Is It Appropriate to Email Professors for LORs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
El Principe

Is It Appropriate to Email Professors for LORs?

Postby El Principe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm working on tracking down previous professors for LORs, and as far as I can see, there isn't an online directory for their classes, so it's going to be difficult to find them on campus... I was wondering, if I couldn't find them for whatever reason, would it be appropriate to email them (if I'm sure they remember me)?

Maybe I can look back on a syllabus and look for their offices, but if they moved offices or have different schedules, then I'd be in the same boat. Maybe contact the department? I don't know, I'm trying to get these cleared out & placed in LSAC A.S.A.P. I go to a big state school in one of the largest majors, so my average class sizes are huge, so sometimes, it's not easy to develop teacher relationships without giving off the aura of brown-nosing.

buddyt

Re: Is It Appropriate to Email Professors for LORs?

Postby buddyt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I think email is the standard way of getting in touch with professors for LORs. It allows them to get back to you on their own time. After that, if necessary, you can follow-up with a phone call or a meeting.

Postby 062914123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 pm

buddytyler wrote:I think email is the standard way of getting in touch with professors for LORs. It allows them to get back to you on their own time. After that, if necessary, you can follow-up with a phone call or a meeting.

Oh ok, thanks for reassuring me.

So I simple email saying you need "X" for "Y" blah blah blah and offer a writing sample if it's been like a year or so for one of the professors should suffice?

I'm slightly worried one of the professors may have forgotten me, especially since I've forgotten half of the people in that class & she taught like quite a few other writing classes at the time, but I remember she particularly liked my writing and used it as an example in class a few times, plus I talked with her before/after class a few times... so maybe that would jog her memory?

It's been about a year or so.

Postby 062914123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

E-mail is fine, and probably easier for the profs than talking to them face to face (although if you should choose to do that, you can also just contact the department, who will tell you where their offices are and when they have office hours).

I would avoid saying you "need" a LOR - make sure you ask if they'd be willing to write one (I'm sure that's what you meant, but just felt compelled to say it anyway). Offer a writing sample, resume, maybe your personal statement for LS, and to meet with them about your application if they'd find it helpful. (Some profs like to sit down with students about this stuff - most probably won't but they'll appreciate the offer.)

It is possible that a prof won't remember you enough to feel they knew you well enough to write a letter, but most of the time if you did well they'll be happy to get relevant info from you to make a stronger letter. (I do think profs remember students longer than you would remember other students in the class, if that makes sense - the prof got writing assignments etc. from all of them and gave them all grades, you just sat in the classroom with them.)

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:E-mail is fine, and probably easier for the profs than talking to them face to face (although if you should choose to do that, you can also just contact the department, who will tell you where their offices are and when they have office hours).

I would avoid saying you "need" a LOR - make sure you ask if they'd be willing to write one (I'm sure that's what you meant, but just felt compelled to say it anyway). Offer a writing sample, resume, maybe your personal statement for LS, and to meet with them about your application if they'd find it helpful. (Some profs like to sit down with students about this stuff - most probably won't but they'll appreciate the offer.)

It is possible that a prof won't remember you enough to feel they knew you well enough to write a letter, but most of the time if you did well they'll be happy to get relevant info from you to make a stronger letter. (I do think profs remember students longer than you would remember other students in the class, if that makes sense - the prof got writing assignments etc. from all of them and gave them all grades, you just sat in the classroom with them.)

Oh I know that... I just used "need" as shorthand, I would definitely use better wording :wink: ... thanks for the tips though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”