GPA boost? + other GPA questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tolopo

GPA boost? + other GPA questions

Postby tolopo » Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 pm

I am currently in the summer after my junior year and will be applying to law schools this autumn (graduating with a B.A. in summer of 2014). I've seen on TLS many times that, if needed, one can take CC or other university/bachelor's level courses for a GPA boost.

I would sincerely appreciate any input on the following questions!

1. By the time of law school application, if your LSAC GPA is in the 3.7x to 3.8x range does it matter if it is either all around A-s or a mixture of As and A+s with a couple of marks between the B-D- range and one non-punitive W? Would the top 6 schools in T14 care about what grades make up the GPA?

2. I'm taking the summer courses because I'm doing a double major right now and my school has many mandatory courses for each program so there are electives that I never had the opportunity (or were never offered at my home institution) to take. Obviously if these count then it is a big plus. I'm thinking of taking some online courses so it is more convenient for me to take at home, plus these courses are mostly self-paced with one-to-one faculty engagement, although the institution is not prestigious or anything. I called LSAC and they said everything should count as long as it is granted before my undergraduate degree, but is there a certain amount of courses you can take at cc/distance ed for the summer before it works against you in your law school apps? Will they show up on the LSAC transcript with institution and dates, so will a bunch of summer courses, even with good marks, particularly this summer look bad? Or do law schools just care about strictly numbers?

3. Would it be used against me for larger scholarships?

4. I want to apply as early as I can this autumn but I also want to have the highest GPA I can before I apply, so if my fall 2013 semester can at the very most add .04 to my GPA, for scholarship and sanity's sake, should I just apply in October/November before fall grades come out in Dec/Jan?

Thank you so much!

kay2016

Re: GPA boost? + other GPA questions

Postby kay2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Apply early, then update with fall grades

No one cares how may of the classes are online. Raise your gpa.

Kill the LSAT

tolopo

Re: GPA boost? + other GPA questions

Postby tolopo » Wed May 08, 2013 4:20 pm

thank you so much!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”