Retake and Second undergrad, or Masters?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WichitaShocker

Retake and Second undergrad, or Masters?

Postby WichitaShocker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:43 pm

I have a 3.2 UGPA and a 156 LSAT. I applied really late this cycle (May), so I am going to take 2 years off (Wait for my Fiancee to finish Grad school) and try again. I will be retaking next June, and I feel as if I can get into the 160s, but during this time off I'd also like to help my GPA. Is it best to get another Bachelors to increase my UGPA, or to go for a Masters?

Thank you for the advice, and I am happy to give more info if needed.

dr123

Re: Retake and Second undergrad, or Masters?

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:44 pm

C. get a job.

a second masters aint gonna do shit for your LSAC GPA.

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:46 pm

dr123 wrote:C. get a job.

a second masters aint gonna do shit for your LSAC GPA.

I am sorry, I should have added this. I am currently working full time at a law firm, and will continue to do so.

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Also, if you have already completed your first bachelor's, then your LSAC GPA is locked. Completing another one won't change that.

I vote for getting a job.

ETA: I see you're working at a firm. Unclear if that's full-time. If not, get a full-time job for a couple years until your fiance is done

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:55 pm

hohenheim wrote:Also, if you have already completed your first bachelor's, then your LSAC GPA is locked. Completing another one won't change that.

ETA: I see you're working at a firm. Unclear if that's full-time. If not, get a full-time job for a couple years until your fiance is done

Thank you for this post. I did not know that my LSAC GPA would lock after I finish this undergrad. Also, the job is full-time.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:36 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
hohenheim wrote:Also, if you have already completed your first bachelor's, then your LSAC GPA is locked. Completing another one won't change that.

Thank you for this post. I did not know that my LSAC GPA would lock after I finish this undergrad. Also, the job is full-time.

The wording of this makes it seem like you haven't gotten your degree yet. If that's true then I highly recommend you delay graduation and take courses to boost your GPA.

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 pm

eric922 wrote:
WichitaShocker wrote:

The wording of this makes it seem like you haven't gotten your degree yet. If that's true then I highly recommend you delay graduation and take courses to boost your GPA.

I graduate in 18 days...

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Sup bro, Shocker alum here.

Where you wanting to go?

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Talk to someone to see if you can back out of officially graduating in 18 days. If at all possible, do not officially graduate and take courses to up that GPA.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Wormfather wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:Talk to someone to see if you can back out of officially graduating in 18 days. If at all possible, do not officially graduate and take courses to up that GPA.

This. Withdraw your application for graduation. Do this TOMORROW!!!! RIGHT NOW, EMAIL AN ADVISOR

You're taking time off anyway, so you can pound 10-15 credits a year for the next couple of years and end up with a nice .3+ bump to that GPA.

ETA: that is a big choice to make though, if you are dead set on taking time and not graduating then do it. But if you haven't given this serious thought then don't make a drastic choice.

lolfranks51

Postby lolfranks51 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Br3v wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:Talk to someone to see if you can back out of officially graduating in 18 days. If at all possible, do not officially graduate and take courses to up that GPA.

This. Withdraw your application for graduation. Do this TOMORROW!!!! RIGHT NOW, EMAIL AN ADVISOR

You're taking time off anyway, so you can pound 10-15 credits a year for the next couple of years and end up with a nice .3+ bump to that GPA.

ETA: that is a big choice to make though, if you are dead set on taking time and not graduating then do it. But if you haven't given this serious thought then don't make a drastic choice.

It's hilarious how this numbers game works... but yea, don't graduate. Just keep taking classes and boost that shit...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”