0L's: Do you "Grade Grub" in College?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scifiguy

0L's: Do you "Grade Grub" in College?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 am

Given the importance of undergraduate grades, I thought it might be interesting to ask about this.

I know the term is sometimes used pejoratively, but curious as to how many of you "grade grub" in your classes, how you go about doing it (privately? if others are around?....does it influence your reputation with peers?), any lines you draw, etc. etc.??

bizzybone1313

Re: 0L's: Do you "Grade Grub" in College?

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 am

Grade grub? Define.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:26 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Grade grub? Define.

I guess it seems like people defining it has angling, haggling, begging, etc. for a higher grade or extra points for a something.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 am

I mean...there are legitimate cases where a professor may have unfairly graded/penalized you and I think it woujld not be sleazy or impolite to ask him/her about it.

But then there are some grey areas sometimes ...and also outright trying to "steal" some extra points. Some students students seem to consistently chat with the professor about tehir grades.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

During my freshman year, I probably got an extra A or two, because I spent so much time going to office hours. After that, I don't remember doing it much. I still get pissed off over the classes where I missed A's over a few points. I think most of us had no idea how much law schools were number whores. If only we could go back in time.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

Ruxin1 wrote:Please stop making threads.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:43 am

ImNoScar wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

eric922

Postby eric922 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:45 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:46 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:During my freshman year, I probably got an extra A or two, because I spent so much time going to office hours. After that, I don't remember doing it much. I still get pissed off over the classes where I missed A's over a few points. I think most of us had no idea how much law schools were number whores. If only we could go back in time.

Freshmen year I was too intimidated by professor to even think about asking for a higher grade or question them. I just accepted my grades and moved on. ....didn't really think about how important they were until later as well.

By second year, I had an idea that we could challenge or ask professors about our grades.

I guess right now I might be considered a "grade grubber" by some. I don't do it just to do it, however. I do it when I feel there's a reasonable case for why I should have gotten higher points or not been penalized.

I notice that in one of my classes it's the same students over and over and over asking the prof. for grade re-evaluations though. I think some may be pre-med/pre-law (not sure).

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 am

scifiguy wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:During my freshman year, I probably got an extra A or two, because I spent so much time going to office hours. After that, I don't remember doing it much. I still get pissed off over the classes where I missed A's over a few points. I think most of us had no idea how much law schools were number whores. If only we could go back in time.

Freshmen year I was too intimidated by professor to even think about asking for a higher grade or question them. I just accepted my grades and moved on. ....didn't really think about how important they were until later as well.

By second year, I had an idea that we could challenge or ask professors about our grades.

I guess right now I might be considered a "grade grubber" by some. I don't do it just to do it, however. I do it when I feel there's a reasonable case for why I should have gotten higher points or not been penalized.

I notice that in one of my classes it's the same students over and over and over asking the prof. for grade re-evaluations though. I think some may be pre-med/pre-law (not sure).

You and bizzy should become bff's

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am

Anybody who brown noses profs to get better grades should chop their own balls off or the equivalent for people without male sex organs.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:59 am

Tom Joad wrote:Anybody who brown noses profs to get better grades should chop their own balls off or the equivalent for people without male sex organs.

This is only one species of grade grubbing. Usually, the more common type is not that of a brown noser, but a pesky type of person, who tries to argue any points lost they feel they have a puncher's chance of recovering.

I probably come close to this type, but don't cross the line. But I've been rethinking this lately and may change my views/approach possibly.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:06 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

lawschoolwoohoo

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

scifiguy wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Anybody who brown noses profs to get better grades should chop their own balls off or the equivalent for people without male sex organs.

This is only one species of grade grubbing. Usually, the more common type is not that of a brown noser, but a pesky type of person, who tries to argue any points lost they feel they have a puncher's chance of recovering.

I probably come close to this type, but don't cross the line. But I've been rethinking this lately and may change my views/approach possibly.

Good luck with recs if you do this. Professors are people too. If you can say you come close to the line, you probably already crossed it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:49 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:01 pm

if you're talking about campaigning a professor for an adjustment of a grade or an increase of your grade, no.

BUT, as an 0L who had a not so hot freshmen year and worked to keep a 4.0 for the last three, i can admit that i obsessed over grades virtually the whole time. i knew going into the situation that the A's were all that ever mattered for my goal (law school).

i basically always have little pieces of paper/notepads hanging around with notes, this assignment is due here, have to complete this homework there, write this paper tuesday, etc. i simply stayed "on top" of all the little things you have to do in college to get the full grade. i've been very successful and in a small handful of cases i contribute some of that to luck. but i attend virtually all classes, take notes, schedule studying time, and complete every assignment and bonus opportunity. no B's since ~2010.

but only once maybe or twice have i gotten a grade i didn't deserve, for whatever reason. probably just this semester in fact, i have a generous foreign language professor who is going to help me out regardless of how i do. other than that, i've never really done the appeal for a higher grade thing.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Br3v wrote:Image

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Br3v wrote:

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:37 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 pm

hibiki wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
hibiki wrote:

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I find it unsurprising that bizzybone was the only one to give a serious response to a scifiguy thread.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:22 pm

stillwater wrote:I find it unsurprising that bizzybone was the only one to give a serious response to a scifiguy thread.

There isn't anything dumb about his thread. Most undergrads don't know how much of a difference a 3.5 vs. a 3.8 would make for law school admissions. I would kill to go back to my undergrad days and make my 3.7 to a 3.9. This thread could have served a useful purpose for future users. But instead, all you guys can say is it is the dumbest thread ever created in the history of TLS and not post anything substantive.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”