Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm

I would love to see Ruxin make a post that was a full paragraph long. Say, 8 sentences. I wonder if it would be 8 separate sarcastically quippy non-sequiturs or if it would actually be coherent and cohesive.

Agreed with Romo, the report looks interesting.

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Thu May 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why would you making money hit my ego. Especially you making 200K. Thats not all that much.

(Has 260k in student loan debt)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why would you making money hit my ego. Especially you making 200K. Thats not all that much.

(Has 260k in student loan debt)


For my sanity, I MUST BELIEVE 260 isn't A LOT of money.

@person who asked in what universe 200k isn't a lot: On a message board full of future big law lawyers.

User avatar
VegasLaw702
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby VegasLaw702 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
@person who asked in what universe 200k isn't a lot: On a message board full of future big law lawyers.


Shit, even the biggest of biglaw is only paying new associates ~$160k to start. Assuming you never make partner, after 6 or 7 years you will be right around $220k + bonuses and whatnot. But I'm with desert fox on this one, law students should be striving to clear $200k, otherwise what the hell are we doing?

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Image

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:45 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
@person who asked in what universe 200k isn't a lot: On a message board full of future big law lawyers.


Shit, even the biggest of biglaw is only paying new associates ~$160k to start. Assuming you never make partner, after 6 or 7 years you will be right around $220k + bonuses and whatnot. But I'm with desert fox on this one, law students should be striving to clear $200k, otherwise what the hell are we doing?


If you are getting bonuses you start at 170k. You should be making over 200k by your third year if you get bonuses. Fourth years get 210 in base + 27k bonus.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby NYstate » Thu May 02, 2013 5:09 pm

You guys realize that the report this thread is about said that 25% of 2011 grads in Illionois are making less than $50,000.

Epyon!
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby Epyon! » Thu May 02, 2013 6:53 pm

NYstate wrote:You guys realize that the report this thread is about said that 25% of 2011 grads in Illionois are making less than $50,000.


Yea, I didn't see the overall relevance.

User avatar
VegasLaw702
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am

Re: Illinois State Bar Report on Law School Debt

Postby VegasLaw702 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Epyon! wrote:
NYstate wrote:You guys realize that the report this thread is about said that 25% of 2011 grads in Illionois are making less than $50,000.


Yea, I didn't see the overall relevance.


The main point of the article was that the $50k isn't enough to service the average debt load of those graduates. It also suggested that law schools cut out the fluff courses as a way to reduce the amount of loans needed, and do more to place grads into decent paying jobs. Very relevant.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests