What should I do this summer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
armysgt

What should I do this summer?

Postby armysgt » Fri May 10, 2013 2:45 am

What should I do this summer? I'm thinking of several options:
1. intern for an IT company (never worked in that industry, just seems interesting)
2. work for a congressman
3. do jobs that wouldn't be worth putting on any resume, but make $$$
4. intern for a small hedgefund

I haven't secured any of these options, but just curious as to what might be best considering either law school admissions or life after law school. Will what I do this summer affect my admissions at T6 at all?
Last edited by armysgt on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Re: What should I do this summer?

Postby North » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am

Do whatever interests you. You're solid for LS admissions already, there isn't much further you can tip the scales in your favor. Just do what you want, keeping in mind that it's probably your second-to-last free summer until you retire.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am

If you just did four years of undergrad.. Do nothing. Really. Law school is going to be rough so I'd suggest taking some time to develop spiritually and mentally. At least that's what I plan to do. We spend so much time trying to improve ourselves professionally we forget to get back to appreciating the little things that make us happy in life

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am

ALeal90 wrote:If you just did four years of undergrad.. Do nothing. Really. Law school is going to be rough so I'd suggest taking some time to develop spiritually and mentally. At least that's what I plan to do. We spend so much time trying to improve ourselves professionally we forget to get back to appreciating the little things that make us happy in life

this.. do some volunteer work if you want, but just enjoy life. Work on your essays and get those applications ready to go by September 1st (or whenever the first day you can apply is).

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri May 10, 2013 9:56 am

northwood wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:If you just did four years of undergrad.. Do nothing. Really. Law school is going to be rough so I'd suggest taking some time to develop spiritually and mentally. At least that's what I plan to do. We spend so much time trying to improve ourselves professionally we forget to get back to appreciating the little things that make us happy in life

this.. do some volunteer work if you want, but just enjoy life. Work on your essays and get those applications ready to go by September 1st (or whenever the first day you can apply is).

I'm assuming you mean just the summer, right? Or are you suggesting OP should take the whole year between now and matriculating to do nothing?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
northwood wrote:

I'm assuming you mean just the summer, right? Or are you suggesting OP should take the whole year between now and matriculating to do nothing?

assuming OP has not applied yet, then yes. I mean he should do something productive, as in get a job or volunteer, research other career that may interest him or whatnot, but he doesn't have to start a career.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 am

You better believe that's what I'll be doing this summer.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:

You better believe that's what I'll be doing this summer.

Yep.. it'll be the last summer in a while where you can do nothing

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm

study for a retake. that lsat is TOO DAMN LOWWWWWWWWWW

ganja

Postby ganja » Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:study for a retake. that lsat is TOO DAMN LOWWWWWWWWWW

This troll right here.... don't listen.. smoke some ganja and you'll be fine

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 10, 2013 7:26 pm

ganja wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:study for a retake. that lsat is TOO DAMN LOWWWWWWWWWW

This troll right here.... don't listen.. smoke some ganja and you'll be fine

What is happening to TLS? Trolls calling out trolls?

ganja

Postby ganja » Fri May 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Whoa bro. All I'm sayin is to take it easy during your time off no need to disrupt the good vibes

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm

study for a retake BRO!!! a 180 is WITHIN REACH!!!! This IS TOP LS afterall!

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Lots of unfunny trolls itt.

OP, take the summer off if you'd like and read/travel. Or do any of those jobs. It doesn't matter, you're basically set. Maybe do something that you'll feel passionate enough about to work into a PS or interview.

armysgt

Postby armysgt » Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Makes me feel a lot more at ease knowing I don't "have to" do anything in particular. Good luck on all your LS prep! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”