Will a “D” affect my law school admission offer? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steve2207

Bronze

Re: Will a “D” affect my law school admission offer?

Post by Steve2207 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:I plan to call them, but I want to wait and see what the final grade comes out to. I think this douchebag teacher may decide to apply a curve to his grades; I have the second highest grade in the class at a 66%, and I am thinking that failing every student in the class may raise some eyebrows.
1) How do you know you are the second highest at 66%

2) How do you know 66% = D?
I know I am the second highest because he gave me my grade on a piece of paper and it included my class rank. Also, the syllabus list any grade between 60% and 69% as a D.

To add to my concern, my GPA has already dropped since I sent my applications out. I went from a 3.58 to a 3.52 at the end of last semester. I didn’t realize I was supposed to update it.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm serious, many schools will let you switch to pass fail. Pass fail doesn't effect your gpa

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 pm

I no longer have to worry. I did well on the final today, which brings my overall grade to a C. Still pathetic I know, but atleast I can breathe abit easier. I will have my fingers crossed that a curve will be applied anyway.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I no longer have to worry. I did well on the final today, which brings my overall grade to a C. Still pathetic I know, but atleast I can breathe abit easier. I will have my fingers crossed that a curve will be applied anyway.
A bunch of stupid shitboomers pull this every semester. I'm guessing you'll get it curved.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Did the D affect your ability to pay law school tuition? If not, then it won't matter. Law schools are criminal syndicates run by crooks who smile at you while they stick their hands in your pocket looking for every bit of green they can lay their hands on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Well, he posted the final grade today, and I did not get curved! I am disappointed to have a C on my transcript after doing so well in my other courses. I never thought a level 100 elective would be the class to screw me, but, oh well, I guess it’s better than the D. I am predicting my final GPA will be a 3.47, and when I sent my applications out in the fall it was a 3.58, does anyone think this much of a drop will be an issue for law school, given that I have already paid my full deposit?

Incidentally, I got an e-mail from the law school I will be attending today reminding me that my scholarship was based entirely off of my LSAT, and encouraging me to retake in June (which I plan to do), in order to receive additional scholarship money. I take this as my GPA doesn’t really matter that much to them, am I wrong?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Steve2207 wrote:Well, he posted the final grade today, and I did not get curved! I am disappointed to have a C on my transcript after doing so well in my other courses. I never thought a level 100 elective would be the class to screw me, but, oh well, I guess it’s better than the D. I am predicting my final GPA will be a 3.47, and when I sent my applications out in the fall it was a 3.58, does anyone think this much of a drop will be an issue for law school, given that I have already paid my full deposit?

Incidentally, I got an e-mail from the law school I will be attending today reminding me that my scholarship was based entirely off of my LSAT, and encouraging me to retake in June (which I plan to do), in order to receive additional scholarship money. I take this as my GPA doesn’t really matter that much to them, am I wrong?
1) I doubt they will care, but

2) Asking you to retake SCREAMS TTT. What school are you attending brah?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 pm

yeah dude the school just wants your chedda. they dont care

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm

The school is not a TTT, anymore.

I will message you the name, but irregardless I think it is the best fit for me and my family. That said, with my current scholarship offer (that has no stipulation), and my GI Bill, the total cost is only going to be $12k for all three years, so i feel comfortable with that too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Steve2207 wrote:The school is not a TTT, anymore.

I will message you the name, but irregardless I think it is the best fit for me and my family. That said, with my current scholarship offer (that has no stipulation), and my GI Bill, the total cost is only going to be $12k for all three years, so i feel comfortable with that too.
no bueno dude

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:32 pm

stillwater wrote:

no bueno dude
I think it’s good for me, and what my plans are. I did not ‘settle” for this school. I had other offers from schools that were higher ranked , but I really feel like this school is the best pick for me, what I want for my family, and what I expect out of my career.

To each their own...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:I plan to call them, but I want to wait and see what the final grade comes out to. I think this douchebag teacher may decide to apply a curve to his grades; I have the second highest grade in the class at a 66%, and I am thinking that failing every student in the class may raise some eyebrows.
1) How do you know you are the second highest at 66%

2) How do you know 66% = D?
I know I am the second highest because he gave me my grade on a piece of paper and it included my class rank. Also, the syllabus list any grade between 60% and 69% as a D.

To add to my concern, my GPA has already dropped since I sent my applications out. I went from a 3.58 to a 3.52 at the end of last semester. I didn’t realize I was supposed to update it.

If true, who is the jackass professor you took this class from? Unless there were two of you in the class total and you both completely blew it off (and then some), I would report this motherfucker prof.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:08 pm

[quote="If true, who is the jackass professor you took this class from? Unless there were two of you in the class total and you both completely blew it off (and then some), I would report this motherfucker prof.[/quote]

There were 37 students total. I really feel sorry for most of them because they are freshman, and this undoubtedly hurt their pride and their confidence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

Don't draw any attention to it. You said you are still at good standing with your university, so keep quiet and send them your transcript when they ask for it. Unless you get some sort of dean reprimand, where you get put on academic probation or explicitly sanctioned stop worrying! At my undergrad if you get below a C- you got a dean's warning, which allowed you to be in a good standing, but essentially said don't screw up again. If you got a second poor grade then you got a dean's reprimand, but you haven't been reprimanded by the dean so you are still in good standing!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri May 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
stillwater wrote:

no bueno dude
I think it’s good for me, and what my plans are. I did not ‘settle” for this school. I had other offers from schools that were higher ranked , but I really feel like this school is the best pick for me, what I want for my family, and what I expect out of my career.

To each their own...
I think he was referring to your use of the "word" "irregardless".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”