send it along to you.

I'm actually happy to know that there are people interested, because back when I first floated this a few months ago, precious few people really seemed to give a tin shit.

PM'd. This sounds pretty fantastic.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:20 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Even schools like Yale, where they wait to make decisions? If you don't mind sending me the data too I would appreciate it, since I'm am now kinda freaked out about taking the LSAT in October since I can't apply until early November probably :shock:

Will send a copy to the folks who PM me e-mail addresses, definitely.

And don't let it worry you...it's not like November is super late in the application cycle, it's really not a big deal. Applying earlier is better, for sure, but how much of a difference it makes definitely varies by school, and you won't be shut out (or even close to it) of getting into any school based on a November application.

And to answer your specific question, the difference it makes at Yale is definitely the smallest of the T14, at 10% (Chicago was tops - by far - with 70.5%)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”