Work or LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johnnybruin

Work or LSAT

Postby johnnybruin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm graduating this June and will be going back home to study the LSAT (for October). I've started thumbing through some of the prepbooks and will hopefully get on actually PT's soon. I understand the importance of the LSAT, and so I'm asking this question.

Should I be looking for a full time position while prepping for the test? I already have some solid job experiences (during summer, etc.) and am not sure if the three months position before applying will do me any good as opposed to getting a higher score on the LSAT.

I know people have noted that it's possible to do both--as in, work and study--but I've found myself incredibly exhausted after a 8-5 job day.

Let me know what the best option for me would be in the coming months.

Thanks!!

Cobretti

Re: Work or LSAT

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 pm

The danger with this is if you wind up having to retake and reapply the following cycle, you suddenly have a 2 year resume gap. That can be a problem. Lots of people work full time while they study. Personally I studied while working full time and landed a 173. Take a few PTs and see where you stand, but you should be able to make significant gains over the next 5 months even if you work 40hrs/week.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm

5 months is too little of a time to study.

If you start studying now, plan on taking it December.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Got my 173 with 5 months of total studying. I'd also strongly recommend you take in Oct so you can retake for the same cycle in Dec if you need to. If you sit for the first time in Dec and underperform you're going to be tempted to apply with the bad LSAT instead of sitting out a cycle, and that is a terrible place to be.

Plus, applying in late Oct >> applying in Jan

Just start studying right now and you should be in a very good place to sit for Oct.

johnnybruin

Postby johnnybruin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 pm

@Cobretti

Thanks. Dr. Dre's recommendation was the first time I'd heard that my 5-month study plan is too short.

I will be signing up for both October and December--in case things go horribly wrong in Oct. Like you said, I'm hoping to get my applications out ASAP as opposed to waiting out until January.

Thanks.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:27 pm

I got a 179 on five months while working full-time an d taking a full course load and having a girlfriend. How badly do you all manage your time?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:37 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I got a 179 on five months while working full-time an d taking a full course load and having a girlfriend. How badly do you all manage your time?

it's just the case that you are very smart

can I ask you if you would recommend having sex whilst studying for the LSAT?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I got a 179 on five months while working full-time an d taking a full course load and having a girlfriend. How badly do you all manage your time?

If you can find a way to prop up the book without it getting in the way, I say go for it.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

If you can find a way to prop up the book without it getting in the way, I say go for it.

I think my worry is, that after sex, whether it be in the next hour or day, I would be too tired to fully benefit from my studying.

fluffythepenguin

Postby fluffythepenguin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:08 pm

3-6 months is the generally recommend prep time for the LSAT. The amount of time it takes isn't nearly as important as how many PTs you can do. If 3 months is long enough to knock out 20+ PTs as well as at least the Powerscore Bibles, then go ahead and take it in October.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

I think my worry is, that after sex, whether it be in the next hour or day, I would be too tired to fully benefit from my studying.

Lol@failedjustificationforyourabstinence

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Cobretti wrote:Lol@failedjustificationforyourabstinence

:?:

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Find something part time (20hrs/wk) while you study.

johnnybruin

Postby johnnybruin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 pm

@banjo

that is the ideal situation. frankly, it's difficult to find jobs so i've been looking at part time intern opportunities.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:35 am

Last edited by chadbrochill on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:09 am

trying to get full-time employment with only a B.A is horrendous.

And if you do end up getting one, it will probably be some shit job.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Get a job. You can study a few hours a day for 5 months and me more than adequately prepared.
Try this.... take a practice test right now, see how you score, unless you are abysmally terrible on it you don't need all day to study. A 40 hour a week job should not in any way prevent you from the level of study most people need to hit the 170s.
Edit- also you are going to seriously appreciate being able to have more than a year's worth of extra salary in the bank that you don't have to take out loans for that amount.

born4law

Postby born4law » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Honest answer: depends on how naturally you take to the LSAT.

I know people who have taken 6 months off to study for the LSAT full time and couldn't break a 160.

I know people who did the same and topped off at 165.

I know a few who studied for a month and scored 170+

Don't be swayed by people that say "5 months = 179" That's the case for only a tiny handful of people. It may or may not be your case either.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 pm

born4law wrote:
Don't be swayed by people that say "5 months = 179" That's the case for only a tiny handful of people.

Which is why I advocate 7 months at least

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 am

born4law wrote:Honest answer: depends on how naturally you take to the LSAT.

I know people who have taken 6 months off to study for the LSAT full time and couldn't break a 160.

I know people who did the same and topped off at 165.

I know a few who studied for a month and scored 170+

Don't be swayed by people that say "5 months = 179" That's the case for only a tiny handful of people. It may or may not be your case either.

I'm not saying that much time equals a 179. I'm not even saying it is ideal. However 5 months gives you plenty of time to go through numerous books and do 25+ pts with heavy drilling. Some people may need more and many may need less, but people grossly overestimate the commitment necessary to do well. You don't need to kill your social and work life. Find some balance.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
born4law wrote:
Don't be swayed by people that say "5 months = 179" That's the case for only a tiny handful of people.

Which is why I advocate 7 months at least

Huh? A minimum of seven months is a very extreme position. I always thought I was on the extreme side when I advocated for 3-5 months or longer, but I guess you have me beat.

Why on earth do you think 7 months should be a minimum? Do you think people should answer every LSAT question written 3-4 times before being ready to take the actual test?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I'm not saying that much time equals a 179. I'm not even saying it is ideal. However 5 months gives you plenty of time to go through numerous books and do 25+ pts with heavy drilling. Some people may need more and many may need less, but people grossly overestimate the commitment necessary to do well. You don't need to kill your social and work life. Find some balance.

+Infinity

I've found two things in my years of working in this business. First, after 6 months, you're going to run into severely diminishing returns, assuming you've been prepping correctly. Second, most people end up having to study for longer than they would otherwise because they drop everything else to study for the LSAT instead of finding balance. The students that still maintain a social life are the ones who see the quickest improvement because they're not miserable and depressed. Both of those things will negatively affect your studying much more than any natural limits to your intelligence.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”