Requiem for a 0L: A Cold Feet Post

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
born4law

Requiem for a 0L: A Cold Feet Post

Postby born4law » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm an incoming T14 student with a lot of trepidation about law school. As it fast approaches, I can't help but question everything that's led me here.

I've always been passionate about tech startups since I was a kid. Out of fear and laziness, I avoided learning STEM knowledge throughout high school, college, and afterward, and now that I'm about to start law school, I'm beginning to question: would I still be going to law school had I sat my ass down years ago and taken math and science more seriously?

I've also realized now that my prior reasons for wanting to go to law school were childish and ill-informed. I just wanted to move to a new city, keep going to school for the sake of learning, prestige, networking, and so on.

Since then I've realized that those were just the fantasies of a 22 year old who simply didn't know any better. I hadn't taken those truly tough classes, spent the extra hours in the library, and sometimes sacrificed high grades for learning something of value. All those reasons to want to go to law school were the wrong reasons. Now that I've come upon the right reasons to attend, I'm questioning, "Do I really want to attend? Is this what's good for me?"

After visiting so many schools across the country, talking with the students, browsing TLS, reading the doom-and-gloom articles and books, I've gained a full understanding of what the degree and the profession entail. Law school isn't grad school. You don't learn the fundamental truths of some important topic, conducting research and giving talks and teaching others. You're ascending into a vocation, a trade. You're going to service clients, often on very hard timetables that are so demanding of all your time and energy that your personal life will suffer as well.

I'm wondering if I could parlay the opportunity of a top law school into a passion for tech startups, learning about private equity finance and venture transactions, advising entrepreneurial clients, etc. It sounds so good on paper, but is it really? I don't want to make these serious decisions simply because I'm trying to keep some coherent narrative to my life. My aim isn't to satisfy the kid version of myself.

I've lately spent so much time thinking about somehow getting a second bachelors in computer science, or taking the pre-requisites at a community college and getting into a Masters program. I'm also looking into a few post-bac type programs offered at NYU, Penn, and BU that aim to fast-track non-BS students into graduate computer science programs. I'm always wondering... what happens if I leave my love for tech and startups behind forever, locked behind the iron bolt of a legal education. I've been out of school long enough to know that... there are no rules. I could walk away from this law school thing right here, right now. I don't have to do this. I just don't want to make the wrong choice by abandoning the legal route to tech startups, if such a thing is sure to exist in the first place.

Just wanted to put this out there. If you've ever felt this way and want to commiserate, chime in. If you have any advice or words of wisdom, likewise let your voice be heard.
Last edited by born4law on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.

bizzybone1313

Re: Requiem for a 0L: The Ultimate Cold Feet Post

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

This a good post. I know what you mean. I feel you 100%.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:This a good post. I know what you mean. I feel you 100%.

If your not ready for law school don't invest thousands, and three years of your life into it.

I get your just 25, but life is never going to tell you if your making the right choices. You have to plan your best, put yourself in what you see as the best positions, and let it ride.

banana$$stand

Postby banana$$stand » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Deep breh. Kidding.

No one cares if you do this or that or the other thing.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 pm

banana$$stand wrote:Deep breh. Kidding.

No one cares if you do this or that or the other thing.

OP I get your trepidation. We are all young making big choices, my point though is that your not going to find an answer as to what will end up best for you on this website, or anywhere. The future is just that, and you can only set yourself up in the way you see best presently.

Reflect, make a damn plus/delta chart if you need, and decide and don't look back.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Outed as Michigan, right? Are there any other T14s with summer starts?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Outed as Michigan, right? Are there any other T14s with summer starts?

It's either M or D

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Drink some brews and relax. You'll be fine.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm basically the 22 year old version of yourself.

I'm going to biglaw to pay off debt.
From there, ill try to lateral into a tech law gig/tech policy of some sorts or maybe even find a passion for law (I do enjoy arguing I guess) in the meantime.

If I hate it all, ill just pay off my loans and go get a STEM degree from HYSP with my new found preftige at 30.

basically, #YOLO

Edit: fucking lol at your username

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 pm

http://devbootcamp.com/

Just saved you $200,000, brah. You are welcome.

born4law

Postby born4law » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Br3v wrote:You have to plan your best, put yourself in what you see as the best positions, and let it ride.

Thank you Br3v. You seem to be speaking from some position of age and wisdom. It's good to hear. Speaking of which, I think what I could really use is some kind of older mentor who's a Silicon Valley exec right now. I have some mentors already, but they're very traditional professional career types who don't know much outside of "school, school, school." Someone with some real wisdom that could say, "You can definitely turn the law school thing into a plus for you," or "Trust me. Everyone in the Valley wants the lawyers outside the room. They just paper the deal. Don't do it." Must. Network. More.

Br3v wrote:It's either M or D

Yes. Take your pick, doesn't matter.

sinfiery wrote:I'm basically the 22 year old version of yourself.

I'm going to biglaw to pay off debt.
From there, ill try to lateral into a tech law gig/tech policy of some sorts or maybe even find a passion for law (I do enjoy arguing I guess) in the meantime.

If I hate it all, ill just pay off my loans and go get a STEM degree from HYSP with my new found preftige at 30.

basically, #YOLO

Good to hear (I guess?), this is exactly why I wrote this post. I knew there'd be more people who felt like this. I gotta ask though: how do you plan on getting that STEM degree? Do you have a BS already? If you said you're like me, then you don't. You need to put a lot of stock into how you'd pull off your Plan B at age 30. Also keep in mind: you may have a family by then (or just starting to get one) which imposes further constraints on career changes like that. But honestly... all the power to you.

Tom Joad wrote:http://devbootcamp.com/

Just saved you $200,000, brah. You are welcome.

I know about DBC and Hacker School and all the rest. I've also taken the CodeAcademy JavaScript track and liked it. What am I supposed to do? Defer law school and take one of these boot camps? I'm already 25 for crying out loud...

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Starting law school in a month and still doesn't know how to give a TL;DR.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 pm

What is the tl dr

born4law

Postby born4law » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:00 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Starting law school in a month and still doesn't know how to give a TL;DR.

Saw that coming. What did you want to see instead?

"Confused about LS. Want to jump into tech. M or D at $70k vs. fast-track into EECS Masters. No prior BS degree. Vote now!"

By putting it all out there, I wanted to offer others the chance to relate or feel inspired by my path and thought process. But honestly, shouldn't have expected too different of a response on TLS... snarksters!

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:04 pm

There used to be funny mean things here, but I felt bad for the kid. Don't go.
Last edited by smaug_ on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:06 pm

born4law wrote:Good to hear (I guess?), this is exactly why I wrote this post. I knew there'd be more people who felt like this. I gotta ask though: how do you plan on getting that STEM degree? Do you have a BS already? If you said you're like me, then you don't. You need to put a lot of stock into how you'd pull off your Plan B at age 30. Also keep in mind: you may have a family by then (or just starting to get one) which imposes further constraints on career changes like that. But honestly...all the power to you

Nope, finance major.

Apply to a college and attend, even at age 30. Unless you have LS debt holding you back, is it really more complicated than that?
You can most likely do it part time online by the next 8 years anyways.

Best way to alleviate all your but what if it's too late fears: Just look at Lawschool. Its a professional school but you always have older people attending. It's never too late to find a new path. Be it a STEM career or a law career.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:What is the tl dr

From my skimming it seemed to be:

I'm supposed to go to lawl school but now I don't know if I should

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 pm

OP is "disillusioned" with the idea of law school, and by "disillusioned" I mean still has masturbatory fantasies about PREFTIGE, connections, educated women, and his long term outcomes from lawl school.

Also, he really likes tech startups but was afraid of getting a STEM degree, so he's going to get a law degree because…tech…law…connections…hell if I understand. I'm not really sure why he thinks a law degree will help him.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:15 pm

hibiki wrote:

OP is "disillusioned" with the idea of law school, and by "disillusioned" I mean still has masturbatory fantasies about PREFTIGE, connections, educated women, and his long term outcomes from lawl school.

Also, he really likes tech startups but was afraid of getting a STEM degree, so he's going to get a law degree because…tech…law…connections…hell if I understand. I'm not really sure why he thinks a law degree will help him.

LOL I missed the educated women in my first skim through. Good catch.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:18 pm

OP, I think we have some different life philosophies, but this is basically my situation. I did a lot of drinking and Netflix-watching and hookah smoking throughout undergrad, took fun classes in literature and poetry, and though I had a great time, I really regret how it turned out. Part of why I want to go to law school is to have another crack at it. I recognize that this is a bad reason to go to law school, and I hope you recognize that your reasons are no better :)

Similar enthusiast background re:coding, startups, etc., though my passion is more indie games than the business side. Similar prestigious undergrad. Similar time out of school, though my waiting was more about figuring out what I wanted to do than struggling with the LSAT.

I don't know if I have much to contribute, other than, "I know those feels." I've also thought about Dev Bootcamp, but I didn't have any luck finding second-BS programs (that wouldn't leave me as much in debt as law school) - got links for those post-bacs? I'll probably deposit at CLS/NYU by the end of the week, but more options are better than less options.

To the others: I've taken shits on TTTThreads as much as anyone, but this OP seems pretty sincere (if a bit long-winded), and deserves more constructive advice than, "U R DUMB."

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

born4law

Postby born4law » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm

hibiki wrote:

hibiki: I appreciate the advice from your first reply. Straightforward and informative. This is more... cynical. You're being really sardonic. Those things are not my current fantasy of law school. They are the fantasies of a younger, uninformed immature version of myself that I've since grown out of. I say so in the OP but you skimmed past it so... whatever I can't blame you it was a longass post. But thanks for making a strawman out of that.

I'm sure many people share my thoughts. We've seen a few replies so far saying as much. I just wanted to put it out there for the good of this community. Don't make a mockery out of it. The advice you gave me is visible to countless others who come to TLS as K-JDers or otherwise without a clue what they're getting themselves into. I thought a more personal story full of detail would get a better conversation going. It has, kind of...
Last edited by born4law on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 pm

born4law wrote:
hibiki wrote:

hibiki: I appreciate the advice from your first reply. Straightforward and informative. This is more... cynical. You're being really sardonic. Those things are not my current fantasy of law school. They are the fantasies of a younger, uninformed immature version of myself that I've since grown out of. Thanks for making a strawman out of that. I'm sure many people have had these thoughts too. I just wanted to put it out there for the good of this community. Now the advice you gave me is visible to countless others who come to TLS as K-JDers and what not without a clue what they're getting themselves into.

so salty

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 pm

hibiki wrote:or people who have given up on dreams of being fulfilled.

I appreciated this.

Rahviveh

Re: Requiem for a 0L: A Cold Feet Post

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 pm

I would like to hear bizzybone's take on this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”