A LITTLE HELP PLEASE! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: A LITTLE HELP PLEASE!

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Plan is to be USAF JAG then run for some sort of public office. But nobody is yet to answer my question. If Miami is as bad as you guys say it is.. I guess I got a pretty good shot?
You probably shouldn't waste the time and money going to law school.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:36 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Ok will someone just please answer the 1 question I got?
lawschoolnumbers.com

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:36 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Ok will someone just please answer the 1 question I got?
Lawschoolnumbers.com

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Plan is to be USAF JAG then run for some sort of public office. But nobody is yet to answer my question. If Miami is as bad as you guys say it is.. I guess I got a pretty good shot?
I think there is presently a two year waiting list, post graduation for JAGs because they over-hired pre-sequester. Why don't you just enlist and try for the Airman Scholarship and Commissioning Program?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 pm

A big reason why I want Miami is because they have an Air Force detachment right on their campus and they have a GLP program where you basically do Air Force ROTC while in Law School (During your 2L and 3L). You are considered a 2nd LT off duty until you graduate and then become a captain. In a sense, GLP feeds directly into JAG because you are hired after your 1L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm

ALeal90 wrote:A big reason why I want Miami is because they have an Air Force detachment right on their campus and they have a GLP program where you basically do Air Force ROTC while in Law School (During your 2L and 3L). You are considered a 2nd LT off duty until you graduate and then become a captain. In a sense, GLP feeds directly into JAG because you are hired after your 1L
Thats not how the AF's Graduate Legal Program works at all. It's not like those idiots you see in undergrad wearing uniforms in class and being all moto. There is no commitment during the school year, so the location of the school is wholly irrelevant to being in the program. Miami will give you no edge whatsoever, and will be to your detriment. There is no group of people as much of a prestige whore and as dependent on the old boys network as military officers, especially the ones in the blue suits.

Maybe you need to walk your way over to here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=31543

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Moto?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Again, will some please just answer this question: can I get into Miami with a 150+ given my credentials mentioned in the original post?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Again, will some please just answer this question: can I get into Miami with a 150+ given my credentials mentioned in the original post?

answering would be a disservice to you and the preftige of these here boards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Again, will some please just answer this question: can I get into Miami with a 150+ given my credentials mentioned in the original post?
rad lulz wrote: Lawschoolnumbers.com

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
Thats not how the AF's Graduate Legal Program works at all. It's not like those idiots you see in undergrad wearing uniforms in class and being all moto. There is no commitment during the school year, so the location of the school is wholly irrelevant to being in the program. Miami will give you no edge whatsoever, and will be to your detriment. There is no group of people as much of a prestige whore and as dependent on the old boys network as military officers, especially the ones in the blue suits.

Maybe you need to walk your way over to here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=31543
If I remember correctly, to apply for that program with the Air Force, you have to attend a school (pretty sure most schools do) that has a ROTC attachment. I plan on applying for that program, so I've done quite a bit of research; correct me if I'm wrong.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:Moto?
Stands for "motivated," commonly called a Mo-tard

Example:

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:06 pm

slawww wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

If I remember correctly, to apply for that program with the Air Force, you have to attend a school (pretty sure most schools do) that has a ROTC attachment. I plan on applying for that program, so I've done quite a bit of research; correct me if I'm wrong.

There are a bunch of people under contract at my law school which DEFINITELY does not have a ROTC detachment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 pm

http://mylsn.info will tell you what you need to know. 3.8 UG GPA, lets assume worst case a 3.4 LSAC GPA. With that said, you stand a roughly 50% chance of getting in with those numbers (<153 LSAT). This could vary if you have URM status. However, it doesn't sound like you have put a lot of though into this if you plan to use your law degree to be a JAG and then transition to politics. I can't imagine the salary would be nearly enough to cover the student loan payments. If you plan to get into politics, there are plenty of masters degree programs that are better for that than a law degree (Probably cheaper as well). Don't spend 100k+ on tuition with the goal in mind to get a $45k/year job. If anything, strive to do well on the LSAT and get scholly $$$. This way your $45k/yr JAG salary will go further.

Do NOT take the LSAT in June if you haven't put in the effort to prep. There is no difference taking the LSAT in June or October for next cycle, especially for Miami. Spend June, July, August, September prepping. A 150 is a lock for Cooley, FWIW. If you plan to be a JAG, I'm sure a Cooley degree would suffice.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:http://mylsn.info will tell you what you need to know. 3.8 UG GPA, lets assume worst case a 3.4 LSAC GPA. With that said, you stand a roughly 50% chance of getting in with those numbers (<153 LSAT). This could vary if you have URM status. However, it doesn't sound like you have put a lot of though into this if you plan to use your law degree to be a JAG and then transition to politics. I can't imagine the salary would be nearly enough to cover the student loan payments. If you plan to get into politics, there are plenty of masters degree programs that are better for that than a law degree (Probably cheaper as well). Don't spend 100k+ on tuition with the goal in mind to get a $45k/year job. If anything, strive to do well on the LSAT and get scholly $$$. This way your $45k/yr JAG salary will go further.

Do NOT take the LSAT in June if you haven't put in the effort to prep. There is no difference taking the LSAT in June or October for next cycle, especially for Miami. Spend June, July, August, September prepping. A 150 is a lock for Cooley, FWIW. If you plan to be a JAG, I'm sure a Cooley degree would suffice.
Thanks for the response and as far as I am concerned, I do have URM status as both of my parents immigrated over here from Latin American countries. Furthermore, I would be the first member of my family to attend any type of graduate school. Also, the JAG Corps will assist in loan re-payment. If I remember correctly, one can be eligible for $65,000 after a few years of service and if after 10 years there is any student loan debt remaining, the federal government forgives it. I know Miami takes the highest LSAT score you have so if I am not satisfied with my score in June, I will re-take in October but I'd rather not. Thanks a lot, I appreciate the response.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:If you plan to be a JAG, I'm sure a Cooley degree would suffice.

4% acceptance rate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Well then, URM status is a different ballgame. Most hispanics are URM, so that will help you. However, you should consider other options for furthering your political career if you cannot crack 150 on the LSAT. The schools that let people in with a 150 LSAT aren't worth going to, even for free. In addition, I can't see how being a JAG would further your political career when it seems like you already have some pretty impressive credentials coming out of UG. You would probably better off looking into a Masters program at Miami (if it is indeed your dream school), and going that route. It sounds like you have laid a foundation for yourself and getting a law degree would probably set you back 3 years considering the momentum you have at the moment. An MPP program would probably be better for you.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Please, OP, please do not go to Law school if you cannot get above a 160 on the LSAT.

Furthermore, you are not URM for law school purposes.

Even worse.. Even in good years JAG does not take more than about 7% of applicants.

Study hard, retake, look at lawschoolnumbers and law school transparency, then go somewhere with a full scholly or in the T13. These are your best options.

Also, there's a good chance you are trolling us. You are aware, right, that only about half of last years graduating students got actual jobs right?

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
VegasLaw702 wrote:If you plan to be a JAG, I'm sure a Cooley degree would suffice.

4% acceptance rate.
LOL. OP's options will be limited with a 150 no matter what path he/she goes.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:29 pm

URM = black PR Mex NA for the purpose of law school admissions

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:31 pm

This is important, so I thought I'd mention it again:
spleenworship wrote:
Furthermore, you are not URM for law school purposes.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm

OP if u aren't willing to put in work on the LSAt then just join the AF via ROTC or OCS and get an MBA or something online and then go into politics.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

I understand that Latin ethnicity varies for URM status but being a mix of Nicaraguan and Cuban is something I can't change and I'm sure will help more than hurt

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 pm

ALeal90 wrote:I understand that Latin ethnicity varies for URM status but being a mix of Nicaraguan and Cuban is something I can't change and I'm sure will help more than hurt
No.
It will only matter in case of a tie. The two most important things about your application are: LSAT and GPA. Please, and I'm not saying this to be mean, either work on your LSAT or do not go to law school. Seriously, everyone in here is just trying to help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”