Retaking LSAT after 6 years

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FormerCorpsman

Retaking LSAT after 6 years

Postby FormerCorpsman » Thu May 09, 2013 5:28 pm

To all,

I took the LSAT in 2007 with no guidance by anyone on what to do. Needless to say that my first experience was quite abhorrent. This event killed my passion for even pursuing such a course of action. However, after gaining more experience and education, I have come to the conclusion that law school is the route I wish to pursue. Now my question. Exactly how bad will a negative test score, taken on a whim, hinder my opportunities for law school? We are talking 140s, if I remember correctly.

Here is a little bit about my background. I am a veteran with extensive experience in the Middle East. Upon complete of my military obligation, I enrolled for university studies. I obtained a BA in Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic and procure a GPA of 3.82. As part of this program, I traveled to various countries of the Middle East: Egypt, Jordan, and Israel. Outside of the program, I've traveled to Iraq, Kuwait, Japan, and Syria. At the moment I am working on a masters degree in Classic (Ancient Latin and Greek). Current GPA is a 4.0.

By the time I retake the LSAT, it will have been seven years since I took the last. I am not quite sure whether or not the admissions committees will look at the score or not. My goal is the University of Texas Law School. I would like to evince my appreciation beforehand of any responses I might receive.

Thanks!

Dr. Dre

Re: Retaking LSAT after 6 years

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 pm

A 3.82 is fantastic. Law schools will not care about an LSAT score you took 7 years ago. I don't think they have access to it.

study the manhattan lsat bundles, retake, get into UT with $$, profit

stephenholder

Postby stephenholder » Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Edit.
Last edited by stephenholder on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Scores from more than 5 years ago do not show up on your report unless you make a written request to LSAC asking them to report them. In that case, you can only have scores shown back to 2003.

So you're fine. They'll never see your score from 6 yrs ago. Don't waste that GPA and awesome work experience with anything less than the LSAT score you need to get into the school you want to go to, hopefully with $$$. Study as long and hard as you need to.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/older-lsat-scores.asp

FormerCorpsman

Postby FormerCorpsman » Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 pm

I am grateful for all your responses on my behalf. It feels like a huge burden was lifted, for I truly fretted over the past LSAT score and my past ineptness. Now, that I know that the possibility is there, I plan to study for the LSAT for about 8 months or so. I am looking to nail the LSAT. I will look into the Manhattan LSAT material. Thanks again.

If you guys have any other advice, please share.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 pm

when do you plan on taking it?

FormerCorpsman

Postby FormerCorpsman » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 pm

I plan on taking it August 2014. That is the tentative plan, depending on how I do in my studies.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 10:53 pm

FormerCorpsman wrote:To all,

I took the LSAT in 2007 with no guidance by anyone on what to do. Needless to say that my first experience was quite abhorrent. This event killed my passion for even pursuing such a course of action. However, after gaining more experience and education, I have come to the conclusion that law school is the route I wish to pursue. Now my question. Exactly how bad will a negative test score, taken on a whim, hinder my opportunities for law school? We are talking 140s, if I remember correctly.

Here is a little bit about my background. I am a veteran with extensive experience in the Middle East. Upon complete of my military obligation, I enrolled for university studies. I obtained a BA in Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic and procure a GPA of 3.82. As part of this program, I traveled to various countries of the Middle East: Egypt, Jordan, and Israel. Outside of the program, I've traveled to Iraq, Kuwait, Japan, and Syria. At the moment I am working on a masters degree in Classic (Ancient Latin and Greek). Current GPA is a 4.0.

By the time I retake the LSAT, it will have been seven years since I took the last. I am not quite sure whether or not the admissions committees will look at the score or not. My goal is the University of Texas Law School. I would like to evince my appreciation beforehand of any responses I might receive.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, your 3.82 includes all of your college level classes? You didn't do school before your service that isn't counted towards your cumulative GPA? I just ask because that seems to be the standard story for most of us prior enlisted. If so, they will count every college class you ever did, and while I had a 3.86 after I got out and went back to school, my ~10 yr old grades came back to drop me to a 3.0 as far as law schools were concerned.

If you're counted as a 3.82 as a veteran you are money though, GL

FormerCorpsman

Postby FormerCorpsman » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Everything I have obtained up to this point, I procured after I was out of the military. I graduated from my undergraduate studies in 2010, and I will graduate from my masters program Spring 2015. On that note, do you know if the admissions committees even care about graduate school work? It seems that undergraduate GPA is more relevant to them. I took a few years off to work, and I decided to do a masters in Classics before I pursue law school due to a passion I have for Cicero, Solon, and Demosthenes. Not to mention, I love language acquisition.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 am

FormerCorpsman wrote:I plan on taking it August 2014.

There is no LSAT administration in August.

FormerCorpsman

Postby FormerCorpsman » Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 am

I guess I will take it in June.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

good. i highly recommend manhattan lsat and the powerscore books.

You might also want to consider taking blueprint online course. Trent and Matt are dope as fuuuuuuu

FormerCorpsman

Postby FormerCorpsman » Sun May 12, 2013 1:55 am

Dr. Dre wrote:good. i highly recommend manhattan lsat and the powerscore books.

You might also want to consider taking blueprint online course. Trent and Matt are dope as fuuuuuuu

Which of the LSAT prep books do you prefer? Are their methodologies, when juxtaposed, completely different? I am trying to get as much feedback as possible on the matter, so that I may make an informed decision.

Any and all feed back on Manhattan LSAT and Powerscore is needed. I appreciated your time.
Last edited by FormerCorpsman on Sun May 12, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun May 12, 2013 1:59 am

FormerCorpsman wrote:

Which of the LSAT prep books do you prefer? Is there methodology, when juxtaposed, completely different? I am trying to get as much feedback as possible on the matter, so that I may make an informed decision.

Any and all feed back on Manhattan LSAT and Powerscore is needed. I appreciated your time.

Just go to the LSAT prep and discussion forum. Generally, anything over the counter with the name "Powerscore" or "Manhattan" is good, and any class with those names or "blueprint," "Testmasters" is good. The most important thing is rigorous self study and many, many practice tests.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 am

FormerCorpsman wrote:Everything I have obtained up to this point, I procured after I was out of the military. I graduated from my undergraduate studies in 2010, and I will graduate from my masters program Spring 2015. On that note, do you know if the admissions committees even care about graduate school work? It seems that undergraduate GPA is more relevant to them. I took a few years off to work, and I decided to do a masters in Classics before I pursue law school due to a passion I have for Cicero, Solon, and Demosthenes. Not to mention, I love language acquisition.

Having a master's is a very negligible boost. I'm a 3.0/173 air force enlisted with a master's, and had literally the exact same cycle as a 3.1/172 navy enlisted w/o a master's (same scholly amounts even). But you don't even need the master's boost. With that GPA and being a veteran you will be set so long as you can score 170+.

FormerCorpsman

Postby FormerCorpsman » Sun May 12, 2013 2:19 am

Cobretti wrote:
FormerCorpsman wrote:Everything I have obtained up to this point, I procured after I was out of the military. I graduated from my undergraduate studies in 2010, and I will graduate from my masters program Spring 2015. On that note, do you know if the admissions committees even care about graduate school work? It seems that undergraduate GPA is more relevant to them. I took a few years off to work, and I decided to do a masters in Classics before I pursue law school due to a passion I have for Cicero, Solon, and Demosthenes. Not to mention, I love language acquisition.

Having a master's is a very negligible boost. I'm a 3.0/173 air force enlisted with a master's, and had literally the exact same cycle as a 3.1/172 navy enlisted w/o a master's (same scholly amounts even). But you don't even need the master's boost. With that GPA and being a veteran you will be set so long as you can score 170+.

Thanks for the response!

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun May 12, 2013 2:21 am

Cobretti wrote:

Wow, Air Force AND a Master's. I must have mightily impressed NU for sitting on my ass for three years :twisted: I feel so much better tearing down those around me.

Eta: but seriously that's impressive Cobretti. I can't just be 100% a-hole, I'm not a full-on lounger (yet).

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am

Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Wow, Air Force AND a Master's. I must have mightily impressed NU for sitting on my ass for three years :twisted: I feel so much better tearing down those around me.

Eta: but seriously that's impressive Cobretti. I can't just be 100% a-hole, I'm not a full-on lounger (yet).

lol even being a veteran isn't a big boost, barely overcame my 10 year old shitty grades

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun May 12, 2013 3:03 am

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Having a master's is a very negligible boost. I'm a 3.0/173 air force enlisted with a master's, and had literally the exact same cycle as a 3.1/172 navy enlisted w/o a master's (same scholly amounts even). But you don't even need the master's boost. With that GPA and being a veteran you will be set so long as you can score 170+.

lol even being a veteran isn't a big boost, barely overcame my 10 year old shitty grades

Through the narrow lens of law school admissions, it's not a big boost, but you were in the Air Force and that has merit on its own.

vtoodler

Postby vtoodler » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:13 pm

OP, I'd also recommend taking tons of practice tests. Happily, there are over 70 available tests.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Highly recommend the powerscore books. In addition, I would highly recommend you buy all the bundled real LSAT prac tests. Ration these tests and take them in full in timed conditions to track your progress - save the most recent tests for the month before your actual test date. Go hard studying powerscore and taking PT's until you're consistently PT'ing at the score you want.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”