Law school softs or extracurriculars?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed May 08, 2013 5:38 pm

What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed May 08, 2013 5:45 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


lsat studying

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby txdude45 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


Based on this post and a couple of your others, you're going about this the wrong way.

While the best softs are hard to get (Military officer, olympian, rhodes, etc), 99% of the people who have them didn't just get them to help their applications; they had a passion for it. If you have a passion for something, pursue it to it's conclusion and it'll be impressive. Don't go searching for a list of accomplishments to staple to your application.

That or do TFA after graduation. *needless dig*

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed May 08, 2013 6:02 pm

txdude45 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


Based on this post and a couple of your others, you're going about this the wrong way.

While the best softs are hard to get (Military officer, olympian, rhodes, etc), 99% of the people who have them didn't just get them to help their applications; they had a passion for it. If you have a passion for something, pursue it to it's conclusion and it'll be impressive. Don't go searching for a list of accomplishments to staple to your application.

That or do TFA after graduation. *needless dig*


Why can't you want me like the other boys do?

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Bump.

totoro
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby totoro » Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 pm

I have friends who got into HYS who seem like regular (though very capable) people with high GPA's and good LSAT's. None had any earth-shattering softs, in fact some I would say were below-average. I would focus as much as you can on school right now, and if you are truly set on law school, then participate in whatever you like the most, because that's what you'll excel in. I don't think it will make a difference in your results, unless like previous poster said, you are TFA/Peace Corps/military

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby 062914123 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:27 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


Don't focus on padding your resume--focus on the LSAT.

User avatar
TheBiggerMediocre
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


Secs and other fun things. On a more serious note just join everything and ignore all events/meets just pay dues.

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue May 28, 2013 4:07 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


Secs and other fun things. On a more serious note just join everything and ignore all events/meets just pay dues.


What kind of stuff did you do brah?

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Should I do an internship or some crap?

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Do what you like and what will help you mature as an adult. This will help you write a better PS and better prepare you for LS.

That being said I did two AmeriCorps program with one being leadership focused. These re what I wrote my PS about and I think I out performed numbers.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:57 pm

JDndMSW wrote:Do what you like and what will help you mature as an adult. This will help you write a better PS and better prepare you for LS.

That being said I did two AmeriCorps program with one being leadership focused. These re what I wrote my PS about and I think I out performed numbers.


I thought you said you only applied to two schools?

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 pm

txdude45 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:What kind of extra curriculars do you guys engage in?


Based on this post and a couple of your others, you're going about this the wrong way.

While the best softs are hard to get (Military officer, olympian, rhodes, etc), 99% of the people who have them didn't just get them to help their applications; they had a passion for it. If you have a passion for something, pursue it to it's conclusion and it'll be impressive. Don't go searching for a list of accomplishments to staple to your application.

That or do TFA after graduation. *needless dig*

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby guano » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:17 pm

As long as you can list one or two non academic things you've done, it doesn't matter.

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: Law school softs or extracurriculars?

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 am

BigZuck wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:Do what you like and what will help you mature as an adult. This will help you write a better PS and better prepare you for LS.

That being said I did two AmeriCorps program with one being leadership focused. These re what I wrote my PS about and I think I out performed numbers.


I thought you said you only applied to two schools?


Yes but I got a full ride to a T30 that I was at median LSAT and below median GPA. I was also OOS and they have a 50% requirement of in state.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests