Tricky Situation with Ps on Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Madkow305

Tricky Situation with Ps on Transcript

Postby Madkow305 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Hey guys,

So I have "Ps" for passing 2 AP exams on my transcript for 2 courses. The problem lies in the fact that I took both of these courses in college so the P's from my AP/IB tests were not given credit and I got the credit and the grade for the courses corresponding to those exams that I took in college. Will these P's be counted as failing grades because they have a course notation next to them that states that they were not given credit?

Br3v

Re: Tricky Situation with Ps on Transcript

Postby Br3v » Mon May 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Madkow305 wrote:Hey guys,

So I have "Ps" for passing 2 AP exams on my transcript for 2 courses. The problem lies in the fact that I took both of these courses in college so the P's from my AP/IB tests were not given credit and I got the credit and the grade for the courses corresponding to those exams that I took in college. Will these P's be counted as failing grades because they have a course notation next to them that states that they were not given credit?

You'll get same answer as your other thread.

I've never heard of someone taking AP in college but I doubt that changes anything.
Call LSAC and ask if you want.

Madkow305

Postby Madkow305 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Woops, let me clarify. For example I took the college course (Macroeconomics) ECO 2013 that corresponded to the AP credit I already had and got a grade for the course. Because I did that my uni removed the credit I originally had for macroeconomics from passing the AP exam. They still have the P for the grade on the transcript but they have a course notation saying that I have no credit and there is no credit given for the AP exam. Will LSAC count that P as a failing grade since the P is not given any credit?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Madkow305 wrote:Woops, let me clarify. For example I took the college course (Macroeconomics) ECO 2013 that corresponded to the AP credit I already had and got a grade for the course. Because I did that my uni removed the credit I originally had for macroeconomics from passing the AP exam. They still have the P for the grade on the transcript but they have a course notation saying that I have no credit and there is no credit given for the AP exam. Will LSAC count that P as a failing grade since the P is not given any credit?

0/3 = 0.00
0/0 = -

It should be the latter

Madkow305

Postby Madkow305 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Let me simplify this further, I have a passing grade "P" but no credit for my passing grade. Will it be ignored in the GPA calc because it's a passing grade or will it be given a 0 because no credit was earned?

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon May 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Madkow305 wrote:Let me simplify this further, I have a passing grade "P" but no credit for my passing grade. Will it be ignored in the GPA calc because it's a passing grade or will it be given a 0 because no credit was earned?

Why don't you call or email LSAC? I don't believe you have to give any identifying information if thats your concern.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Madkow305 wrote:Let me simplify this further, I have a passing grade "P" but no credit for my passing grade. Will it be ignored in the GPA calc because it's a passing grade or will it be given a 0 because no credit was earned?

It won't matter.

Call LSAC they'll confirm.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon May 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Dude...

Everyone who passes AP gets a P on their transcript or an equivalent.
As stated, this is not factored into your LSAC GPA.

You took Macro in college at a university.
That, like all classes in college, is factored into your LSAC GPA.

The fact that your university decided to match up the two and take away some credit will have no result on LSAC side of things. In the eyes of LSAC (i don't represent LSAC obviously so call them to confirm) after you took the AP class they said "cool he is smart, but we will never care about those 3 credits" then when you took macro on campus LSAC said "woah this kid must have read Freakanomics over summer break, lets do what we always do and factor his grade into his GPA for that college class", then when your school took away your credit from the AP course LSAC said "hey, considering we never counted that AP class to begin with, we aren't going to do anything."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”