JD/MPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mike140

JD/MPA

Postby mike140 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 am

Hi all. Does anyone here have a JD/MPA? Or on your way to getting one?

For those special few, do you regret your decision and what value do you see in it? I'd ideally like to be in PI upon graduating and am really torn on whether or not to pursue it. I'd have to give up my 1L summer but it very well may be worth the sacrifice. Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

mike140

Re: JD/MPA

Postby mike140 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am

Anyone?

sd1234

Postby sd1234 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am

Also interested in this.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Current MPA student here. An MPA makes some sense as a stand-alone degree, but makes very little sense combined with a JD. You don't get access to a whole bunch of new opportunities you would have only had access to with a JD. Even a year of 0L work experience in a field you want to do PI in will be more valuable come hiring time.

Keep your 1L summer clear.

EDIT> There are obviously exceptions. If you're already so effed up in debt you're going to have to take IBR AND you're a K-JD AND you don't get your favorite 1L spot over the summer, the MPA might be worth looking into if only to give yourself an extra year to look for a job. Or if you're on an educational billet and you only get two-year chunks of time.

mike140

Postby mike140 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks twentypercentmore! It actually wouldn't cost me any extra nor would it take any more time than the normal 3 years. Based on what I want to get into, I figured that the extra knowledge/prestige of the Maxwell program would be worth it. Did you do your MPA and JD together? Or independently?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I dont see how an MPA would be at all relevant to most entry level PI jobs (public defender, legal aid attorney, etc). Most MPA students I know are just getting the degree for advancement purposes at their job. It might be different at non-regional schools though.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Not actually a JD student yet, working on an MPA for the time being. Maxwell is a tricky devil -- it's certainly a good school, but not a outstanding school. Princeton MPA, I'd say skip law school all together and just go work for the DOS or something.

Now, if we're talking Maxwell's MPA/MA-IR, then it might be worth the extra class time/lost summer/probably even an extra year.

(For what it's worth, MPAs are similar to MBAs in that outside of the very top schools, their sole purpose is internal advancement in a career. If you weren't going to get a job with just a JD, you're not going to now get that job with a JD/MPA.)

mike140

Postby mike140 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm glad I ran this by you guys because I was certain that it would help me.

Twehttam

Postby Twehttam » Mon May 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Pretty much agree with everything stated here. I have my MPA and see them as separate endeavors (the MPA being more of an exercise in leadership and having direct applications to my current position).

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 13, 2013 4:16 pm

The thing is, you'll likely have the opportunity to get the MPA for free again in the future. My agency just last year was offering people 60k for free to go get their MPAs while being paid 3/4 salary. A guy I worked with is now on his third free master's degree at Harvard. Of course, given the current financial situation the feds are backing off on all that, but we'll be living large again once the democrats take back the house. :D

mike140

Postby mike140 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Very interesting points. The thing is that I don't think I'll ever want to go back to school again haha. I already have my MBA and I think a JD/MPA would do it for me.

From what I understand, having access to the networking opportunities a Maxwell MPA would give me would be more than worth the extra classes/lost 1L summer. I know I want to do something in public service and feel that the MPA would put me in a good position to do so.

Does anyone here know a Maxwell MPA grad? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thank you to those who have contributed thus far.

mike140

Postby mike140 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Anyone?

sid.bahl

Postby sid.bahl » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Interested in this as well... also considering just getting an MPA

sid.bahl

Postby sid.bahl » Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Figured this might help for anyone interested in a JD/MPA path..

http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/uploadedFile ... pdf?n=7635

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 pm

I am a current JD/MPA student with HKS/WWS. I did a lot of thinking back and forth when I decided to enroll, and here is my take on it.

You will regret doing the dual program if:
1. You do not have a very specific idea of what you want to do coming out of school with a JD/MPA or how you are going to use the extra degree. Just going for the "networking" will not do.
2. You want to have a legal job since a MPA would be redundant.
3. If you are not going to HKS/WWS/John Hopkins or maybe Columbia/Tufts/Berkeley. Remember, your investment must justify the tuition/board plus opportunity cost and even a school like Maxwell is not going to cut it especially if you do not have ample work experience. Most MPAs who go in without relevant work experience fail miserably during the job search including those who go to the top ones.
4. You have to pay full tuition or fail to get significant funding. Especially if you are tacking on a JD.

mike140

Postby mike140 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks pastapplicant. I'm actually considering axing the law school idea and getting my MPA instead. Based on your points do you regret going for it?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”