Super K-JD. A Terrible New Program from USF/Stetson

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sublime

Super K-JD. A Terrible New Program from USF/Stetson

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:07 pm

twenty

Re: Super K-JD. A Terrible New Program from USF/Stetson

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm

alternatively, you could do a LL.B at a UK university followed with an LLM from a US school. You'd probably save upwards of 150k worth of debt and graduate in less time.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:15 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:alternatively, you could do a LL.B at a UK university followed with an LLM from a US school. You'd probably save upwards of 150k worth of debt and graduate in less time.

You can't practice in most states with just an LLM.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:alternatively, you could do a LL.B at a UK university followed with an LLM from a US school. You'd probably save upwards of 150k worth of debt and graduate in less time.

This

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:21 pm

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

The point being made here is that if you want to make infinitely poor life decisions because you can't bear the thought of being in school for 7 years, you could feasibly make a cheaper, faster mistake which would theoretically only require <5 years of school.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:07 pm

My UG has a similar program. To get in, to have to get a 60th percentile LSAT score and have a 3.5 GPA. I guess it's an easy way to guarantee yield.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 pm

sublime wrote:http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=5368&z=210

Basically, you do a combined Bachelors and JD in 6 years between South FLorida and Stetson. Stetson offers "partial funding." I have no idea why anyone would do this.

Or go to Stetson for that matter with really reasonable in state tuition from UF/FSU, but that is another discussion.

Btw, had no idea where this went so I just left it here.

This is potentially a good deal for someone locked into the area for whatever reason (family, etc). Most people who attend USF do so because they either didn't want to move away from home, or can't leave the area.

Stetson isn't a bad law school if the discount is large enough, you just need to have connections in t he tampa market, and the type of people who would do this 3+3 are either going to get a great deal (if they have local connections and are here because they are 'tied down') or make a terrible, life-wrecking decision (if they just didn't want to move away from home).

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 pm

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:45 am

sublime wrote:Yea, but most schools are not terrible if the discount is large enough. At sticker it still costs over double (19k to 39k) what the public schools cost in state. Getting it down to almost nothing would not be the worst thing ever if you only want to work in the Tampa area (and our shitty economy), but as you said, unless for some personal reason you can't leave, get almost a full ride, and want to work in Tampa it would not be terrible, but I feel like that is not going to be most of the people in this program.

Also, for anyone in state in the USF Honors college, that year saved in tuition would have been free from Bright futures.

And I went to USF, because I was a lazy 17 year old and they paid me to go and I did not get into UF 8)

You know, I'd have said the type of people this program is designed for would be closer to their 30s than K-JDers, but the honors college at any school is designed to grab incoming freshmen, not returning tor continuing students. That's also a good point about the bright futures--I thought the program had mostly been cut.

I can't think of anyone other than nepotistic hirees who would benefit from this program.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:51 am

Trying to grab them before they know any better.

Has anyone else been getting a lot of emails from TTT schools offering a two-year JD program?

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 am

sublime wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
sublime wrote:http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=5368&z=210

Basically, you do a combined Bachelors and JD in 6 years between South FLorida and Stetson. Stetson offers "partial funding." I have no idea why anyone would do this.

Or go to Stetson for that matter with really reasonable in state tuition from UF/FSU, but that is another discussion.

Btw, had no idea where this went so I just left it here.

This is potentially a good deal for someone locked into the area for whatever reason (family, etc). Most people who attend USF do so because they either didn't want to move away from home, or can't leave the area.

Stetson isn't a bad law school if the discount is large enough, you just need to have connections in t he tampa market, and the type of people who would do this 3+3 are either going to get a great deal (if they have local connections and are here because they are 'tied down') or make a terrible, life-wrecking decision (if they just didn't want to move away from home).

Yea, but most schools are not terrible if the discount is large enough. At sticker it still costs over double (19k to 39k) what the public schools cost in state. Getting it down to almost nothing would not be the worst thing ever if you only want to work in the Tampa area (and our shitty economy), but as you said, unless for some personal reason you can't leave, get almost a full ride, and want to work in Tampa it would not be terrible, but I feel like that is not going to be most of the people in this program.

Also, for anyone in state in the USF Honors college, that year saved in tuition would have been free from Bright futures.

And I went to USF, because I was a lazy 17 year old and they paid me to go and I did not get into UF 8)

Dont hate on Stetson man i'm headed there in the fall 8) . But i'm one of the don't want to leave Tampa crowd with a good discount to Stetson(plus going part-time). Also I choose USF over UF and FSU :D .

EDIT: However, I don't think this program is a very good idea lol for the reasons mentioned before haha.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”