Any downside to retaking LSAT in June?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Intrigue

Any downside to retaking LSAT in June?

Postby Intrigue » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 am

One of my biggest regrets has been not retaking the LSAT. I had practiced hard and scored consistently in the low-mid 170s on practice tests but sort of choked during the test and ended in the high 160s. I wasn't aware at the time, for one thing, how much of an impact LSAT can have on scholarships, so that's my only score.

As of now, I am planning to place a seat deposit at Chicago (in with $30K), but I'm suddenly tempted to take the June test. I am currently out of school and have the time to prepare, and I wonder whether I could improve my score significantly.

So I have two questions:

1. Is there any downside to retaking? e.g. If I didn't do as well, could it affect my existing offers?

2. Supposing I were to do well (say 173+), what advice would TLS have? It would be early July before I would know anything.

(If it's relevant to your answer, I have a 3.9x GPA and reasonably good softs, but nothing spectacular. Non URM).

Nova

Re: Any downside to retaking LSAT in June?

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 am

There is absolutely no downside to retaking the LSAT in June.

Almost everyone who has retakes left should do it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 am

North

Postby North » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 am

sublime wrote:I was also considering it. I am alright with my offers now. I scored 166 on my only attempt while PTing around a 166-170. I prepared seriously for like a month.

You're wasting your potential if that's true.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 am

Nova wrote:There is absolutely no downside to retaking the LSAT in June.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a somewhat related question.

Are there any downsides to this example? If I take it for the first time in June and then don't do as well as I thought. Then possibly retaking in October...but doing worse in October than I did in June. I'd be applying for the Fall of 2014 for the first time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, is TLS advice on retakes after you already apply and get accepted into some schools or would it not matter when in the application process you retake?

Thanks!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Bajam wrote:

Are there any downsides to this example? If I take it for the first time in June and then don't do as well as I thought. Then possibly retaking in October...but doing worse in October than I did in June. I'd be applying for the Fall of 2014 for the first time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, is TLS advice on retakes after you already apply and get accepted into some schools or would it not matter when in the application process you retake?

Thanks!

The advice is for anyone who thinks they can improve their score, no matter where they are in the application process.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Intrigue wrote:2. Supposing I were to do well (say 173+), what advice would TLS have? It would be early July before I would know anything.

(If it's relevant to your answer, I have a 3.9x GPA and reasonably good softs, but nothing spectacular. Non URM).

first deposit at the best option available ($600)
put down another one in early June ($300~500)
Ace the LSAT on June 10
Score comes out in July
If 3+ = eat the deposit money and reapply next cycle.
If +1~2 = negotiate for more scholly at the current school
If 0 or below = pretend nothing happened and go to school in August.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 pm

sublime wrote:
North wrote:
sublime wrote:I was also considering it. I am alright with my offers now. I scored 166 on my only attempt while PTing around a 166-170. I prepared seriously for like a month.

You're wasting your potential if that's true.

Yea, I am really conflicted about it, currently. I need to think really hard about it.

You don't need to think too hard about it. If you reached that level of performance after only one month of serious studying, it's the only reasonable decision.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Intrigue wrote:One of my biggest regrets has been not retaking the LSAT. I had practiced hard and scored consistently in the low-mid 170s on practice tests but sort of choked during the test and ended in the high 160s. I wasn't aware at the time, for one thing, how much of an impact LSAT can have on scholarships, so that's my only score.

As of now, I am planning to place a seat deposit at Chicago (in with $30K), but I'm suddenly tempted to take the June test. I am currently out of school and have the time to prepare, and I wonder whether I could improve my score significantly.

So I have two questions:

1. Is there any downside to retaking? e.g. If I didn't do as well, could it affect my existing offers?

2. Supposing I were to do well (say 173+), what advice would TLS have? It would be early July before I would know anything.

You are a shining example of somebody who would GREATLY benefit with a retake. In fact, I think it would be quite possibly the greatest mistake of your life if you don't retake. I fully advocate sitting out this cycle, retaking in OCTOBER, (with December as a backup 3rd attempt) after a solid 5-6 months of prep, nailing a 175+ and nabbing either HYS or a t6 full ride. Don't you think it's worth $150,000 + increased success in life?

You only prepped for ONE MONTH, during which time you saw consistent mid 170's scores (what was your last 10 PT average as of sitting for the LSAT?). This means theres a solid chance you could significantly increase your score. The promised land was right at your fingertips... how could you just let it slip through after one measly attempt? You scored below your average, you owe yourself a retake. Take this seriously man its a huge fucking deal....

1. There is 0 downside to retaking in June (they won't renege their offers or $$$... ROFL), but you may not have THAT much to gain unless you are prepared sit out the cycle (or at least threaten Chicago that you will, until they give you A LOT more money). We need more info...
- Where are you In/Out/WL at this point? WL at any of HYS? Are you a K-JD?
- Unless you have leverage on Chicago (other solid acceptances/willingness to sit out a year), the LSAT score increase likely won't do shit for you... so what's the point?

2. If you take it in June, you wont have your score until early JULY. Advice cannot be given until the above questions are answered (WL/other acceptances?).
- If I was you and scored 175+ (you should shoot for 175+... you have 2 more times to play the free lotto...with nothing to lose), I would SIT OUT THIS CYCLE and reapply in the fall as a 175+/3.9x piece of SOLID GOLD.
- Don't you wan't HYS? or a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to CCN? Come on.. you have to try, you're so very close. If you don't you'll regret it forever... You'll know you passed up HYS/a Free ride to pay near-sticker to Chicago.

Answer the questions and advice will be given, but you already know in your heart what you should do. You probably won't regret taking another year to bask in your post-college youth before you hop into the grinder. Actually, most people advocate doing this anyway. However, you most certainly WILL regret paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for something you knew you could quite easily have gotten for free if you only had the patience.

(edit for testimonial):
- my 1st score was a 167. 4 points below my average of 171 (3 months prep)
- 2nd score was a 170. 3 points below my new average of 173 (5 months prep)
- 3rd score was a 179. 3 points above my new average of 176 (8 months prep).

Because of my retakes, I have incredible options that I never would've had (multiplte T14$$). However, I only have a 3.4x. Imagine the possibilities man....

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Bajam wrote:

Thanks!

The advice is for anyone who thinks they can improve their score, no matter where they are in the application process.

Basically, the only reason someone shouldn't retake if they think they could do better, is the LSAC won't let them.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:28 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Bajam wrote:

Thanks!

Well reading from everyone else's responses it seems retakes are always a good thing...even with the possibility that you do worse. But would a worse score after/during the application process get notified to schools, which could then re evaluate any pending decisions (like decline admission, take away any scholarships that were offered, etc) upon seeing that you did worse the second/third/etc time around?

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Appreciate the advice. This is a challenging choice to make. I don't want to have regrets over my debt. But I also don't really want to sit out with no guarantee that I'll do significantly better. June seemed like a compromise because I can still have my feet in both lines; don't improve: continue at Chicago, do improve: leverage w. Chicago or sit out for better options. But of course, the downside to June is that it's only two months away, and I am not in "LSAT-mode" right now at all. I'll need to put some more thought into it though.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 am

Bajam wrote:
bp shinners wrote:The advice is for anyone who thinks they can improve their score, no matter where they are in the application process.

Well reading from everyone else's responses it seems retakes are always a good thing...even with the possibility that you do worse. But would a worse score after/during the application process get notified to schools, which could then re evaluate any pending decisions (like decline admission, take away any scholarships that were offered, etc) upon seeing that you did worse the second/third/etc time around?

That's why I said "thinks they can improve their score" - no point going through it if you're not going to study and you know you won't go up.

As to your question, schools won't reconsider an already-made decision. It might play into their decision process if they're still waiting to review your score, but almost every school will just look at the highest LSAT score anyway. They also won't strip you of your scholarship. They will, however, definitely get a report of the new score.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Bajam wrote:
bp shinners wrote:The advice is for anyone who thinks they can improve their score, no matter where they are in the application process.

That's why I said "thinks they can improve their score" - no point going through it if you're not going to study and you know you won't go up.

As to your question, schools won't reconsider an already-made decision. It might play into their decision process if they're still waiting to review your score, but almost every school will just look at the highest LSAT score anyway. They also won't strip you of your scholarship. They will, however, definitely get a report of the new score.

That clears up a bunch of stuff. Thanks!

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:05 pm

W/ a 3.9 and low-mid 170s you are looking at HYS or full tuition at Chicago.... Retake and if you have mid 170s negotiate for full tuition at Chicago. If they won't budge, I'd sit out a year.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 am

Good luck in june

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Intrigue wrote:One of my biggest regrets has been not retaking the LSAT. I had practiced hard and scored consistently in the low-mid 170s on practice tests but sort of choked during the test and ended in the high 160s. I wasn't aware at the time, for one thing, how much of an impact LSAT can have on scholarships, so that's my only score.

So I have two questions:

If you are in chicago with a 166 why even post?

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:35 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:

So I have two questions:

Sorry, I'm not inferring your meaning.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:

So I have two questions:

Try reading the post. You'll find that's helpful sometimes.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Intrigue wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:If you are in chicago with a 166 why even post?

Sorry, I'm not inferring your meaning.

Hes saying settle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”