ATL's Law School Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DorianGray89

Bronze

Re: ATL's Law School Rankings

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Kronk wrote:I don't go to CLS. I'm just saying putting CLS behind Duke is hilarious when the main aspect of the methodology is supposedly employment stats, biglawl placement, and clerkships.
So I guess you're basing your conclusion on reputation, and not actual facts like ATL did... hmm...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Kronk wrote:I don't go to CLS. I'm just saying putting CLS behind Duke is hilarious when the main aspect of the methodology is supposedly employment stats, biglawl placement, and clerkships.
It depends on the data source. I know CLS will place better, but duke managed to report really impressive placement last year.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
So I guess you're basing your conclusion on reputation, and not actual facts like ATL did... hmm...
(goes to Duke)

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
(goes to Duke)
Yes, I do...so what? ATL doesnt and they still found Duke above CLS....

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Yes, I do...so what? ATL doesnt and they still found Duke above CLS....
There's a difference in quality of employment, is my point.

Employment Data for BigLawl (100+ firms) in 2012:

Duke - 52% of all graduates
CLS - 64.6% of all graduates

I guess that is my point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Meh. Could be justifiable depending on how they broke shit down within the employment category. Not laughably absurd imo

Federal clerkship rate
Duke - 13%
Columbia - 8%

School funded jerbs
Duke - 5%
Columbia - 8%

BigLaw(l)
Columbia - 64%
Duke - 51%

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:Yes, I do...so what? ATL doesnt and they still found Duke above CLS....
There's a difference in quality of employment, is my point.

Employment Data for BigLawl (100+ firms) in 2012:

Duke - 52% of all graduates
CLS - 64.6% of all graduates

I guess that is my point.
Thats only one aspect of the rankings though...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Are SCOTUS clerkships in the calculation supposed to be a prestige proxy or is it really just because David Lat has a SCOTUS clerk boner?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Are SCOTUS clerkships in the calculation supposed to be a prestige proxy or is it really just because David Lat has a SCOTUS clerk boner?
Likely a bit of both. You can't have a legitimate ranking without HYS first, there's no easy way to count Fed COA clerks, and Lat is the biggest prestige whore on the planet.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
I'd say "which school gets you a market-paying job?" should be a bigger aspect of the rankings, then. I don't care if both schools put 90% of their graduates into jobs if one school has 75% in 160K jobs and federal clerkships and the other has 60% 160K jobs and federal clerkships with another 15% in midlaw or other private work that they took because they couldn't get one of the other two.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Wed May 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
I'd say "which school gets you a market-paying job?" should be a bigger aspect of the rankings, then. I don't care if both schools put 90% of their graduates into jobs if one school has 75% in 160K jobs and federal clerkships and the other has 60% 160K jobs and federal clerkships with another 15% in midlaw or other private work that they took because they couldn't get one of the other two.
So what you're saying is Penn is better than Yale.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed May 01, 2013 10:33 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
Not at all. Academia and prestigious clerkships are better than 160K jobs. I'm just saying if school X and school Y employ 90% of people, but the average prestige of the jobs school X places people into is a 9/10 and the prestige that school Y puts people into is a 7/10 there is a difference.

People considering whether to go to Duke or CLS are (usually) smart enough to be able to make a personal decision on whether to attend the school with the higher COA. It's weird to put it into the rankings and it just leads to misleading results, IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 pm

After seeing this I'm kind of crying that I chose Emory over UGA...with more $ at UGA (not much, but still). Boo.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:After seeing this I'm kind of crying that I chose Emory over UGA...with more $ at UGA (not much, but still). Boo.
Why? employment stats alone suggest Emory over UGA (although the numbers are marginal). The reason UGA is so high in the rankings is that the tuition is cheaper than the schools around it.

Shoulda gone to New Mexico

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed May 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Kronk wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
Not at all. Academia and prestigious clerkships are better than 160K jobs. I'm just saying if school X and school Y employ 90% of people, but the average prestige of the jobs school X places people into is a 9/10 and the prestige that school Y puts people into is a 7/10 there is a difference.

People considering whether to go to Duke or CLS are (usually) smart enough to be able to make a personal decision on whether to attend the school with the higher COA. It's weird to put it into the rankings and it just leads to misleading results, IMO.
(quiver, J. concurring)

billiris321

New

Post by billiris321 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 pm

TheThriller wrote:
lawschoolwoohoo wrote:After seeing this I'm kind of crying that I chose Emory over UGA...with more $ at UGA (not much, but still). Boo.
Why? employment stats alone suggest Emory over UGA (although the numbers are marginal). The reason UGA is so high in the rankings is that the tuition is cheaper than the schools around it.

Shoulda gone to New Mexico
NEW MEXICO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't that place a desert wasteland?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 am

Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
I agree with you on this, but aren't federal clerkships > biglawl on the hierarchy? I mean at a school like Duke is there anyone that gets a federal or high-level state clerkship that either doesn't have biglaw, couldn't have gotten it, or won't be getting it post-clerkship? Basically any federal clerkship is tougher to get than a market paying job.

Related question: when a school like Duke has 10% fed clerks + 50% big firm placement, do the two overlap, or are people who are going clerkship -> firm excluded from that 50% number?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Meh. Could be justifiable depending on how they broke shit down within the employment category. Not laughably absurd imo

Federal clerkship rate
Duke - 13%
Columbia - 8%

School funded jerbs
Duke - 5%
Columbia - 8%

BigLaw(l)
Columbia - 64%
Duke - 51%

Is it typically like this year after year or was last year just an abnormally good year for Duke/abnormally bad year for CLS? To me, the most important stat is Biglawl + Clerkships

Duke 64%
CLS 72%

And that difference is mitigated by the fact that CLS has more folks that take school-funded jobs. Duke probably also places more students into regional firms that aren't caught by that biglaw metric but are of similar 'quality'

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 am

los blancos wrote: Duke 64%
CLS 72%

And that difference is mitigated by the fact that CLS has more folks that take school-funded jobs. Duke probably also places more students into regional firms that aren't caught by that biglaw metric but are of similar 'quality'
I agree with this number, but it makes no sense that the difference would be mitigated by school-funded jobs. School-funded jobs would have no bearing on that number at all, obviously. CLS also has a much larger class size.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 am

Kronk wrote:
CLS 72%

I agree with this number, but it makes no sense that the difference would be mitigated by school-funded jobs. School-funded jobs would have no bearing on that number at all, obviously. CLS also has a much larger class size.
Yeah, probably not between 8% and 5% - but like you said earlier ITT it's relevant to placement on the whole if a school has a ridiculous number of students taking school-funded jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 am

los blancos wrote:
Kronk wrote:
CLS 72%

Yeah, probably not between 8% and 5% - but like you said earlier ITT it's relevant to placement on the whole if a school has a ridiculous number of students taking school-funded jobs.
Nah I just meant the 72% doesn't include school-funded jobs, nor does the 64%. And I agree that those are the two numbers that (should be) important. Unless you're talking about how both of them have 93% of graduates employed in general, in which case it's a negative that a larger percentage of that is school-funded for CLS, which I agree with.

But it doesn't change the fact that they put a larger percentage of a larger class size into the most "desirable" jobs.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 am

los blancos wrote:
Kronk wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
I agree with you on this, but aren't federal clerkships > biglawl on the hierarchy? I mean at a school like Duke is there anyone that gets a federal or high-level state clerkship that either doesn't have biglaw, couldn't have gotten it, or won't be getting it post-clerkship? Basically any federal clerkship is tougher to get than a market paying job.

Related question: when a school like Duke has 10% fed clerks + 50% big firm placement, do the two overlap, or are people who are going clerkship -> firm excluded from that 50% number?
Big law percentage is based on NALP forms or NLJ250 reports, so it only counts the people actually starting as associates that year. So there shouldn't be any overlap.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 am

Elston Gunn wrote:Big law percentage is based on NALP forms or NLJ250 reports, so it only counts the people actually starting as associates that year. So there shouldn't be any overlap.
I think the question is whether they're being counted based on past clerkships, not past biglaw - I know they said they counted SCOTUS clerks back to 2008, so presumably at least last year's crop is getting counted again when they transition out to biglaw/gov.

I didn't see whether they're counting fed clerkships just for the present year - in which case NYU in particular had a major down year affecting their rank.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 am

So a Berkeley student wants school funded jobs taken out of the equation and for a stupid high cost of attendance to not be held against a school? I find this shocking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”