Columbia, NYU, Penn with low GPA high LSAT.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RemainsOfTheDay

Re: Columbia, NYU, Penn with low GPA high LSAT.

Postby RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Can fall grades help admission if it's gets you from 3.3X to 3.4X? (e.g. 3.36 to 3.44)

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 am

Yes. If you are on the border of a schools decision, they will email you asking you to send your fall grades while they are reviewing your application. Showing continued strong upward grade trends can tilt the decision in your favor.

Edit: the main point will be continued strong academic performance, not necessarily the increase in GPA.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am

sinfiery wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Noodleyone

+/- your softs

Just in my experience and knowing other applicants, there seems to be a big difference in the way schools treat splitters with 3.5+ as opposed to GPA's below that threshold.

As far as money, UVA seems to like splitters a lot. NW is a possibility if you have WE (but it doesn't sound like you do). Cornell is another one. For any of the others, its a crapshoot.

You will probably get WL'ed by Penn.

RemainsOfTheDay

Postby RemainsOfTheDay » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 pm

I'll definitely keep my grades up. And I'll look more into UVa and Cornell!

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Unless I am missing something, the talk here is too pessimistic. I see no reason the OP is not in at all of CCN.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Just in my experience and knowing other applicants, there seems to be a big difference in the way schools treat splitters with 3.5+ as opposed to GPA's below that threshold.

That is going to change...

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:16 pm

bouleversement wrote:Unless I am missing something, the talk here is too pessimistic. I see no reason the OP is not in at all of CCN.

You necro a 6 month old thread, to speculate that a below median gpa is a lock at all three of ccn, two of which are splitter unfriendly?

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Clearly wrote:
bouleversement wrote:Unless I am missing something, the talk here is too pessimistic. I see no reason the OP is not in at all of CCN.

You necro a 6 month old thread, to speculate that a below median gpa is a lock at all three of ccn, two of which are splitter unfriendly?

I see no issue with a necro if it has the possibility of helping someone. The thread seemed asinine even before the latest numbers started rolling in and I couldn’t in good conscience leave the OP thinking (per her last post) of UVA and Cornell with a 179/3.3x. Granted Chicago is a stretch but CLS is probably better than a coin toss and NYU most certainly green. I see now I was missing something and some of the earlier posters were basically in agreement.

wowhio

Postby wowhio » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 am

Regarding you being "basically locked out of NYU"... I disagree.

Go to myLSN and just type your numbers in the automatic search. That turns up results of 71% being admitted to NYU...

Mostly goes to show the limits of myLSN but still. (Helloooooo sample size issues!)

But really, I think you should relax a little. You LSAT score is amazing and a 3.5 GPA is not the end of the world. I'm sure you'll get into some T-14s with your numbers, so just relax and focus on nailing your classes.

PS: Regarding the suggestion that you enroll in community college courses after graduating to boost your GPA... I was under the impression that LSAC doesn't include post-graduation grades in your GPA so check on that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”