AP Grades Counted in grade calculation for LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Madkow305

AP Grades Counted in grade calculation for LSAC

Postby Madkow305 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey guys,

So my university (University of Florida) gives a "P" for passing an AP course and earning credit for it. The P is not in any way included in the school's GPA calculation. I was wondering if this would be included in the GPA calculation by the LSAC? Also, I passed an AP test for a course but then took the course again in college and I got a grade for it, so they took my credit by examination away, just giving me the credit that I earned at the university. My transcript still shows a P for that class but now with no credits earned. Will this harm my LSAC GPA in any way?

Thanks a ton for all your help!! :D

badaboom61

Re: AP Grades Counted in grade calculation for LSAC

Postby badaboom61 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm pretty sure LSAC only factors graded courses. I had P's on my transcript, and they definitely didn't hurt me.

I think you can safely assume they'll ignore any credit for AP exams.

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Madkow305 wrote:Hey guys,

So my university (University of Florida) gives a "P" for passing an AP course and earning credit for it. The P is not in any way included in the school's GPA calculation. I was wondering if this would be included in the GPA calculation by the LSAC? Also, I passed an AP test for a course but then took the course again in college and I got a grade for it, so they took my credit by examination away, just giving me the credit that I earned at the university. My transcript still shows a P for that class but now with no credits earned. Will this harm my LSAC GPA in any way?

Doesn't count them at all.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

I had 6 AP courses that didn't count towards my LSAC GPA. All easy As. So...we are punished for being somewhat smarter than a portion of the students?

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm

qwertyboard wrote:I had 6 AP courses that didn't count towards my LSAC GPA. All easy As. So...we are punished for being somewhat smarter than a portion of the students?

AP courses aren't college courses brah.

I'm sure virtually all law students took AP courses.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun May 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Basic rule of thumb: If they called your parents because you were late too many times or if you weren't allowed to chew gum in class, the grade doesn't count.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun May 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Br3v wrote:Basic rule of thumb: If they called your parents because you were late too many times or if you weren't allowed to chew gum in class, the grade doesn't count.

we weren't allowed to chew gum in a Legal Research and Trial Advocacy course in my university, I got an A- in the course, I sure as hell wish that it did not count.

indo

Postby indo » Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 pm

qwertyboard wrote:I had 6 AP courses that didn't count towards my LSAC GPA. All easy As. So...we are punished for being somewhat smarter than a portion of the students?

AP courses are graded as 5, 4, 3, etc.

indo

Postby indo » Sun May 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Madkow305 wrote:Hey guys,

Doesn't count them at all.

So true. I took 12 AP Courses in High School . LSAC do NOT count the AP grades.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 am

I also attended the University of Florida. I can assure you that my AP grades were not counted in my LSAC transcript at all.

PM me if you're interested in app advice from a fellow Gator, by the way. My cycle ended up going pretty well.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:

I know what you mean (courses some students take in high school?) but the courses im talking about are actually bachelors courses for which I took tests and was able to skip.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 am

qwertyboard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I know what you mean (courses some students take in high school?) but the courses im talking about are actually bachelors courses for which I took tests and was able to skip.

You did these classes at college, or at high school? I've never heard of anyone taking AP classes in a college. It's always high school.

Either way P = doesn't count. You didn't get an A, you got a P. I don't see the problem here.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Mon May 13, 2013 1:26 am

Desert Fox wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You did these classes at college, or at high school? I've never heard of anyone taking AP classes in a college. It's always high school.

Either way P = doesn't count. You didn't get an A, you got a P. I don't see the problem here.

Yes, you are right. I'm not arguing.. AP or anything similar doesn't count. I'm just making a distinction because you posted that my AP were not college courses.. I never sat down in an AP course in High School nor college. I just completed some standardized tests and went straight to Calculus and other 2nd year courses. These tests are called Advance Placement tests (nothing to do with the SAT) and I didn't even get a PASS written on my transcript just an "AP"

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 am

If you don't know by now, the whole law school admissions process is pretty ridiculous.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am

senorhosh wrote:

If you don't know by now, the whole law school admissions process is pretty ridiculous.

while I agree there is some element of ridiculousness to admissions, this is not one of them. why on earth would a high school class be included in your LSAC GPA?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 pm

stillwater wrote: while I agree there is some element of ridiculousness to admissions, this is not one of them. why on earth would a high school class be included in your LSAC GPA?

Of course AP doesn't matter, but I have dual-credit classes that I took at my high school starting when I was 15. I am under the impression that these will count towards my LSDAS GPA. Is this incorrect?

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Mon May 13, 2013 2:55 pm

Pneumonia wrote:I have dual-credit classes that I took at my high school starting when I was 15. I am under the impression that these will count towards my LSDAS GPA. Is this incorrect?

Dual-credit courses absolutely count. They are more aptly described as college courses for high school credit than high school courses for college credit, in my mind.

This is something I tell every high school group I talk to because they often get told by counselors that the grades "don't count". This is often true for their undergraduate, e.g. they are through a community college which they then transfer only the credits not the grades to a 4-year university.

It cuts both ways, of course. I've seen many students who have a MUCH better UGPA due to a large number of dual-credit courses taken prior to decidedly mediocre college performance. On the other hand, I've also seen a few 3.8 college GPAs reduced to 3.5 due to dual-credit courses. I'd say the former is more common, though.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 pm

SPerez wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:I have dual-credit classes that I took at my high school starting when I was 15. I am under the impression that these will count towards my LSDAS GPA. Is this incorrect?

Dual-credit courses absolutely count. They are more aptly described as college courses for high school credit than high school courses for college credit, in my mind.

This is something I tell every high school group I talk to because they often get told by counselors that the grades "don't count". This is often true for their undergraduate, e.g. they are through a community college which they then transfer only the credits not the grades to a 4-year university.

It cuts both ways, of course. I've seen many students who have a MUCH better UGPA due to a large number of dual-credit courses taken prior to decidedly mediocre college performance. On the other hand, I've also seen a few 3.8 college GPAs reduced to 3.5 due to dual-credit courses. I'd say the former is more common, though.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

Thanks Dean. I was practically certain and wanted to make sure, if nothing else for the sake of posterity. As a member of the latter group (.50+ negative swing) who was told by a counselor that the grades wouldn't count I wish you'd have talked to my High School group. I did grow up a couple hours north of you on I-27, so perhaps I was just unlucky and missed you. Thanks again for the advice, and your contributions here.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

nope

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon May 13, 2013 7:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

nope

Late bloomer

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Everyone knows AP classes are a joke. So by taking them, you assert that you are smarter than a portion of the students — but this assertion is complete BS.

AP classes shouldn't even be discussed here. To do that, I recommend TTT collegeconfidential.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon May 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

Everyone knows AP classes are a joke. So by taking them, you assert that you are smarter than a portion of the students — but this assertion is complete BS.

AP classes shouldn't even be discussed here. To do that, I recommend TTT collegeconfidential.

This is such a dumb thread. Please stop talking. Everyone.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

nope

TTTT

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon May 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Took AP courses aced the course failed the AP. :wink:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”