Do diversity standards change with a school's prestige?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Uncle Ruslan

Do diversity standards change with a school's prestige?

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 pm

-
Last edited by Uncle Ruslan on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Re: Do diversity standards change with a school's prestige?

Postby nickb285 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Uncle Ruslan wrote:Do non-URMs in normal barely-middle-class circumstances provide diversity statements to the more prestigious schools? Does it work? Either way, it seems tacky and desperate to me, so this post is driven by curiosity, not a search for advice.

No. Being working class is not "diverse." Crushing poverty, maybe, but even then parental income doesn't get reported to LSAC so it doesn't matter nearly as much as URM status. If you were the first in your family to attend college, that would at least make a good PS if not a diversity statement, but your parents being the first to go to college because your grandparents worked in factories makes you the same as probably 50-75% of the country.

Uncle Ruslan

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

your parents being the first to go to college because your grandparents worked in factories makes you the same as probably 50-75% of the country.

Right, that's what I thought - this restores a small percentage of my faith in law students. This dean (of a relatively known school out west) was a bit tipsy, but my mind was blown when I heard her say that. She also told me all about environmental law and how a good proportion of her students choose "fun analytical jobs" for the FBI and other agencies.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Sure, HYS will have more old money than a lot of places, but a normal working/middle class upbringing is not a particularly unusual circumstance even there. I'm curious what she said about environmental law. The boomer "versatile degree" meme is pretty standard though.

Uncle Ruslan

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:40 pm

-

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”