What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jas1503

Re: What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD?

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:35 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

I swear down Jay-Z said the same, exact thing.
Last edited by jas1503 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Your OP doesn't make much sense.

How do you figure you can "easily" or "surely" get into a T-14 law school but yet you would have to go to a bottom of the barrel medical school outside of the US? If you have the grades for a T-14 law school, wouldn't you be able to get into some respectable medical schools in the US? Obviously, the MCAT matters as well. But in general, one would think that if you are able to do well on one standardized test this would SOMEWHAT carry over to other ones as well. I can't image you would get like a 97% percentile score on the LSAT and then pull a 60% percentile score on the MCAT.

If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

Ok. Carry on OP. But I still am dumbfounded by your orignal thread post.

MCAT tests knowledge of subject matter, through. It's completely different than the LSAT. And getting a 3.8 while prelaw is a totally different story than getting a 3.8 while premed and taking orgo, physics, bio, etc.

Fair enough. This is in line with what my pre-med buddies have told me. But I still don't see how OP would be looking at T-14 law schools and not at least "TT" or "TTT" medical schools within the U.S. Generally, the vast majority of people from most medical schools in the U.S. have good outcomes. So are you saying OP you cannot get into "any" medical schools within the U.S. but yet your GPA would make you competitive for the T-14? I don't get it.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm

jas1503 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

I swear down Jay-Z said the same exact thing.

Really? I listen to Jay-Z all of the time, but I didn't intentionally steal that line from him. I don't have all of his CD's though. I am not frontin'. If I was bitin' his line, I would say so and give due credit. What song is it?

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

Really? I listen to Jay-Z all of the time, but I didn't intentionally steal that line from him. I don't have all of his CD's though. I am not frontin'. If I was bitin' his line, I would say so and give due credit. What song is it?

:lol: Just messing with you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddf_NsBsUuU

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 02, 2013 7:44 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

How do you figure you can "easily" or "surely" get into a T-14 law school but yet you would have to go to a bottom of the barrel medical school outside of the US? If you have the grades for a T-14 law school, wouldn't you be able to get into some respectable medical schools in the US? Obviously, the MCAT matters as well. But in general, one would think that if you are able to do well on one standardized test this would SOMEWHAT carry over to other ones as well. I can't image you would get like a 97% percentile score on the LSAT and then pull a 60% percentile score on the MCAT.

If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

MCAT tests knowledge of subject matter, through. It's completely different than the LSAT. And getting a 3.8 while prelaw is a totally different story than getting a 3.8 while premed and taking orgo, physics, bio, etc.

Fair enough. This is in line with what my pre-med buddies have told me. But I still don't see how OP would be looking at T-14 law schools and not at least "TT" or "TTT" medical schools within the U.S. Generally, the vast majority of people from most medical schools in the U.S. have good outcomes. So are you saying OP you cannot get into "any" medical schools within the U.S. but yet your GPA would make you competitive for the T-14? I don't get it.

I think getting into a good med school is actually correlated with your demonstrated aptitude for science/willingness to work your ass off like a doctor has to (at least initially), unlike law school. So OP's ability to do well on the prereqs and the MCAT would be related to this aptitude, and his current GPA may have very little to do with that. I see what you're saying though.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
fallingup wrote:Med school takes way longer. I don't want to be in school/residency for 7 fucking years (not to mention the time it would take to do a post-bacc because I wasn't pre-med during undergrad). I'm a woman - the time really factors into the decision for me. Right now I'm on track to graduate law school by age 26. I want to have a child by age 30. That gives me a solid 3-4 years to focus on my career, earn a legit salary, and enjoy marriage child-free.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh boy.

Obvious SouthernBelle alt

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 pm

jas1503 wrote:

bizzybone isn't a troll?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm

stillwater wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

bizzybone isn't a troll?

As I have promised in the past, I will either post a pic of my official LSAT score when I take the test or post a pic of the acceptance letter of the LS I ultimately decide to attend. I don't want ya'll to trip over having wasted time out of your life responding to the "troll". The time wasn't a waste.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm

jas1503 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

:lol: Just messing with you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddf_NsBsUuU

Nah, you are right-- that is exactly the message Jay-Z is giving in this song. It just didn't come to mind when you said it. I own this CD. It is real good. I haven't listened to it in a while. I listened to it on the way to the American Gangster movie. My GF at the time (who is black) closed her ears and went LA-LA-LA-LA for the whole song and said the song is "Ignorant Shit". She is the type that basically thinks rap music reflects badly on blacks. I turned my head to her and said, "Whose car are we in right now?" And then, I jacked up the volume again. After the movie, I put on "Heart of the City"-- that is my song right there.

When I post seriously on TLS, these guys call me a troll. If I were to intentionally troll, they would hail me a genius.

Ok. The discussion of this song made me reflect on my ex. I am going to go feel sad now. I still miss my ex-GF. She has a great personality. :(.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

So as someone who did take all those classes... I'm making a big mistake right? :lol:

snowedin

Postby snowedin » Fri May 03, 2013 1:43 am

jas1503 wrote:

I am merely asking this question hypothetically, it is not something that I am presently planning on doing. There are threads abouth this issue on med school forums and I merely wanted to hear this forum's take on it, especially considering how pessimistic this forum is about law school in general. I never said that someone at a T14 could not get into an American med school, just that I assume that even if they are terrible at math and science they could at least get into a Caribbean med school.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:55 am

francesfarmer wrote:

pre-law isnt a thing, so thats a pretty shit comparison

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri May 03, 2013 3:32 am

dr123 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Pre-law is an actual major at a lot of schools. Even though most law students were never "pre-law," the fact remains that most of them aren't from hard science backgrounds and were English/Poli Sci/Philo etc. majors.

indo

Postby indo » Fri May 03, 2013 3:37 am

Pneumonia wrote:
rad lulz wrote:HVAC technician

indeed. or plumber.

My plumber been making over $ 200K per year.

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 am

buddytyler wrote:
snowedin wrote:I ask because everyone knows that in general the job market for medical graduates is much stronger then for law graduates. Does this extend to the lowest tier of med school being a better choice then the highest tier of law school? If that is the case, why don't T14 bound people just get a Caribbean MD instead? Iregardless of their math and science ability, I assume that anyone that can get into a t14 law school could get into a Caribbean med school if they wanted to,if they completed the pre med requirements.

snowedin wrote:Iregardless

snowedin wrote:Iregardless

this also made my fist clinch

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 am

what a load of crap in this thread

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri May 03, 2013 10:00 am

dr123 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

I didn't mean pre-law as a major, I meant like history/poly sci/liberal arts which like 90% of law students major in.

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Fri May 03, 2013 10:34 am

I live with two Med Students at a top 20 institution. They laughed their asses off at this idea.

Residency can be viewed as our OCI (not a perfect comparison, but it is where employment opportunities among Med students become vastly different). Similar to a TTT in big law there may be anecdotal evidence otherwise, but there are not a lot of Caribbean MDs styling the high pay residencies if they get a residency at all.

Basically there are a hell of a lot more people coming out of t-14s JD making over 100k than Caribbean MDs.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Last edited by bearsfan23 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri May 03, 2013 4:58 pm

arizonairish wrote:I live with two Med Students at a top 20 institution. They laughed their asses off at this idea.

Residency can be viewed as our OCI (not a perfect comparison, but it is where employment opportunities among Med students become vastly different). Similar to a TTT in big law there may be anecdotal evidence otherwise, but there are not a lot of Caribbean MDs styling the high pay residencies if they get a residency at all.

Basically there are a hell of a lot more people coming out of t-14s JD making over 100k than Caribbean MDs.

I think your roommates might be a little biased towards MD programs. There are not really any high paying residencies. In fact I have never heard of one above 50k.

As for rates: 49.2% of international medical graduates "match" (which is the equivalent of OCI, except its done in one day, electronically, nationwide from an electronic file containing resumes, LoRs, grades, rankings, and test scores). Another, 30.8% got unmatched jobs (similar to mass mailing firms). The rest struck out.

In many ways its apples and oranges, and most of the disadvantages of nonUS med schools occurs mid-career or later (when it comes to fellowships, specialties, and Director/Chief positions), but IMO the outcomes are similar or better then most of the T14.

Source: Student Doctor Network.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Do you want your job to be taken by a website or a robot, I would expect the robot they are more expensive therefore you might be able to get a job working as their assistant.

Lastly if I had done pre med by lsac gpa would be .6-.9 lower, now I am planning on doing post bacc so that in case I don't get in to med school I can go to law school with my original easy GPA
Last edited by TheBiggerMediocre on Fri May 03, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howlery

Postby howlery » Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 pm

I feel like there are other alternatives. Instead of becoming a doctor, why not become a pharmacist? They make six figures IIRC. Maybe not $160k, but at least you don't have to be in the legal market or deal with blood and guts as an MD. The decision shouldn't or realistically wouldn't come to T14 JD or off-brand MD IMO.

There are also plenty of threads on med school boards about people who thought they were "bad" at math/science who were able to pull it together enough to get in to a school in the U.S. You don't have to do a post bacc, just go take the classes at a university and do well. It seems like going to any med school, not failing, and sticking through the whole 7-year process pretty much guarantees a decent middle if not upper middle class life with great security. From what I know, you don't need ties or anything because qualified MDs are wanted everywhere. Just get in and stick with it.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Fri May 03, 2013 5:49 pm

howlery wrote:I feel like there are other alternatives. Instead of becoming a doctor, why not become a pharmacist? They make six figures IIRC. Maybe not $160k, but at least you don't have to be in the legal market or deal with blood and guts as an MD. The decision shouldn't or realistically wouldn't come to T14 JD or off-brand MD IMO.

There are also plenty of threads on med school boards about people who thought they were "bad" at math/science who were able to pull it together enough to get in to a school in the U.S. You don't have to do a post bacc, just go take the classes at a university and do well. It seems like going to any med school, not failing, and sticking through the whole 7-year process pretty much guarantees a decent middle if not upper middle class life with great security. From what I know, you don't need ties or anything because qualified MDs are wanted everywhere. Just get in and stick with it.

The pharmacist market is saturated in all populated areas, I would just start a pot farm and sell on the blackmarket in colorado.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Fri May 03, 2013 6:01 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:My friend's father actually had a Caribbean MD and a JD from some random law school, and he was one of the richest people I've ever met. He started his own company, but I don't remember exactly what that company did; he was of the "boomer" generation, but still, things seemed to play out pretty well for him. :roll:

TTTT JD + Caribbean MD = profit.

Got it. :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”