Advised to retake/reapply? - success stories Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tariffs

New

Re: Advised to retake/reapply? - success stories

Post by Tariffs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 am

Love this thread, it helped keep me motivated through my entire LSAT prep. Adding my own story, sorry if it's a bit long-winded. While I haven't had to sit out a cycle as I'm currently finishing up undergrad, the moral is still the same:

I started studying for the December 2012 LSAT 2 months before it was administered with a Princeton Review study guide. I had always been good at standardized tests and figured I wouldn't need all that much prep to perform well and would even outperform my PTs on test day; 170+ seemed like it would be cake. The week before the test, I started to get a bit nervous about it: my highest PT had been a 163. Instead of making the smart decision to opt out and study more, I stubbornly went ahead with it so as to not disappoint my family/friends/girlfriend who knew I was supposed to take it that Saturday. Ended up with a 159.

After receiving my score, I immediately signed up for the June test; I knew from the get go that that score wouldn't be good enough for the schools I wanted to attend. Around March/April of 2013 I discovered TLS and its LSAT prep forum, and subsequently purchased the Bibles and Manhattan's LR guide. Though my prep felt more intense than the first time around, in retrospect it was still pretty half-assed. The two weeks leading up to the June 2013 LSAT I tried to cram by taking timed PTs every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and saw what felt like months of effort go to waste: I was only averaging a 166 (with a huge asterisk next to it) and was stressed and unbelievably frustrated. The day before the exam I was faced with the same decision I had to make several months before, but this time I chose to opt out and wait for the next administration of the LSAT.

The fallout wasn't pretty: my parents didn't understand why I would waste their money like that by cancelling my registration the day before the test, and they felt I was spoiled/ungrateful for their financial contributions to my education. I just had to grin and bear it while I began to implement my new study plan. After taking a week off, I purchased the Cambridge LR, LG, and RC books and started to grind out problem sets from each every single day. I would spend 5-6 hours a day just doing LSAT problem sets, including during my lunch break or during any down time I had at the internship I worked. After a month of that, I incorporated biweekly PTs into my regiment and would incessantly review the types of problems I got wrong by drilling them over and over again. By the end of the summer I was averaging just over a 170, with a few outlying scores of 175-177. Just over a year after I started studying for this damn test, and 11 months after my first bout with it, I saw this on my LSAC account's page:

My cycle's just getting started and I'm already in at three T-14s, an outcome that seemed unimaginable after I received my first LSAT score. As a URM, I want any other URMs who read this and are iffy about retaking to know that this test is conquerable, it just takes an incredible amount of time, effort, and motivation. This forum has the resources, for anyone who so chooses to utilize them, to help you achieve that coveted 17X score. Don't settle and hope your boost will be enough to propel you over the LSAT hurdle and into the T-14; retake.

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm

The LSAT is a learnable test. It is not a question of whether or not you lack some innate logic deducing abilities, but whether or not you have the willingness to drill an incredible amount of questions and most importantly, the self-awareness to see where your weaknesses are in your LSAT preparation and quickly correct them.
Last edited by Harry Belafonte on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm

These stories are all great, coming from someone who is currently considering his options and potentially re-applying next cycle. These stories all involve retaking the LSAT as someone with a decent GPA, however, for a super splitter like myself (~2.9, 172) I don't know if the same logic applies since it's really not my LSAT that's holding me back. I've taken it twice and the 5 point bump greatly improved my chances and I do believe I could probably improve again, but I don't know if it's worth it for me. The major difference, however, is the fact that my GPA is largely unrepresentative of my academic ability, something I addressed in my PS. I graduated in three years, spending my first year in Neuroscience before switching to Poli Sci due to hating it. My first semester in Poli Sci, however, I suffered a heart attack right before finals which obviously severely impacted my grades over the next 2-3 semesters as I recovered (while still taking a full course load and working at a major accounting firm on the side).

Thing is, I only got the 172 after retaking this past February. I have had some pretty good results, but my earliest application was sent in early February, so I really didn't give myself much time for schools' consideration. I'm wondering if it's worth sitting out and re-applying with a full cycle of the 172. Any thoughts or stories from people who reapplied without retaking?

$alty

New

Post by $alty » Wed May 07, 2014 7:40 pm

wanted to drop in here to share a quick note (please don't quote)

had a 3.8 and high 160s. i knew i had a solid shot at T14s with some $, but tls reiterated the value of a few points. i retook to 174+ and will be attending a HYS this fall (also had good offers from CCN).

just a reminder that there are very few scenarios that should not lead to a retake.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 am

Originally got a 162, and was looking at an (almost) full ride at University of Baltimore with nasty stips.

Retook, got a 168, was then looking at Alabama full-ride or GW off the waitlist with $$.

Sat out two more years to save up some $$, get more WE, and decide if I really wanted to go to law school. Going to GULC this fall with $$.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu May 08, 2014 11:55 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:Originally got a 162, and was looking at an (almost) full ride at University of Baltimore with nasty stips.

Retook, got a 168, was then looking at Alabama full-ride or GW off the waitlist with $$.

Sat out two more years to save up some $$, get more WE, and decide if I really wanted to go to law school. Going to GULC this fall with $$.
Nice.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Bump. Took the LSAT three times and my score increased from the 160s to 170s. Went from UVA with no money to Penn with $$$.

So glad I found TLS. This site has saved me thousands of dollars. Retake.

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:50 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:Bump. Took the LSAT three times and my score increased from the 160s to 170s. Went from UVA with no money to Penn with $$$.

So glad I found TLS. This site has saved me thousands of dollars. Retake.
Conniving

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Didn't reapply but I did take the LSAT 3 times this cycle. First take was a 163, same as my diagnostic. Studied a few more months, went in pumped and walked out with a 164 (PTs in low 170s). I didn't think I had it in me to take it again and was debating applying as was, but buckled down and focused on drilling my weaknesses before my final take. Pulled a 177. Will be accepting Hs offer this week (awesome need grant so I couldn't be happier).

Please retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:39 pm

mujiali wrote:Didn't reapply but I did take the LSAT 3 times this cycle. First take was a 163, same as my diagnostic. Studied a few more months, went in pumped and walked out with a 164 (PTs in low 170s). I didn't think I had it in me to take it again and was debating applying as was, but buckled down and focused on drilling my weaknesses before my final take. Pulled a 177. Will be accepting Hs offer this week (awesome need grant so I couldn't be happier).

Please retake.
Congratulations! This may be one of the most inspiring stories ITT.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:03 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
mujiali wrote:Didn't reapply but I did take the LSAT 3 times this cycle. First take was a 163, same as my diagnostic. Studied a few more months, went in pumped and walked out with a 164 (PTs in low 170s). I didn't think I had it in me to take it again and was debating applying as was, but buckled down and focused on drilling my weaknesses before my final take. Pulled a 177. Will be accepting Hs offer this week (awesome need grant so I couldn't be happier).

Please retake.
General TLS cynicism makes me question the sincerity of this. But gonna go with it and say thanks. Hahaha

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:32 pm

mujiali wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:

Please retake.
General TLS cynicism makes me question the sincerity of this. But gonna go with it and say thanks. Hahaha
100% serious. A 164 to a 177 is an amazing jump. And Harvard is a great outcome, especially with need aid.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 pm

167: Waitlist -> Denial from NU. Best option was half-ride at ND.

170: Full Ride Scholarship (98 % for 1L year to be technical) at NU

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hill1334

New

Post by hill1334 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:23 pm

Decided I would like to go to law school early senior year. Took the December LSAT and cancelled after realizing that studying 20 hours left me unprepared. On the advise of my career center, I decided not to try and take the February LSAT and apply to law school late. Instead took two years off to work at a V5 law firm as a legal assistant. Working providing me with some valuable experience and perspective, and confirmed that I very much so want to be a lawyer. Took the LSAT two more times and scored a 170 and 173. Currently trying to decide between Duke, Columbia, and NYU, all three of which have offered me fairly sizable scholarships.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:36 pm

had success both retaking and then reapplying, pm for deets if interested

omd3117

New

Post by omd3117 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:35 am

I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm currently on several waitlist. As far a the reapplication process, is it better to get new LORs or is it still okay to use the ones you've already used in the past? When I reapply, I'm going to be writing a new personal statement and diversity statement anyway.

Thanks for the help!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:51 pm

omd3117 wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm currently on several waitlist. As far a the reapplication process, is it better to get new LORs or is it still okay to use the ones you've already used in the past? When I reapply, I'm going to be writing a new personal statement and diversity statement anyway.

Thanks for the help!
You can reuse the ones you already have as long as you still think they are the best people to have written your LORs

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Sun May 24, 2015 5:21 pm

omd3117 wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm currently on several waitlist. As far a the reapplication process, is it better to get new LORs or is it still okay to use the ones you've already used in the past? When I reapply, I'm going to be writing a new personal statement and diversity statement anyway.

Thanks for the help!
When I reapplied, I got a new LOR from my job I worked on my year off, just to show them what is been doing in my year off. I used my old ones too, and just added another new one. I have no idea if it helped or not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”