What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
snowedin

What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD?

Postby snowedin » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 am

I ask because everyone knows that in general the job market for medical graduates is much stronger then for law graduates. Does this extend to the lowest tier of med school being a better choice then the highest tier of law school? If that is the case, why don't T14 bound people just get a Caribbean MD instead? Iregardless of their math and science ability, I assume that anyone that can get into a t14 law school could get into a Caribbean med school if they wanted to,if they completed the pre med requirements.
Last edited by snowedin on Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaiAilian2013

Re: What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 am

Because there aren't that many people equally willing to be a doctor and a lawyer. After you get the job, then you have you know, do the job, for the rest of your life

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 am

Med school takes way longer. I don't want to be in school/residency for 7 fucking years (not to mention the time it would take to do a post-bacc because I wasn't pre-med during undergrad). I'm a woman - the time really factors into the decision for me. Right now I'm on track to graduate law school by age 26. I want to have a child by age 30. That gives me a solid 3-4 years to focus on my career, earn a legit salary, and enjoy marriage child-free.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 am

HVAC technician

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am

rad lulz wrote:HVAC technician

indeed. or plumber.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am

fallingup wrote:Med school takes way longer. I don't want to be in school/residency for 7 fucking years (not to mention the time it would take to do a post-bacc because I wasn't pre-med during undergrad). I'm a woman - the time really factors into the decision for me. Right now I'm on track to graduate law school by age 26. I want to have a child by age 30. That gives me a solid 3-4 years to focus on my career, earn a legit salary, and enjoy marriage child-free.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu May 02, 2013 12:01 pm

My friend is at a Caribbean med school. It is the lulziest thing ever.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm

snowedin wrote:I ask because everyone knows that in general the job market for medical graduates is much stronger then for law graduates. Does this extend to the lowest tier of med school being a better choice then the highest tier of law school? If that is the case, why don't T14 bound people just get a Caribbean MD instead? Iregardless of their math and science ability, I assume that anyone that can get into a t14 law school could get into a Caribbean med school if they wanted to,if they completed the pre med requirements.

Caribbean med school-without a doubt! Even Philippines med school would be a better choice.

...Hell, even a Chinese med school would be better!
Last edited by jas1503 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 pm

I would never want my doctor to be a doctor from the carribbean.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

I wonder who kill more people the Pirates of the Caribbean or the Doctors of the Caribbean? Legit question.

I guess Caribbean doctors help the medical malpractice law market, so its all good.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
fallingup wrote:Med school takes way longer. I don't want to be in school/residency for 7 fucking years (not to mention the time it would take to do a post-bacc because I wasn't pre-med during undergrad). I'm a woman - the time really factors into the decision for me. Right now I'm on track to graduate law school by age 26. I want to have a child by age 30. That gives me a solid 3-4 years to focus on my career, earn a legit salary, and enjoy marriage child-free.

Oh boy.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:I wonder who kill more people the Pirates of the Caribbean or the Doctors of the Caribbean? Legit question.

I guess Caribbean doctors help the medical malpractice law market, so its all good.

There are plenty of Doctors from the Caribbean working in US hospitals, but you wouldn't really know it.

Caribbean med school is like the law school 1st tier schools. When you can't get into DO school, then you go to a Caribbean med school.

You learn the same things, do your rotations in the US, and go through more exams for certification, so no one is going to let you practice if you don't know what you're doing.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Thu May 02, 2013 3:12 pm

You can't plan for or expect things to happen a certain way, but if you want something, you have to structure your life in a way that will make it possible. That's all.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I have a friend that went to Mexico to get his MD, because he couldn't get into American medical schools. I have heard that it is far more difficult to get residency in the US if you don't attend a U.S. school. Have you heard this OP? Is this true?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

jas1503 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:I wonder who kill more people the Pirates of the Caribbean or the Doctors of the Caribbean? Legit question.

There are plenty of Doctors from the Caribbean working in US hospitals, but you wouldn't really know it.

Caribbean med school is like the law school 1st tier schools. When you can't get into DO school, then you go to a Caribbean med school.

You learn the same things, do your rotations in the US, and go through more exams for certification, so no one is going to let you practice if you don't know what you're doing.

Srsly. Who asks their doc where they went to med school. I have no idea where any doc I've seen has gone to med school.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 pm

dr123 wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

Srsly. Who asks their doc where they went to med school. I have no idea where any doc I've seen has gone to med school.

It's a common misconception people have about med schools outside of the US: if a doctor isn't taught here, then they have no idea what they're doing.

It's almost like saying (no, it's not, but just let me have this one) if a lawyer went to GT instead of a legit T14, then they have no idea what they're doing.

Kabootar

Postby Kabootar » Thu May 02, 2013 3:43 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have a friend that went to Mexico to get his MD, because he couldn't get into American medical schools. I have heard that it is far more difficult to get residency in the US if you don't attend a U.S. school. Have you heard this OP? Is this true?

This is true. Also, the options to practice in a specialty field is extremely, I repeat, EXTREMELY difficult. That is not to say that it does not happen, but it is not very common. The starting salaries of these fields are not as high as those of specialty fields, and the added time taken in residency adds to accruing debt and interest on loans.

Why in God's name does this thread exist in the first place? I grew up watching my mother go through all the steps to becoming a doctor. I have many family members and friends who, as pre-med students, opted to go to the Caribbean, DO school, and are doing their post-bac. Going into medicine is not just a "oh shit, well I guess I can't do law, let me do medicine" kind of a decision. The health care system is in shambles. Even with HMO's such as Kaiser Permanente, you will get some security with your job, not have to pay malpractice insurance, have retirement benefits, but they treat their physicians like such shit. I'm not sure if this is the same across the board, but the intensity of politics and the amount of effort leadership puts into squashing top notch doctors into mediocrity is appalling at best.

If you honestly are deciding whether to go into either law school or medical school... it doesn't sound like you know what the hell you're doing in the first place. If you honestly want to do both, then hell, do both! Neither professions are lucrative, and neither professions will give you the lifestyle you crave. As per the quality of doctor that comes out of these programs (international or domestic) is irrelevant. The programs aren't sufficient in creating doctors, it is the residency programs that these students get into that create the quality and technique of the budding doctor. It is better to go to a medical school that is in America than going abroad.

bowser

Postby bowser » Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 pm

OP asked a specific question, which I am assuming is not about asking for personal advice but rather gauging just what you're getting into with a JD:

Those Caribbean schools have a certain number of rotational slots they've agreed to with hospitals. Many of them accept like 100 people when they only have rotational slots (these are clinical rotations done by 3rd-and-4th years) for 60. The program is designed to weed out the 40.

But everyone I know has easily passed that point, because they went into those schools with GPAs and MCAT scores much, much higher than the average. They were just not quite good enough to get into American schools, or they were the victim of the rather arbitrary system of acceptance at those schools.

When they graduate these people need to get residencies. The residency matching rate for Caribbean schools range average like ~75% I think. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Most people who don't match don't match because they are attempting to get into a competitive specialty residency. A Caribbean student, even one with a strong app, will be at a significant disadvantage trying to get into radiology or dermatology or something.

At this point, I believe med school graduates who are willing to match with a high-demand specialty like family practice, pediatrics, or general internal medicine and who have geographic flexibility can match. This applies to Carribbean MD's as well.

Whether all that is more secure than a T14, who knows.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 pm

A friend of the family got her MD at a Caribbean medical school and she hasn't found a residency despite trying to get "matched" for the past 2 years. I wouldn't risk it, to be honest. If you want to be a doctor, go through the traditional route.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 pm

*timidly raises hand*

T14 JD

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Thu May 02, 2013 6:04 pm

National Lapoon presents Caribbean MD: Oceans of Debt Edition

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

snowedin wrote:I ask because everyone knows that in general the job market for medical graduates is much stronger then for law graduates. Does this extend to the lowest tier of med school being a better choice then the highest tier of law school? If that is the case, why don't T14 bound people just get a Caribbean MD instead? Iregardless of their math and science ability, I assume that anyone that can get into a t14 law school could get into a Caribbean med school if they wanted to,if they completed the pre med requirements.

snowedin wrote:Iregardless

snowedin wrote:Iregardless

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 pm

mephistopheles wrote:

Valid consideration except for the whole enjoying life while a lawyer thing

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Your OP doesn't make much sense.

How do you figure you can "easily" or "surely" get into a T-14 law school but yet you would have to go to a bottom of the barrel medical school outside of the US? If you have the grades for a T-14 law school, wouldn't you be able to get into some respectable medical schools in the US? Obviously, the MCAT matters as well. But in general, one would think that if you are able to do well on one standardized test this would SOMEWHAT carry over to other ones as well. I can't image you would get like a 97% percentile score on the LSAT and then pull a 60% percentile score on the MCAT.

If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

Ok. Carry on OP. But I still am dumbfounded by your orignal thread post.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Your OP doesn't make much sense.

How do you figure you can "easily" or "surely" get into a T-14 law school but yet you would have to go to a bottom of the barrel medical school outside of the US? If you have the grades for a T-14 law school, wouldn't you be able to get into some respectable medical schools in the US? Obviously, the MCAT matters as well. But in general, one would think that if you are able to do well on one standardized test this would SOMEWHAT carry over to other ones as well. I can't image you would get like a 97% percentile score on the LSAT and then pull a 60% percentile score on the MCAT.

If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

Ok. Carry on OP. But I still am dumbfounded by your orignal thread post.

MCAT tests knowledge of subject matter, through. It's completely different than the LSAT. And getting a 3.8 while prelaw is a totally different story than getting a 3.8 while premed and taking orgo, physics, bio, etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”