Which law schools are still accepting applicants?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jas1503

Which law schools are still accepting applicants?

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello,

I'm all locked into the possibility that I might be a full-time CUNY law student, so now I'm excited. Excited about sleeping in a gutter; excited about telling people, "at least I passed the bar" ; excited about the post-law school-doc review banter...Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing CUNY or Georgetown in anyway, it could be much, much worse. CUNY might provide me with a cheap (relative terms) law degree and the opportunity to make my mom happy, but I'm still holding out hope of going somewhere that places 37% of it's graduates in full-time positions by graduation.

Ignoring my blatant ignorance and stupidity for still considering law schools, what would be a better law school to apply to this late in the cycle?
Last edited by jas1503 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Re: Which law schools are still accepting applicants?

Postby TheThriller » Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

jas1503 wrote:Hello,

I'm all locked into the possibility that I might be a full-time CUNY law student, so now I'm excited. Excited about sleeping in a gutter; excited about telling people, "at least I passed the bar" ; excited about the post-law school-doc review banter...Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing CUNY or Georgetown in anyway, it could be much, much worse for me. CUNY might provide me with a cheap (relative terms) law degree and the opportunity to make my mom happy, but I'm still holding out hope of going somewhere that places 37% of it's graduates in full-time positions by graduation.

Ignoring my blatant ignorance and stupidity for still considering law schools, what would be a better law school to apply to this late in the cycle?

Retake.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm

wat? what are your stats? probably retake/reapply or CUNY if you're living rent-free, isn't it really cheap?

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

TheThriller wrote:

I'm all locked into the possibility that I might be a full-time CUNY law student, so now I'm excited. Excited about sleeping in a gutter; excited about telling people, "at least I passed the bar" ; excited about the post-law school-doc review banter...Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing CUNY or Georgetown in anyway, it could be much, much worse for me. CUNY might provide me with a cheap (relative terms) law degree and the opportunity to make my mom happy, but I'm still holding out hope of going somewhere that places 37% of it's graduates in full-time positions by graduation.

Retake.

Retaking in June. Not confident about it, but I know that I'll be sober for it.

I don't have the option of waiting for the next cycle.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 pm

justonemoregame wrote:wat? what are your stats? probably retake/reapply or CUNY if you're living rent-free, isn't it really cheap?

3.0/150

I'm from NY, and living rent-free at the moment. It's extremely cheap by comparison to every other law school in NY.

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Thu May 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Choose a couple you think you have a shot at and call them up. From the top of my head, I think Indiana keeps accepting until June.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Hrun wrote:Choose a couple you think you have a shot at and call them up. From the top of my head, I think Indiana keeps accepting until June.

You're right. I spoke to Indiana and Illinois this week, both are still accepting applications. I would love to attend either, but I'd need to improve my LSAT by at least 11 points to have a good chance.

Would 'sticker' be acceptable at either of those two schools?

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Alabama is accepting applications, according to their website till May 15th.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm all locked into the possibility that I might be a full-time CUNY law student, so now I'm excited. Excited about sleeping in a gutter; excited about telling people, "at least I passed the bar" ; excited about the post-law school-doc review banter...Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing CUNY or Georgetown in anyway, it could be much, much worse. CUNY might provide me with a cheap (relative terms) law degree and the opportunity to make my mom happy, but I'm still holding out hope of going somewhere that places 37% of it's graduates in full-time positions by graduation.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

scruffy556 wrote:Alabama is accepting applications, according to their website till May 15th.

Thank you, scruffy.

Assuming that I can gain 10 points on my LSAT, would Alabama Law School at sticker (or close to it) be worth it over a cheaper CUNY law degree?

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Icculus wrote:

I'm seriously not trolling

thenumberfour

Postby thenumberfour » Thu May 02, 2013 3:37 pm

I believe that WUSTL is still accepting applications.

Alabama has significantly better job prospects, as long as you're okay with working only in Alabama. I honestly don't think it'd be worth sticker because you're still looking at a significant amount of debt for non residents.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 pm

thenumberfour wrote:I believe that WUSTL is still accepting applications.

Alabama has significantly better job prospects, as long as you're okay with working only in Alabama. I honestly don't think it'd be worth sticker because you're still looking at a significant amount of debt for non residents.

Cool!

Thanks, #4. I'll add them to my list.

I've thought about Samford Law in Alabama also, because they seem to be doing comparable employment numbers next to Alabama University.

Do you know anything about Samford?

maggielizer

Postby maggielizer » Thu May 02, 2013 3:55 pm

jas1503 wrote:

Cool!

I've thought about Samford Law in Alabama also, because they seem to be doing comparable employment numbers next to Alabama University.

Samford actually enjoys a reasonably good reputation in the Birmingham area, but beyond that, forget it. Plus, even firms in Birmingham are more likely to hire a UA grad than a Samford grad. A UA degree is also more portable across the South, although of course you're likeliest to get a job within Alabama.

ETA: If you're interested in getting a job in NY, I don't think a UA degree will benefit you.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:34 pm

maggielizer wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

Cool!

Samford actually enjoys a reasonably good reputation in the Birmingham area, but beyond that, forget it. Plus, even firms in Birmingham are more likely to hire a UA grad than a Samford grad. A UA degree is also more portable across the South, although of course you're likeliest to get a job within Alabama.

ETA: If you're interested in getting a job in NY, I don't think a UA degree will benefit you.

Thanks Maggie!

Good to hear how Samford grads are perceived in Alabama and outside the state. I don't essentially need to work in NY. My family is in NY, but we are probably moving to Jersey next year, so no need to focus on NY's market. I'm open to any market, but Ideally would prefer to keep cost as low as possible.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Anyone have some inside information or anecdotals about the Florida law (Stetson Law, Miami Law, FIU Law) schools?

Which, if any, would be worth attending above CUNY?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 02, 2013 5:59 pm

jas1503 wrote:
TheThriller wrote:

Retake.

Retaking in June. Not confident about it, but I know that I'll be sober for it.

I don't have the option of waiting for the next cycle.

If you are really not a troll, there is always the option of waiting a cycle. Everything I have read ITT indicates you are making a short sighted decision and have not really put much thought into your long term goals.

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm

No school still accepting applications is worth attending. I am not one to say retake, but retake. Truly commit to studying. If you cannot get into a decent regional school or T14, it is not worth going to Law School. Find another job in which you can be successful. School is not the answer, its a means to an end.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

jas1503 wrote:

Cool!

The only good thing about Samford is that if people ask you where you went to law school and you say it really fast, it sounds like Stanford. RETAKE.

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:04 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

Cool!

The only good thing about Samford is that if people ask you where you went to law school and you say it really fast, it sounds like Stanford. RETAKE.

Haha yes! Coming to junior high/high school in Alabama, I always thought people were saying Stanford. For the first two years of high school I thought about 50% of my teachers went to Stanford. Oh, and retake/reapply OP. I can't imagine anyone applying this late and getting substantial money with your numbers. Alabama is definitely out and so is WUSTL.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 pm

You're living rent free. Retake and wait a year. Don't put yourself in a bad position for something that literally will affect your entire life. Study for the LSAT, improve 15+ points, get a part-time job if you want, and apply this fall when apps open.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Update: George Washington and Cornell are still accepting-for those of you with much better numbers than me. Can not confirm if they're looking to up their 'ding' totals.

Edit: UNLV Law also still accepting.
Last edited by jas1503 on Mon May 06, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:50 pm

andreskicdo wrote:No school still accepting applications is worth attending. I am not one to say retake, but retake. Truly commit to studying. If you cannot get into a decent regional school or T14, it is not worth going to Law School. Find another job in which you can be successful. School is not the answer, its a means to an end.

Thanks for your post.

I'm retaking for june. as it stands, still going -10 on RC and -7 on LR, my chances are still looking slim for a quality score.

I have the timing of the test down in my head, but any non-timing tips are always welcomed.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:42 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”