A LITTLE HELP PLEASE!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ManOfTheMinute

Re: A LITTLE HELP PLEASE!

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Ok will someone just please answer the 1 question I got?

No. You're making a horrible life choice.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

No. You're making a horrible life choice.

Pro-tip: Read that in a voice that matches his avatar and the true importance of it sets in

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:21 am

spleenworship wrote:It will only matter in case of a tie. The two most important things about your application are: LSAT and GPA. Please, and I'm not saying this to be mean, either work on your LSAT or do not go to law school. Seriously, everyone in here is just trying to help.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:55 am

Danger Zone wrote:
spleenworship wrote:It will only matter in case of a tie. The two most important things about your application are: LSAT and GPA. Please, and I'm not saying this to be mean, either work on your LSAT or do not go to law school. Seriously, everyone in here is just trying to help.

Inorite?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:38 am

Sigh, looks like TLS will lose the battle for this guy's soul. I honestly don't understand how people willfully ignore dozens of people trying to help them (especially after asking for advice).
OP, try to take a second and imagine we're not all complete idiots and we might be responding to your post not to be assholes, but to honesty attempt to help you make a good decision that will effect the rest of your life.
You have not even begun studying for the LSAT, you have no idea the potential before you. When I started thinking about law school, I thought UC Davis was my dream school, luckily I found TLS, took the LSAT seriously, and explored employment info, or I might have made an extremely poor life choice.
Do yourself a favor and put your best foot forward in the LSAT, 200-300 hours of studying and at least 20 practice tests. See what your potential is, and there's a good chance with that gpa you'll be looking at $$$ from a t14.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:39 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Go for it. I think you can crack 150 by June.

I know several UM Law grads and they are doing quite well. You also can't beat the Miami lifestyle.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Lumieres wrote:

I know several UM Law grads and they are doing quite well. You also can't beat the Miami lifestyle.

Well this changes everything! OP, disregard what we said earlier, Miami is a great decision.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Lumieres wrote:

This is exactly why its such a bad choice. A ton of people go there for the "miami lifestyle" without due regard for job prospects.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Plan is to be USAF JAG then run for some sort of public office. But nobody is yet to answer my question. If Miami is as bad as you guys say it is.. I guess I got a pretty good shot?

Yes, yes you can get in with a 3.8! and a 150.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Scotchandsoda wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:Plan is to be USAF JAG then run for some sort of public office. But nobody is yet to answer my question. If Miami is as bad as you guys say it is.. I guess I got a pretty good shot?

Thanks. That's all I needed to know.. So since all of you hate Miami so much, what better option is there is South Florida? FIU maybe? St. Thomas and Nova are not on my list but will prob be safety schools for me. I need to stay in south fl since the wife is finishing up her MA at FIU and has just secured a very good job working in her field in the area.. Plus I'd like to stay close to home since I have lived in the area for as long as I've been around.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:10 pm

You have a 3.8? Keep retaking until Harvard accepts you.

I'm not joking.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:19 pm

lol thanks for that compliment but as I stated earlier, over a 155 on LSAT is just not going to happen. I live in a state where you have to pass a standardized exam in one of three attempts to pass high school. I never passed it. Had it not been for the ACT I would not have graduated from high school. Bottom line, I am the most terrible standardized test taker I know and I'm just trying to get over a 150 because I know that's the best I can do.. I know some of you have said to screw law school if I can't get a higher score but to those who say that, I say screw you

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm

ALeal90 wrote:lol thanks for that compliment but as I stated earlier, over a 155 on LSAT is just not going to happen. I live in a state where you have to pass a standardized exam in one of three attempts to pass high school. I never passed it. Had it not been for the ACT I would not have graduated from high school. Bottom line, I am the most terrible standardized test taker I know and I'm just trying to get over a 150 because I know that's the best I can do.. I know some of you have said to screw law school if I can't get a higher score but to those who say that, I say screw you

stop holding yourself back, bro.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Anyone can study the same material for months on end and take dozens of practice tests. Just do that until you get into the 170s. It's way easier than doing well your first year. What the fuck do you think your grade is based on in law school?

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:30 pm

ALeal90 wrote:lol thanks for that compliment but as I stated earlier, over a 155 on LSAT is just not going to happen. I live in a state where you have to pass a standardized exam in one of three attempts to pass high school. I never passed it. Had it not been for the ACT I would not have graduated from high school. Bottom line, I am the most terrible standardized test taker I know and I'm just trying to get over a 150 because I know that's the best I can do.. I know some of you have said to screw law school if I can't get a higher score but to those who say that, I say screw you

And you're basically screwing yourself...

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
Scotchandsoda wrote:

Thanks. That's all I needed to know.. So since all of you hate Miami so much, what better option is there is South Florida? FIU maybe? St. Thomas and Nova are not on my list but will prob be safety schools for me. I need to stay in south fl since the wife is finishing up her MA at FIU and has just secured a very good job working in her field in the area.. Plus I'd like to stay close to home since I have lived in the area for as long as I've been around.

Check your inbox.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:10 pm

If you want to stay in Miami, OP, then, so long as you know that you will have no job prospects north of Orlando by virtue of your degree, you can go to Miami and be an attorney in South Florida. I've seen it done.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm

also, you should devote nearly all of your remaining time to studying logic games, as they are the most learnable of the sections. Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Normally im really supportive on these threads,

BUT you are the most special snowflake in the whole wide world apparently -_-.

If you have honestly taken the test twice, and you havent even broke 150, then law school might not be for you.
If you consider UoM a good law school, think again. I dont care what you might think, but getting a job out of that school is hard for those in the top 20%, let alone those who end up at median.
With your GPA even a 160 will put you in contention for some schools that can give you a decent shot at a job, but you should be thinking realistically more 165+.
Fed jobs are pretty much non-existent, and they sure as hell wont go to the UoM grad with "connections".
If you honestly believe UoM is your dream school, than yea with your grades you'd prob make it, but why would you want too? Youre essentially shooting yourself in the head with that kind of a career path.

Go, bust your ass and retake the LSAT, make sure youre doing WELL on it before you take it again, if you cant break a 150 after that, law school isnt for you. However you might be better off getting an MPP, or a masters in education.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm

shit, rubio went to miami.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:25 pm

whereskyle wrote:shit, rubio went to miami.

So did Adalberto Jordan and half of Miami Biglaw. Most overpriced school in the state tho. I have a friend there who will be starting with McDemott making 160. Then again, outside of the top the class, no one can seem to find a any kind of job.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 pm

You do realize that both of your career goals of JAG and government are going to drag you and your wife well away from South Flordia?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Danger Zone wrote: What the fuck do you think your grade is based on in law school?

Yeah seriously. I like how op refuses to believe he can get better at tests in order to get into a good school, then magically thinks he'll do well on the tests IN school?
This really is a severe case of a special snowflake. Gl op, I mean that sincerely.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Smh op, smh

Maybe you'll be the one out of ten that isn't totally screwed by this decision.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”