I'm split. Advice greatly appreciated

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
red52

I'm split. Advice greatly appreciated

Postby red52 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 pm

I just got admitted from the wait-list into UNC Law, but I've already put a deposit down on a different, slightly lower ranked school that has given me a nice scholarship.

Thing is, I like the area of the second option better, but like the opportunities the first school gives (especially in govt. public service).

I'm not looking for a trash talk thread, just advice on my decision.. I have two days to make the decision and I'm probably the most confused I've ever been. Thanks ahead of time.

sinfiery

Re: I'm split. Advice greatly appreciated

Postby sinfiery » Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Go to school where you want to work. Minimize your debt.

North

Postby North » Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 pm

red52 wrote:I just got admitted from the wait-list into UNC Law, but I've already put a deposit down on a different, slightly lower ranked school that has given me a nice scholarship.

Thing is, I like the area of the second option better, but like the opportunities the first school gives (especially in govt. public service).

I'm not looking for a trash talk thread, just advice on my decision.. I have two days to make the decision and I'm probably the most confused I've ever been. Thanks ahead of time.

What is the other school?

What is the total cost of attendance for each school, including cost of living (food, rent, etc.)?

Where do you want to work?

What kind of job do you want that requires a JD?

How are you financing your degree?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

sinfiery wrote:Go to school where you want to work. Minimize your debt.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 pm

I would just go part time for free somewhere and intern then work at a small firm at the same time. That way you have no debt and a job to boot.

red52

Postby red52 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm

North wrote:
red52 wrote:I just got admitted from the wait-list into UNC Law, but I've already put a deposit down on a different, slightly lower ranked school that has given me a nice scholarship.

What is the other school?

What is the total cost of attendance for each school, including cost of living (food, rent, etc.)?

Where do you want to work?

What kind of job do you want that requires a JD?

How are you financing your degree?

I really like government public interest, international human rights, and possibly corporate law... In other words, I'm not exactly sure. To be honest, the cost would probably even out to around the same at the end of everything, given that the other school is in NYC. Oh, its Cardozo by the way since you asked.

Where would I like to practice? A big city for sure. LA, NY, DC, all options I consider extremely viable (I know LA isn't realistic, I just included it because I'm a city person).

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 pm

i think you should just stick with dozo (with $$$). UNC is okay, but going at sticker would be rough.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 am

sinfiery wrote:Go to school where you want to work. Minimize your debt.

+1

Err26

Postby Err26 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

I just got off the UNC WL in the same email that you did, I'm guessing. Look at the overall COA. Even a fairly substantial scholarship from Cardozo will not equal the cost of living and tuition in Chapel Hill. Scholarships aren't for general bragging rights, they're for decreasing student loans after graduation. If you're dead set on NYC, than yeah Cardozo may be better - but their students aren't getting many big law jobs in NYC anyway. UNC will give you generally better geographic reach for probably the same price. I was in a same dilemma between W&M at 20k/yr and Dozo at 35k/yr. Even with an extra 15k/yr from Dozo, W&M was still about 5k/yr cheaper. My advice is to make some cost calculation spreadsheets - My guess is they will lead you to UNC.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Err26 wrote:I just got off the UNC WL in the same email that you did, I'm guessing. Look at the overall COA. Even a fairly substantial scholarship from Cardozo will not equal the cost of living and tuition in Chapel Hill. Scholarships aren't for general bragging rights, they're for decreasing student loans after graduation. If you're dead set on NYC, than yeah Cardozo may be better - but their students aren't getting many big law jobs in NYC anyway. UNC will give you generally better geographic reach for probably the same price. I was in a same dilemma between W&M at 20k/yr and Dozo at 35k/yr. Even with an extra 15k/yr from Dozo, W&M was still about 5k/yr cheaper. My advice is to make some cost calculation spreadsheets - My guess is they will lead you to UNC.

They are about equal... As far as where I want to practice, for me it's big city or government or bust. I want DC, NYC, LA, Chi, Boston... etc, something like that. I was born and raised in the city and I guess that's what makes this decision so difficult.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 pm

red52 wrote:
Err26 wrote:I just got off the UNC WL in the same email that you did, I'm guessing. Look at the overall COA. Even a fairly substantial scholarship from Cardozo will not equal the cost of living and tuition in Chapel Hill. Scholarships aren't for general bragging rights, they're for decreasing student loans after graduation. If you're dead set on NYC, than yeah Cardozo may be better - but their students aren't getting many big law jobs in NYC anyway. UNC will give you generally better geographic reach for probably the same price. I was in a same dilemma between W&M at 20k/yr and Dozo at 35k/yr. Even with an extra 15k/yr from Dozo, W&M was still about 5k/yr cheaper. My advice is to make some cost calculation spreadsheets - My guess is they will lead you to UNC.

They are about equal... As far as where I want to practice, for me it's big city or government or bust. I want DC, NYC, LA, Chi, Boston... etc, something like that. I was born and raised in the city and I guess that's what makes this decision so difficult.

You shouldn't be going to any of these schools for your goals.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
red52 wrote:

Good thing that isn't what I asked.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm

red52 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
red52 wrote:

Good thing that isn't what I asked.

So do you already know that you're making a horrible decision?

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:So do you already know that you're making a horrible decision?

Do you know you have no idea what my goals entail or anything about me, yet you sit behind a keyboard and tell me I have no idea what I'm doing? The world, and the legal community needs less self-serving assholes such as yourself.

Why don't you shut the fuck up. If you don't have advice I asked for then leave this thread.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Tue May 14, 2013 8:04 pm

red52 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:So do you already know that you're making a horrible decision?

Do you know you have no idea what my goals entail or anything about me, yet you sit behind a keyboard and tell me I have no idea what I'm doing? The world, and the legal community needs less self-serving assholes such as yourself.

Why don't you shut the fuck up. If you don't have advice I asked for then leave this thread.

that escalated quickly.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 8:08 pm

red52 wrote:

Your goals are stated as big city work and international law (lol). You're going to a lower tier law school in North Carolina. That's like trying to decide which gym to join because it will give you the best chance at making the NBA. UNC will place well in North Carolina and its not even good at doing that.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 pm

red52 wrote:

You must be a blast at parties.

Also, don't take Mal seriously.

Even though I completely agree with everything he's posted in this thread. Statistically speaking, neither of schools are going to get you where you're wanting to go.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
red52 wrote:

Your goals are stated as big city work and international law (lol). You're going to a lower tier law school in North Carolina. That's like trying to decide which gym to join because it will give you the best chance at making the NBA. UNC will place well in North Carolina and its not even good at doing that.

Aside from the big city part, that isn't at all accurate. So thanks anyways boss. You're the man.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 pm

red52 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Your goals are stated as big city work and international law (lol). You're going to a lower tier law school in North Carolina. That's like trying to decide which gym to join because it will give you the best chance at making the NBA. UNC will place well in North Carolina and its not even good at doing that.

Aside from the big city part, that isn't at all accurate. So thanks anyways boss. You're the man.

How so?

red52 wrote:I really like government public interest, international human rights, and possibly corporate law... In other words, I'm not exactly sure. To be honest, the cost would probably even out to around the same at the end of everything, given that the other school is in NYC. Oh, its Cardozo by the way since you asked.

Where would I like to practice? A big city for sure. LA, NY, DC, all options I consider extremely viable (I know LA isn't realistic, I just included it because I'm a city person).

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Even though I completely agree with everything he's posted in this thread. Statistically speaking, neither of schools are going to get you where you're wanting to go.

Why does every thread on this forum turn into a bunch of people making assumptions about people's goals and aspirations. I said I had more than one area of interest, at the top of the list is public service, international law, and corporate law.

I asked a question in this forum because I wanted a straight answer. Not a bunch of advice I already have read 50+ times on this forum.

Do not assume I want to do big law, because I don't. Frankly, I haven't even said anything about myself other than my situation and where I want to live.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:How so?

red52 wrote:
I really like government public interest, international human rights, and possibly corporate law... In other words, I'm not exactly sure.

I'm not exactly sure <--- that means I don't know what I want to do, certainly this doesn't mean I want to do international law.

The ONLY THING I said I know I want is a general area of living.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 pm

red52 wrote:where I want to live.

That's enough. According to the ABA, 10% of UNC students make it to NYC or DC COMBINED. It would be idiotic to go to this school with the intent of working in a big city not in North Carolina. LA and Boston don't even make the list so it's safe to say that less than 10 students go to either of these cities. Also LOL at international law. JUST LOL. I've also never said anything about biglaw. You're going to be facing an uphill battle finding any type of law job in your geographic preference.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

That's enough. According to the ABA, 10% of UNC students make it to NYC or DC COMBINED. It would be idiotic to go to this school with the intent of working in a big city not in North Carolina. LA and Boston don't even make the list so it's safe to say that less than 10 students go to either of these cities. Also LOL at international law. JUST LOL. I've also never said anything about biglaw. You're going to be facing an uphill battle finding any type of law job in your geographic preference.

So if I have a general interest in International law (a very light interest at that) and pick cardozo or unc I'm doomed? You are a fool.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 pm

red52 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

So if I have a general interest in International law and pick a school other than cardozo or unc I'm doomed? You are a fool.

Within your stated geographic preferences, yes. It would be insane to be "big city or bust" from this school. If you want to work in North Carolina and have a good scholarship, maybe not. I doubt you have all that good of a scholarship though.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm

(LSN profile: "I can't wait to attend school next year, the studying doesn't bother me :)")

(Won't spend time studying to retake the LSAT)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”