Law School Advertising Megathread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IvyLeagueRedneck

Re: Law School Advertising Megathread

Postby IvyLeagueRedneck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Got the one from Gonzaga today

"Congratulations on being one of the special few ready to explore law school. It is a life changing experience and I know the application process can be a little stressfull."

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 pm

IvyLeagueRedneck wrote:Got the one from Gonzaga today

"Congratulations on being one of the special few ready to explore law school. It is a life changing experience and I know the application process can be a little stressfull."

Congrats on just being "ready to explore" law school? Wow, low bar.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 pm

jselson wrote:
IvyLeagueRedneck wrote:Got the one from Gonzaga today

Congrats on just being "ready to explore" law school? Wow, low bar.

I see from your posts that you two are part of this elite group that Gonzaga calls the the special few ready to explore law school. I think they mean't the special few thousand candidates ready to go head over heals into debt.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:32 pm

LOL @ Creighton

:lol: :lol:

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
1) Sorry for reposting this, but I want to keep the entire chronicle together for new viewers to quickly be able to see the sliding deadlines.
2) wtf is a "Catholic legal education"?
3) UChicago's July letter almost seems to be making fun of Creighton:

University of Chicago wrote:Dear Class of 2016:

We are looking forward to you joining our community this fall. Now is a good time to think about some additional details before your arrival, but it is also a good time to rest and relax. Below is some important information that we hope will make your transition to Chicago and the Law School a bit smoother. You’ll see you already have many deadlines to meet. We don’t give false deadlines and for many of these deadlines, you will be left out if you miss them. Please read this information carefully and be sure to take the necessary steps now so you can hit the ground running in the fall.

Your travels with Creighton are absolute gold. Does anyone else think that some rogue adcomm at Creighton is doing these emails on the sly because he/she reads TLS and is enjoying the lols from making Creighton look like a shamwow?

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
1) Sorry for reposting this, but I want to keep the entire chronicle together for new viewers to quickly be able to see the sliding deadlines.
2) wtf is a "Catholic legal education"?
3) UChicago's July letter almost seems to be making fun of Creighton:

University of Chicago wrote:Dear Class of 2016:

We are looking forward to you joining our community this fall. Now is a good time to think about some additional details before your arrival, but it is also a good time to rest and relax. Below is some important information that we hope will make your transition to Chicago and the Law School a bit smoother. You’ll see you already have many deadlines to meet. We don’t give false deadlines and for many of these deadlines, you will be left out if you miss them. Please read this information carefully and be sure to take the necessary steps now so you can hit the ground running in the fall.

Your travels with Creighton are absolute gold. Does anyone else think that some rogue adcomm at Creighton is doing these emails on the sly because he/she reads TLS and is enjoying the lols from making Creighton look like a shamwow?

I really hope that's what it is.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Got an email from some Iowa school with the subject titled "Chicago Law School forum"

Got excited so I actually opened the email, to find out it was from some Iowa TTT welcoming me to come visit them at the Chicago Law School forum.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Last edited by PotenC on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 pm

PotenC wrote:There is one guy with a 4.0 GPA and a ~130 LSAT inquiring on whether he would be able to get lucky and get accepted.

I have a really hard time believing that someone with a 4.0 has a 130 LSAT score. Did he fall asleep after the first section or something?

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Last edited by PotenC on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laotze

Postby laotze » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:07 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
PotenC wrote:There is one guy with a 4.0 GPA and a ~130 LSAT inquiring on whether he would be able to get lucky and get accepted.

I have a really hard time believing that someone with a 4.0 has a 130 LSAT score.

I don't. I know some, shall we say, "less than intellectually gifted" people who majored in degrees like Fashion Studies, Communications, or Business (not to diss on those majors...they were just jokes at my school) and managed to pull cum laudes and even magnas out of their asses with minimal labor while Physics, History, and, hell, even Fine Arts majors I knew labored long hours only to barely scrimp by with a 3.3.

Every school is going to have departments with different standards of difficulty from others, and of course there are enough diploma mills out there that practically anyone can find a 4.0 niche if they want to.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I sat in on part of the MSU chat as well, to see what I could learn. I thought MSU did a good job with it. Do other law schools do similar?

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am

Rutgers wrote:Rutgers Law School is seeking to include an additional group of students in the Fall 2013 class to help foster the dynamic community and educational atmosphere at our Camden campus. In particular, we are seeking individuals who have exhibited a passion about something in their life. Examples of that passion might be public service, teaching, sports, writing, theater, music or a professional achievement. Given your undergraduate record, state of residency, test scores, and background, you have been identified as someone who could become a vital and integral part of our Rutgers Law community, and we encourage you to consider applying for and joining our incoming Fall 2013 class.

If you believe Rutgers Law might be the right place for you to fulfill your professional goals, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Given the late date, all application fees and deposits are waived. Full tuition Dean's Highest Academic Scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic year are still available. These awards are funded by the law school and carry full tuition scholarships and fees. For further information about the scholarship and its terms, including renewability, please see https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/academic-exc ... ship-terms or contact the Admissions Office. In addition to this full tuition scholarship, if accepted, you will receive a one-time financial scholarship award of $8,000 to defray moving costs and books for your first academic year. Please note, this scholarship is not transferrable to any other school within the Rutgers system or outside of our Law School at the Camden campus.

To apply online, go to http://www.camlaw.rutgers.edu/admissions. If you apply Monday-Friday, we will endeavor to provide you with a decision within 24 hours of receiving your completed application and LSAC report. We ask that you add our school code (#2092) to your LSAC account as soon as possible so that we can receive a copy of your transcript and LSAC report. On-campus graduate housing is available through August 1. We are a direct student loan institution (school code #002629) so your financial aid application can be processed directly by our financial aid office.

Rutgers is one of the oldest and largest public institutions of higher learning in the nation. Home to many leading legal scholars, our law school at the Camden campus is proud to continue this tradition of excellence. Our distinguished faculty may be viewed online at http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/faculty. Just minutes from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, our campus offers an attractive, 40 tree-lined acre, urban campus that is at the base of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge to Philadelphia, the fifth-largest city in America.

The Law School Admissions Committee reserves the right to exercise its discretion to deny admission to anyone the Committee believes does not demonstrate the requisite character or capabilities necessary to succeed at Rutgers Law. If you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your potential legal career, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office at 800-466-7561 or email us at admissions@camlaw.rutgers.edu

This late in the game and they're still at it.

laotze

Postby laotze » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 am

untar614 wrote:
Rutgers wrote:Rutgers Law School is seeking to include an additional group of students in the Fall 2013 class to help foster the dynamic community and educational atmosphere at our Camden campus. In particular, we are seeking individuals who have exhibited a passion about something in their life. Examples of that passion might be public service, teaching, sports, writing, theater, music or a professional achievement. Given your undergraduate record, state of residency, test scores, and background, you have been identified as someone who could become a vital and integral part of our Rutgers Law community, and we encourage you to consider applying for and joining our incoming Fall 2013 class.

If you believe Rutgers Law might be the right place for you to fulfill your professional goals, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Given the late date, all application fees and deposits are waived. Full tuition Dean's Highest Academic Scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic year are still available. These awards are funded by the law school and carry full tuition scholarships and fees. For further information about the scholarship and its terms, including renewability, please see https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/academic-exc ... ship-terms or contact the Admissions Office. In addition to this full tuition scholarship, if accepted, you will receive a one-time financial scholarship award of $8,000 to defray moving costs and books for your first academic year. Please note, this scholarship is not transferrable to any other school within the Rutgers system or outside of our Law School at the Camden campus.

To apply online, go to http://www.camlaw.rutgers.edu/admissions. If you apply Monday-Friday, we will endeavor to provide you with a decision within 24 hours of receiving your completed application and LSAC report. We ask that you add our school code (#2092) to your LSAC account as soon as possible so that we can receive a copy of your transcript and LSAC report. On-campus graduate housing is available through August 1. We are a direct student loan institution (school code #002629) so your financial aid application can be processed directly by our financial aid office.

Rutgers is one of the oldest and largest public institutions of higher learning in the nation. Home to many leading legal scholars, our law school at the Camden campus is proud to continue this tradition of excellence. Our distinguished faculty may be viewed online at http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/faculty. Just minutes from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, our campus offers an attractive, 40 tree-lined acre, urban campus that is at the base of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge to Philadelphia, the fifth-largest city in America.

The Law School Admissions Committee reserves the right to exercise its discretion to deny admission to anyone the Committee believes does not demonstrate the requisite character or capabilities necessary to succeed at Rutgers Law. If you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your potential legal career, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office at 800-466-7561 or email us at admissions@camlaw.rutgers.edu

This late in the game and they're still at it.

--LinkRemoved--

Shocker, they're playing the "it's Chris Christie's fault" card.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am

RoaringMice wrote:I sat in on part of the MSU chat as well, to see what I could learn. I thought MSU did a good job with it. Do other law schools do similar?

I was cordially invited to, and sat in on, one that Yale did this cycle

#hatersgonnahate

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Faulkner U (never heard of this TTTT) just have me a fancy book thingy in the mail about their university. Two things of note: 1. They absolutely did not mention their Admitted students' LSAT/gpa scores lol and 2. They gave me last year's brochure telling me to apply by June 15, 2013. Bastards won't even give me the new one :(z

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 am

Got a fee waiver for next year from UCLA today but it also included this line:

*If you are interested in starting law school next month (August 12th), we may have a few seats available. Feel free to respond to this e-mail or give us a call at (310) 825-2080 to inquire.

So i guess even the top schools are in trouble

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:34 am

I heard John Marshall advertising during the radio broadcast of the Atlanta Braves, mentioning an open house and directing listeners to their admissions webpage.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:05 pm

thisiswater wrote:Got a fee waiver for next year from UCLA today but it also included this line:

*If you are interested in starting law school next month (August 12th), we may have a few seats available. Feel free to respond to this e-mail or give us a call at (310) 825-2080 to inquire.

Ouch :shock: :oops: :roll:

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:57 pm

thisiswater wrote:Got a fee waiver for next year from UCLA today but it also included this line:

Wow, I can't believe UCLA would do that.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:03 pm

UCLA in the fight of their lives to maintain their median LSAT

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:00 pm

I finally read Creighton's email for a long enough period of time that I found out how to unsubscribe from it. Patience really does pay off.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”