Law School Advertising Megathread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cicero76

Silver

Re: Law School Advertising Megathread

Post by Cicero76 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 am

Regulus wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:Why isn't Liberty calling me??? :cry: :cry: I've had a rough couple of days and would love to do some serious trolling to make myself feel better.
Liberty wrote:Dear Cicero76,

I'm posting this on behalf of Liberty University School of Law. I know that by creating an account on TLS, you probably didn't expect us to write a message to you on these forums, but neither do the applicants we call, yet we still contact them anyway.

We're excited to be able to offer you the opportunity to ditch your plans to attend a snobby institution like Yale and attend a wonderful school with Christian values at this point in the cycle. You might think that we are desperate for applications by the fact that we've taken the time to personally contact you in late July. However, this is not the case. Our message is just another testament of how much Jesus loves you and wants you to attend our school. Before responding "yea" or "nay," we ask that you consult our Savior through prayer and ask Him which school is truly right for you.

We look forward to your positive response.

Sincerely,

A caring 3L who is calling you to in order to make enough money to start paying back his loans because they realized that they won't be employed after graduation
I just spat water across my desk at work. God help the applicant pool if a TTT ever decides to hire you. You could convince me to go to Barry just for the lolz if you were an adcom

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 am

I've been getting the Liberty calls, but I haven't picked up yet. I'm kind of tempted to just say that I'm Jewish right off the bat and see what happens.
Liberty would be fine with you being Jewish, or any other religion. You won't get them that way. ;)

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:56 am

RoaringMice wrote:
I've been getting the Liberty calls, but I haven't picked up yet. I'm kind of tempted to just say that I'm Jewish right off the bat and see what happens.
Liberty would be fine with you being Jewish, or any other religion. You won't get them that way. ;)
Maybe I should just go with "I don't think Liberty is a good fit because I want to work at a law firm"

They called on 7/17, 7/18, 7/22, and 7/23. I feel like a 5th call would warrant a somewhat frigid response.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 am

goldbh7 wrote: Maybe I should just go with "I don't think Liberty is a good fit because I want to work at a law firm"
:lol:

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Why was law school a waste of time for Jesus?

He was nailed on the boards.

waka waka

(Click)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:17 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Why was law school a waste of time for Jesus?

waka waka

(Click)
I don't get it.

I'm dumb/dense though so don't feel bad

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:

waka waka

(Click)
I don't get it.

I'm dumb/dense though so don't feel bad
I think he got law school mixed up with medical school. Plus the joke doesn't work anyway, because Jesus was a badass who practiced medicine without any need for a license

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:45 pm

I drove past something called "Ranken Technical College" yesterday. I thought of Cooley. :D

You know, without the library.

tbq1988

New

Post by tbq1988 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm

jselson wrote:Hey look, tbq is actually perfect for a Bayesian experiment (if he wants to work in Utah).

Tbq, you have to decide for real, which are you going to bet on - HYS or BYU with $$$$?
I never said that attending BYU or even UCLA (yes I just looked and they accepted 48 applicants last year with less than a 160 LSAT) was a better choice than attending HYS. Nice red herring though :) However, it still holds that someone with a sub 160 is sometimes justified in attending law school. Attending a local law school with little or no debt with a guaranteed job is a justifiable decision if you do not have other options open to you. Simply because a school has poor job placement doesn't mean it cannot be a good option for a student in specific cases. Attending Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, or BYU if you wish to practice law in their respective states is a pretty good option if you have in-state tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:03 pm

I saw a college in a mall one time.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:48 pm

tbq1988 wrote:
jselson wrote:Hey look, tbq is actually perfect for a Bayesian experiment (if he wants to work in Utah).

Tbq, you have to decide for real, which are you going to bet on - HYS or BYU with $$$$?
I never said that attending BYU or even UCLA (yes I just looked and they accepted 48 applicants last year with less than a 160 LSAT) was a better choice than attending HYS. Nice red herring though :) However, it still holds that someone with a sub 160 is sometimes justified in attending law school. Attending a local law school with little or no debt with a guaranteed job is a justifiable decision if you do not have other options open to you. Simply because a school has poor job placement doesn't mean it cannot be a good option for a student in specific cases. Attending Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, or BYU if you wish to practice law in their respective states is a pretty good option if you have in-state tuition.
I think schools like Wyoming and BYU are fantastic schools for their markets and for what they do - provide good options at fair prices for residents who want to work in their states, and states that are generally underserved. But, as Regulus just now pointed out, you're the one who brought Harvard into this in some strange bid for one-upsmanship. I just think it's funny, considering that you're gunning for HY.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tbq1988

New

Post by tbq1988 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 pm

I apologize if I came off as portraying one-upmanship. The anecdote regarding Harvard was simply my attempt to give an example of how going to an elite school does not guarantee a job in certain markets and that going to a local law school can have significant advantages for individuals without the numbers to attend a T14. I did not intend to sound disrespectful or uppity. The legal world tends to be somewhat elitist but I don't think someone who chooses to attend a lower tier law school should be automatically rejected as inferior or looked upon as making a poor decision. I would have no problem attending my local law school if I had a 150 instead of a 173. I have enough savings to make it out with little or no debt and I would have an advantage getting a job post graduation given my previous work in the local legal market.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 am

goldbh7 wrote:
RoaringMice wrote:
Maybe I should just go with "I don't think Liberty is a good fit because I want to work at a law firm"

They called on 7/17, 7/18, 7/22, and 7/23. I feel like a 5th call would warrant a somewhat frigid response.
Okay, got call #5 today. I have an incredibly Jewish last name so just hearing someone from Liberty say it made me start laughing. I was nice about it though.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:15 am

goldbh7 wrote:I saw a college in a mall one time.
It's not unheard of for a real school to have a branch campus in a weird spot that's accessible to its target market. For example, SUNY Westchester, a community college, has a branch in a mall in Yonkers, NY. I think I also remember U New Hampshire having a branch in a former mill in Manchester, NH. So while having a branch in a mall can be a "woah" red flag, it isn't necessarily one.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

I got another email from Liberty today, but they can't call me, because my phone number in LSAC is fake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smus

New

Post by smus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:38 am

I checked LGBTQ on LSAC, is this why I haven't gotten a call from Liberty?

(Edited for grammar)

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 pm

smus wrote:I checked LGBTQ on LSAC, is this why I haven't gotten a call from Liberty?

(Edited for grammar)
Or your LSAT score was too high or Liberty's trained hamsters forgot to input your phone number into the call system.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 pm

waka waka

(Click)
This quality joke deserved more applause than this thread currently offered it.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Can't believe no one's posted this yet:
Dear jselson,

Because I consider you a promising applicant, I am very interested in seeing your LSAC application. That's why I would like to let you know that the deadline to submit your application to Creighton University School of Law is August 10, two weeks from today.

As a reminder, when you apply, you'll take advantage of:
•A waived application fee.
•A prompt admission decision (one week after we receive your completed application).
•Automatic consideration for scholarships ranging from $2,000 to full tuition, books and fees.

Jselson, as a Creighton Law student, you'll have endless opportunities to gain practical legal knowledge and sharpen your skills by participating in regional and national competitions such as the National Moot Court Competition, the ABA Arbitration Competition and the National Trial Competition.

I look forward to reviewing your application.

Marianne B. Culhane
Dean and Professor
Creighton University School of Law
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
And obviously a TTT wouldn't use the Oxford comma :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:27 am

So I found this super misleading, I got a fee waiver from Lewis and Clark in the mail but the envelope had a huge return address of "Northwestern School of Law" and in small letters underneath it said "of Lewis and Clark University". The header on the letter had it that way too. At first glance all you see in Northwestern, how many people does that pull in? Talk about being borderline scammy.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

politics89 wrote:So I found this super misleading, I got a fee waiver from Lewis and Clark in the mail but the envelope had a huge return address of "Northwestern School of Law" and in small letters underneath it said "of Lewis and Clark University". The header on the letter had it that way too. At first glance all you see in Northwestern, how many people does that pull in? Talk about being borderline scammy.
Wow. Pics?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm

politics89 wrote:So I found this super misleading, I got a fee waiver from Lewis and Clark in the mail but the envelope had a huge return address of "Northwestern School of Law" and in small letters underneath it said "of Lewis and Clark University". The header on the letter had it that way too. At first glance all you see in Northwestern, how many people does that pull in? Talk about being borderline scammy.
Anyone moronic enough to go to Lewis & Clark thinking they're attending NU should be stripped of their bachelor's degree.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm

thats pretty shady, if you type in northwestern school of law i think the 3rd link on google is Lewis and Clark, im glad they havent figured out some way to push themselves ahead on the search

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”