Undergrad Transfer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scorch1713

Undergrad Transfer

Postby scorch1713 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:05 am

Hey guys! I had a question about how law schools view gpa's for students that transferred during their undergrad. I understand that the gpa that they report for rankings and such are calculated cumulatively, but I was wondering how much attention they paid to the individual gpa's from each school a student attends. I transferred from a tiny local university to Penn this past year and, not surprisingly, my gpa did take a hit. I went from a 4.0 at my old school to hovering around a 3.6 at my current university. Granted, I transferred as a junior, so I was not only going to a school with harder courses, but I was jumping into higher level courses right off the bat rather than taking the introductory courses that made up most of my career my first 2 years of college. In addition, my gpa has had an upward trend since I have arrived at Penn.Do you guys think admissions officers might see the gpa drop post-transfer as a disadvantage, or will they be more concerned with the overall gpa calculated from my grades at both schools? I have seen a lot of threads with people in the opposite situation, with bad early grades and improving performance, but can't seem to find any info about someone who, like me, is in the opposite of that situation. I appreciate any insight y'all might have for me!

Randomnumbers

Re: Undergrad Transfer

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 am

All they will care about is your overall GPA as calculated by LSAC, and your LSAT. They won't care about grade trends, or a transfer.

North

Postby North » Sat May 11, 2013 3:06 pm

I transferred three times and one of the UGPAs I left behind was a 1.6 or something. Zero effect on my cycle. Your cumulative LSDAS GPA and LSAT are all that netter.

gutrot13

Postby gutrot13 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:28 pm

North wrote:I transferred three times and one of the UGPAs I left behind was a 1.6 or something. Zero effect on my cycle. Your cumulative LSDAS GPA and LSAT are all that netter.

Did you send only one transcript from your most recent institution, or one separate transcript from each?

I've also transferred 3 times, and only certain schools accepted X amount of credits from one class or another.
It has me a bit worried, and I keep getting tripped up when trying to calculate my LSDAS GPA.
I should have a ~3.89 LSDAS GPA if I am looking at the credits accepted from previous institutions (they've accepted each class, just have given 2 instead of 4 credits for 2 or 3 classes).
It's actually really difficult to get an accurate reading when you've been around as much as we have. I've had a 4.0 since junior year, but approx ~3.705 and ~3.795 at the other two.

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread, I'm just getting frustrated trying to figure out where I sit, and am looking for some advice as well.

North

Postby North » Sat May 11, 2013 5:54 pm

gutrot13 wrote:
North wrote:I transferred three times and one of the UGPAs I left behind was a 1.6 or something. Zero effect on my cycle. Your cumulative LSDAS GPA and LSAT are all that netter.

Did you send only one transcript from your most recent institution, or one separate transcript from each?

I've also transferred 3 times, and only certain schools accepted X amount of credits from one class or another.
It has me a bit worried, and I keep getting tripped up when trying to calculate my LSDAS GPA.
I should have a ~3.89 LSDAS GPA if I am looking at the credits accepted from previous institutions (they've accepted each class, just have given 2 instead of 4 credits for 2 or 3 classes).
It's actually really difficult to get an accurate reading when you've been around as much as we have. I've had a 4.0 since junior year, but approx ~3.705 and ~3.795 at the other two.

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread, I'm just getting frustrated trying to figure out where I sit, and am looking for some advice as well.

You have to send in a transcript to LSAC from every post-HS academic institution you've ever attended. The only exception is for a one-semester study abroad at a foreign institution. You don't have to send that in. That's it, though.

Hat.trick

Postby Hat.trick » Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Your cumulative LSDAS GPA is the only thing that matters.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Didnt read more than subject line and I know answer:
It doesn't matter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”