Wailisted at UF law, help !! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jobegood

New

Wailisted at UF law, help !!

Post by jobegood » Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 pm

So i've been waitlisted at the school of my dreams..

Here's what I did so far
1. Sent my intend to be on the waitlist
2. Upgraded my transcript to the LSAC website (last quarter i got 4 A's)
3. I'm in the process of writting an eloquent letter of motivation on why I should be admitted to UF law
4. and on the process of getting a third LOR from my district grandmaster (im in a fraternity) who is partner at big law firm in San Luis Obispo California

Is there anything else I could do (except re passing the LSAT and visiting the school)

I got a horrible score last december but I do have exellent grades, great recommenders, good credentials and I'm an international student from France

Any input would be much appreciated

ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Wailisted at UF law, help !!

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Retake.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm

just how bad was your LSAT score? and what is your GPA? Obviously you shoudl retake, but we should hear all the information before telling you that. If you are not from florida though, UF is a real bad idea.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm

nickb285 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jobegood

New

Post by jobegood » Thu May 09, 2013 2:24 pm

[quote="Is there anything else I could do (except re passing the LSAT and visiting the school)[/quote]

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:25 pm

I went through some of your old posts and it sounds like you said you were going to score between a 145-150 and your GPA is 3.8. No one will tell you how to get off the UF waitlist because you need to retake. Don't waste that GPA. Practice on your grasp of the english language, and be able to finish the test in the allotted time.

edit: June retake is your only remaining leverage. You have done everything else that is standard practice. If they take you, they needed your GPA. You will be paying sticker though, so be prepared.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Sent your intend? Good to go.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 2:50 pm

jobegood wrote:[quote="Is there anything else I could do (except re passing the LSAT and visiting the school)
No. UF should not be anyone's "dream school" unless you satisfy all three of these conditions:

A. You have strong ties there.
B. You have a full ride there.
C. You have a good network there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jobegood

New

Post by jobegood » Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
jobegood wrote:[quote="Is there anything else I could do (except re passing the LSAT and visiting the school)
No. UF should not be anyone's "dream school" unless you satisfy all three of these conditions:

A and C

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Definitely re-take, please! I would kill for that GPA. I'm going to UF next year, FWIW, so I'm not trying to be condescending. If I had your GPA, I wouldn't be going to UF, I'd probably be at one of the T-14s or T-20s that held and/or wait-listed me. I already took the LSAT 3 times, and I would take it again if I could. The LSAT is definitely learn-able (though, I believe only to a certain extent, but there's all kinds of success stories on here) and you should definitely max out your LSAT before applying. I would seriously do some bad things for that GPA.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

A and C

Missing B. Then it should not be your dream school. Hence the above poster is correct. With a 3.8, you should be aiming for the T14.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

A and C

Missing B. Then it should not be your dream school. Hence the above poster is correct. With a 3.8, you should be aiming for the T14.
I agree with you that he should definitely be maxing out the LSAT and aiming for the T-14. But I think UF is a pretty decent choice for someone with A & C, for the right price, and assuming s/he can't get the LSAT to T-14 levels.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu May 09, 2013 5:08 pm

OP, anything other than a retake here is monumentally ignorant. Your goal should be at least a 164 (above their 75th percentile). Coupled with your GPA, you should be able to get serious money. Don't settle for just "getting in" to a state school, that is a ridiculous goal with your GPA.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 am

rad lulz wrote:
nickb285 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Retake.
buddytyler wrote:OP, anything other than a retake here is monumentally ignorant. Your goal should be at least a 164 (above their 75th percentile). Coupled with your GPA, you should be able to get serious money. Don't settle for just "getting in" to a state school, that is a ridiculous goal with your GPA.
+1. There are swarms of splitters who would kill for that GPA to complement their high LSAT scores... don't waste your 3.8, OP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”