Waitlisted numerous schools , Should I retake the LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I re-take the LSAT in June?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 45

bayarea510

Waitlisted numerous schools , Should I retake the LSAT?

Postby bayarea510 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:07 pm

My application besides the LSAT is strong, as far as GPA, undergraduate institution , work experience. My application is lacking a good LSAT score, which is why I believe I have been waitlisted.

Should I retake the LSAT in June or ride out the wait list and see what happens? I haven't really been studying for the LSAT and don't know if I can even pull a higher score. Do I have anything to lose by taking the June LSAT ? Do I have to tell the schools for which I am applying to or got admitted to already?

kckool7

Re: Waitlisted numerous schools , Should I retake the LSAT?

Postby kckool7 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:33 pm

bayarea510 wrote:My application besides the LSAT is strong, as far as GPA, undergraduate institution , work experience. My application is lacking a good LSAT score, which is why I believe I have been waitlisted.

Should I retake the LSAT in June or ride out the wait list and see what happens? I haven't really been studying for the LSAT and don't know if I can even pull a higher score. Do I have anything to lose by taking the June LSAT ? Do I have to tell the schools for which I am applying to or got admitted to already?

If you don't get off any wait lists, are you planning on applying again next cycle, or just going to the best school you're in at?

grantev

Postby grantev » Sat May 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm in a similar situation, and I decided to retake. As far as I know, you really have nothing to lose. Instead of sitting around and crossing your fingers, channel your energy into studying. You still have over a month. This is a huge decision in the course of your life. You owe it to yourself to retake, or you always will wonder "what if?" It could mean getting into a better school and/or tens of thousands in scholarships. You worked hard for four years to get a good UG GPA, so why let a four-hour test hold you back? And if you don't improve, I don't think it will affect anything if you've already deposited to a backup school.

Good luck!

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 pm

I was waitlisted everywhere that mattered to me when I applied, I retook the LSAT, did slightly better and got off the WL with a scholarship at my current school. Do it.

mjp3

Postby mjp3 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Should you tell the schools you're waitlisted at that you're retaking in June or just notify them in July if you get a higher score?

I was thinking it would show that you're really dedicated to getting into their school, but might mean you have to wait until July to get any decision... Thoughts?

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 pm

bayarea510 wrote:My application besides the LSAT is strong, as far as GPA, undergraduate institution , work experience. My application is lacking a good LSAT score, which is why I believe I have been waitlisted.

Got accepted to numerous schools, deposited at my best option and still retaking the LSAT in June. lol.

I heard somewhere that schools can see your LSAT registration. Perhaps that's why I still haven't heard from one school?

bayarea510

Postby bayarea510 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 am

I am 100% going to law school this year, my main concern is receiving a lower LSAT score which in turn would make me look like a weaker applicant on the waitlist. On the other hand, would I have to report the score to the schools in which I've already been accepted or applied?

bayarea510

Postby bayarea510 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:16 pm

PING

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:52 pm

bayarea510 wrote:PING

PONG

laotze

Postby laotze » Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I had an insane (>10) number of waitlists this cycle due to similarly split stats and a carpet-bombing application spread, but in the past few weeks I've been admitted to more than half of them. Hang in there, application rates are down this year and your shot is probably better than it's ever been.

Still, it can't possibly hurt to retake the LSAT for a higher score, if you have the time to study and the money for the test fee. At the very least it could increase your chances of negotiating financial aid.

porch

Postby porch » Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm

retake apply ed uva

bayarea510

Postby bayarea510 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks everybody I'm re-taking, although I've been slacking off on the studying , I hope I don't get a lower score ;/ . Do the schools have access to see your taking the LSAT in June?

I will keep people posted if anybody is curious and is applying next application cycle.

bayarea510

Postby bayarea510 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Will the schools I am wait-listed to automatically get my June LSAT Score, or do I have to manually send it to them? Is it automatic or if I do worse, the schools to which I am waitlisted too could not see the new score?

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:55 pm

bayarea510 wrote:Will the schools I am wait-listed to automatically get my June LSAT Score, or do I have to manually send it to them? Is it automatic or if I do worse, the schools to which I am waitlisted too could not see the new score?

Just send the admissions a one-line e-mail "update" saying your new score if it improves to put yourself on their radar

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Im not sure, but good luck tomorrow.

You made the right decision.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm

helix23 wrote:
bayarea510 wrote:PING

PONG

Marry me?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”