Law School Advertising Megathread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PRgradBYU

Silver

Re: Law School Advertising Megathread

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

[Redacted.]
Last edited by PRgradBYU on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm

If this thread doesn't deliver the lolz, I'm quitting TLS.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Also, what if they read this thread? Potential repercussions? They have my name, address and now they know what school I'm going to...
Get this thread moved to the lounge (where it sort of belongs anyways :D ) and then at least someone would have to be a member to see it and it wouldn't be indexed on Google.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Welcome to TLS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue May 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Regulus, you diverted from the federal clerkship questions...or they did :lol:

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue May 07, 2013 9:28 pm

I've so been looking forward to Regulus' sarcasm in his trolling. I'm going to send out a round tomorrow.

This thread should be renamed "ITT: We Troll and Shame TTTTs."
Last edited by North on Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 pm

This stuff's pretty funny. But you guys know you can just e-mail those schools back and tell them you're not interested and they'll remove you from their list (the schools without un-subscribe options) Worked for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

slawww wrote:This stuff's pretty funny. But you guys know you can just e-mail those schools back and tell them you're not interested and they'll remove you from their list (the schools without un-subscribe options) Worked for me.
Not the point.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Regulus wrote:Haha yeah after all of that I still have no idea how their scholarships work. The one adcomm kept saying a 3.3, which translates to a B+, and only 10~15% of students get into this range. However, I think they were getting that confused with the UGPA requirement for the first 2 semesters of law school, which says that if you have a 165+ / 3.3+, then you're eligible for a full-ride scholarship for the first 2 semesters only. I wasn't able to get them to tell me what the scholarship renewal requirement for a full-ride was, and on their website it says 2.6-2.8, but I am not sure if this is for full rides. Either way, it is really sketchy because they keep pointing you to different people, none of whom can properly answer your questions.
That was an entertaining read, haha. I'm not sure which is funnier: 1) the fact that you have to be ranked in the top TWO STUDENTS in your class to receive a full-ride scholly or 2) the fact that they refused to answer your question about federal clerkships. Either way, it made for some good lulz.
slawww wrote:This stuff's pretty funny. But you guys know you can just e-mail those schools back and tell them you're not interested and they'll remove you from their list (the schools without un-subscribe options) Worked for me.
Get a sense of humor.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

PRgradBYU wrote: Get a sense of humor.
Lol, I seriously think it's funny, and really sad (on the schools' part). And I understand the point, North, just sayin' they'll stop e-mailing you if you respond to one of those e-mails. I never thought of actually asking them to stop until like the 14th e-mail that lady from Florida Coastal sent me.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 am

Hello sanjola,

As a prospective law student, I am sure you are aware of the importance of securing a job once you graduate. Phoenix School of Law is an ABA accredited law school with our campus in the heart of downtown Phoenix, Arizona. Phoenix School of Law has the leading career placement numbers in many measures of employment against similar law schools.

Below are just some of the categories that we are currently excelling in against our top 10 comparable schools*. We have the:

#1 Full-time, long-term employment - 65% of Phoenix School of Law graduates were employed full-time, long-term after 9 months of graduation compared to as little as 35% for some competitors.
#1 Bar pass required or JD advantaged employment - 83% of Phoenix School of Law graduates were employed in either bar pass required or JD advantaged employment including 61% in full-time, long-term employment. Competitors placed as few as 47% and 28% respectively.
#1 Bar pass required, JD advantaged or professional employment - 90% of Phoenix School of Law graduates were employed in either bar pass required, JD advantaged or other professional employment including 65% in full-time, long-term employment. Competitors placed as few as 55% and 34% respectively.
#1 law firm employment - 48% of Phoenix School of Law graduates were employed in law firms within 9 months of graduation compared to as little as 24% for some competitors.
#1 Lowest Unemployment rate - Only 6% of Phoenix School of Law graduates were unemployed after 9 months of graduation compared to up to 38% at some of our competitors.
To learn more about our successes in career placement please simply reply to this email or give me a call at 602.682.6813. In addition, you can find our analysis of our performance against our peer set at --LinkRemoved--

If you are interested in apply to Phoenix School of Law please visit http://www.lsac.org.

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole Knowlton Thephasdin
Admissions Counselor
Phoenix School of Law
One North Central Ave
Phoenix, Arizona 85004
T 602.682.6813 F 602.682.6999
http://www.phoenixlaw.edu
nthephasdin@phoenixlaw.edu

*Top comparable schools based on the application overlap reports provided by the Law School Admission Counsel (LSAC). Top 10 comparable schools include: Appalachian, Barry, Cal Western, Golden Gate, New England, thomas cooley, Thomas Jefferson, Valparaiso, Western State, and Whittier.

Wow, PSL beats out Cooley & Co.!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 am

I actually read the whole thing and basically the adcoms are idiots specialized to give a certain spiel and don't know what any other adcom does (in the slightest).
The first adcom that Regulus was talking to though he meant receiving the scholarship in the first place, which is why she said you need a 3.3 and that this was the first or second percentile (meaning a 165/3.3 is better stats than 99% of incoming students).
They keep referring you to different people because they have no clue. They have a script, and going off of it is a scary notion.
To keep the scholly you need to maintain a 2.8. Pretty straight forward.
If you respond, ask something like "will I be graded compared to other students with similar scholarships?" And see if you can get them to admit to section stacking.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:46 am

North wrote:
Not the point.
party pooper

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:10 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am

Regulus wrote:Also, I've heard "section stacking" mentioned a lot on TLS, but because it was never really relevant to me, I haven't looked into it very much; what exactly is it?
Scumbag TTTT gives out a ton of big scholarships to lure people with okay numbers away from other schools. They put a top 50% stip on it. Then they put all the scholarship "winners" in the same curved 1L section. 50% have to be below median, so 50% lose their scholarship. Scumbag TTTT, who already has those kid's stats, further fucks its students and makes a bunch more money from Sallie Mae.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

You asked the wrong question, Regulus. What you should have asked was: "What is the required uGPA and LSAT to become a Barry Law Adcomm?" They'd have actually known the answer for once and could have instantly replied 1.9/135.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Agh, you beat me to it! I saw this email first thing this morning and about died laughing when I read that Barry is resorting to giving away iPads. Paying $150k+ for Barry Law doesn't seem like such a bad investment when they're giving you a $500 iPad, huh?
Last edited by PRgradBYU on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed May 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Welcome to TLS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:Case Western just emailed me about "Guaranteed Scholarships." Body of the email indicated that they have seats available in their fall class for strong candidates "like me" and have typically given given 25k/year to someone with my numbers. They then said that the "guaranteed" language referred to the lack of stipulation...except for having a 2.33 GPA, which according to the email simply meant good standing, but I thought that was a bit muddled.

They've gotten weirdly into the mud at TTT this cycle.
My favorite part of that email was this: "We have the feel of a small college, but the power and reach of a national law school."

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:Case Western just emailed me about "Guaranteed Scholarships." Body of the email indicated that they have seats available in their fall class for strong candidates "like me" and have typically given given 25k/year to someone with my numbers. They then said that the "guaranteed" language referred to the lack of stipulation...except for having a 2.33 GPA, which according to the email simply meant good standing, but I thought that was a bit muddled.

To be fair, its a much better deal than having to be ranked first or second in the class like Barry.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed May 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Welcome to TLS

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:

To be fair, its a much better deal than having to be ranked first or second in the class like Barry.
Absolutely apples and oranges, not even trying to compare them. Just throwing it into this thread. I'm also in Ohio, so I think they've been really aggressive with me. And to be extra dickish...thanks for bribing me with the same amount of money I got from the T14, I'm super impressed!
Got the same email, said I would get anywhere between 25K/year-full ride. 25K is less than what I got from some t14s.

/humblebrag

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”