Loyola L.A. or UF Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Loyola L.A. or UF

Loyola
33%
UF
67%

Total votes: 18

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Loyola L.A. or UF Law

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Stay in L.A. and go to Loyola w/90k, or relocate and go to UF at in-state prices?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Loyola L.A. or UF Law

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:06 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:Stay in L.A. and go to Loyola w/90k, or relocate and go to UF at in-state prices?
Would be better in "Choosing a law school" sub-forum.

What is the total cost of attendance plus interest at each?

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Doesn't this come down to where you want to practice? I'd imagine going to either would tie you to the state for at least your first few years of practice.

ETA: Employment data for UF and Loyola. UF seems like a better bet, but you'll probably have to practice in Florida.

Cost of living seems to be ~40k less at UF with in-state rates. Thats after taking the full cost of living for Loyola and subtracting your ~90k scholarship.

Someone correct me.
Last edited by howlery on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:Stay in L.A. and go to Loyola w/90k, or relocate and go to UF at in-state prices?
Would be better in "Choosing a law school" sub-forum.

What is the total cost of attendance plus interest at each?
Ah, good call. Of course.

COA would be almost equal. ~$125k at LLS and ~120k at UF. LLS has the 3.2 stip. The UF estimate figures full fare in-state in 2/3L and a $15k grant towards OOS the first year; there is possibility for additional awards in subsequent years at UF.

UF is the state flagship school, and has a tremendous brand following. It is also the highest "ranked" school int the state. Employment stats are also a bit better at UF. My parents are also in FL.

Loyola is at home. Relocating would be burdensome for my family. Employment stats are rough for LLS right now. However, I work hard and network very well. Getting a job is a worry; of course, there is always the possibility (however slim) of transferring "up" inside the state.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm

howlery wrote:Doesn't this come down to where you want to practice? I'd imagine going to either would tie you to the state for at least your first few years of practice.

ETA: Employment data for UF and Loyola. UF seems like a better bet, but you'll probably have to practice in Florida.

Cost of living seems to be ~40k less at UF with in-state rates. Thats after taking the full cost of living for Loyola and subtracting your ~90k scholarship.

Someone correct me.
Good point. And, yes, it does come down to where I want to practice. This is a dilemma as well. Fl is a beautiful state (IMO), is less crowded, and economically more stable. Overall optimism towards the economy seems to be higher in FL; budget problems, unemployment, etc. are still very real problems in CA. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer for me on this, which is why I am attempting to take solace at TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Also, wouldn't it make sense to be the best non-T14 in your market (UF in FL) instead of one of several lowly ranked schools in the market? Florida has like 11 law schools but at least you don't have to deal with Stanford, UCB, UCLA, etc. At least not unless you want one of ~5 biglaw jobs, but thats a different story I guess.

Your parents being in Florida is also a huge plus. Worst case scenario you have a (hopefully) rent-free place to figure out your next move if law school doesn't work out. Considering UF's ~55% employment score, theres a decent chance that might happen.

And doesn't everyone work hard and network well? Lol.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Don't go to UF unless you have strong Florida connections, and even then, don't go unless it's close to free. See http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida. For what it's worth, FSU's employment score is about 10 points higher, so I wouldn't judge those two by U.S. News ranking.

Don't go to Loyola at all because it has horrible employment numbers. See http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Don't go to UF unless you have strong Florida connections, and even then, don't go unless it's close to free. See http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida. For what it's worth, FSU's employment score is about 10 points higher, so I wouldn't judge those two by U.S. News ranking.

Don't go to Loyola at all because it has horrible employment numbers. See http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola.
This.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm

What about a retake?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Winston1984 wrote:What about a retake?
It's on the agenda for June, so as to negotiate higher (unlikely in June) or hold out a year. I have already taken a course and pushed hard for the last score, though. I'm not sure there are many more points to gain.

Theree is also a potential job on the table, in an unrelated but lucrative field. Starting pay would be about median starting pay out of these two schools (and yes, I know pay is bimodal). The job would be good, but I don't have the offer solidified yet. Also, while working now and financially stabilizing would be ideal, I'm still kind of set of law school (I am, however, ready for the selection process to be over with).

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
howlery wrote:Doesn't this come down to where you want to practice? I'd imagine going to either would tie you to the state for at least your first few years of practice.

Someone correct me.
Good point. And, yes, it does come down to where I want to practice. This is a dilemma as well. Fl is a beautiful state (IMO), is less crowded, and economically more stable. Overall optimism towards the economy seems to be higher in FL; budget problems, unemployment, etc. are still very real problems in CA. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer for me on this, which is why I am attempting to take solace at TLS.
I've lived in both and your comments about both FL and CA are silly. Also gators wear jean shorts.

Employment prospects from both schools are honestly terrible though and unless your COL is totally subsidized via living at home to go to Loyola, I'd probably not go to either of these schools. Insofar as you do, I'd consider paying $15-20k with free COL to go to Loyola with a shot at transferring to a better school with kickass 1L grades. And if you don't get them, probably just drop out and do something else.

When you start a thread like this, you need to also provide more information, like your numbers and where you want to practice, etc. Don't leave it to the people you're asking for help to mine you for the necessary data.
CO2016YEAH wrote: Theree is also a potential job on the table, in an unrelated but lucrative field. Starting pay would be about median starting pay out of these two schools (and yes, I know pay is bimodal). The job would be good, but I don't have the offer solidified yet. Also, while working now and financially stabilizing would be ideal, I'm still kind of set of law school (I am, however, ready for the selection process to be over with).
If you get that offer, you shouldn't go anywhere near either of these schools.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Definitely work and retake. You can bank money to help pay for tuition, gain work experience, and ace that LSAT.

kdog1147

New

Post by kdog1147 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:21 pm

I've sorta skimmed a little so I'm sorry if I touch on a point again. I would say UF over Loyola assuming all things are equal. If location doesn't factor in (and if it does only you can decide by how much) then we can look at employment as the next step. A law degree from UF will open more doors, overall, than Loyola. A law degree from UF is the best thing you can have in the Florida market before you get to T-14 schools. The only major drawback for UF is its restriction to the FL (and a minor amount GA/AL) employment market. Social wise I can tell you UF is a pure college town. EVERYTHING is built around the school so if you like that its great. I've only ever been to L.A. once and i don't know much about it. I imagine like all major cities it has fun stuff to do and you live in the city vibe. Both have advantages/disadvantages.

So really you just have to decide where you wanna work and what kind of law experience (college town vs. big city) you want. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:29 pm

kdog1147 wrote:I've sorta skimmed a little so I'm sorry if I touch on a point again. I would say UF over Loyola assuming all things are equal. ... So really you just have to decide where you wanna work and what kind of law experience (college town vs. big city) you want.
Yes, you did skim, and this is not good advice. First bolded part is a nonsensical and meaningless assumption. Second bolded part ignores the better choices of retaking or not going at all. Third bolded part has little to do with whether OP is going to get a job as a lawyer from either of these questionable schools.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Don't stay in L.A, there are no legal jerbs.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:19 pm

I wouldn't pay that much for either

Retake or don't go

kdog1147

New

Post by kdog1147 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:46 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
kdog1147 wrote:I've sorta skimmed a little so I'm sorry if I touch on a point again. I would say UF over Loyola assuming all things are equal. ... So really you just have to decide where you wanna work and what kind of law experience (college town vs. big city) you want.
Yes, you did skim, and this is not good advice. First bolded part is a nonsensical and meaningless assumption. Second bolded part ignores the better choices of retaking or not going at all. Third bolded part has little to do with whether OP is going to get a job as a lawyer from either of these questionable schools.
The question was which one to attend. I didn't assume or want to give advice on the other options since that wasn't what he asked for. Its an opinion (and yes they have assumptions in them) post giving advice. If you disagree thats fine just tell him what you think and he (being a grown-up) can decide himself. He asked what we thought about either of those 2 schools. Just because you don't see the merit in where you'll be living while in law school doesn't mean its not a valid concern.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:05 pm

kdog1147 wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
The question was which one to attend. I didn't assume or want to give advice on the other options since that wasn't what he asked for. Its an opinion (and yes they have assumptions in them) post giving advice. If you disagree thats fine just tell him what you think and he (being a grown-up) can decide himself. He asked what we thought about either of those 2 schools. Just because you don't see the merit in where you'll be living while in law school doesn't mean its not a valid concern.
Yes, OP posted two options. However, (1) retaking and (2) not going are implicit options for everyone. OP, I think retaking in June is the smart plan. I wouldnt go to either school at these prices.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Retaking in June is a terrible idea.

OP ought to retake in October

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:13 pm

kdog1147 wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
Considering the location of schools that are largely regional in nature is a wise thing to do. I believe you touched on some excellent points, especially considering the differences between a large, sprawling metropolis and a college town.

Ultimately, UF would have been a fun experience and I do think Florida would be a good place to work. Mitigating factors are keeping me in CA, however; I've withdrawn from UF.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Retaking in June is a terrible idea.

OP ought to retake in October
Why is Oct. the better retake? This closes the door on going ahead with matriculating in August if there isn't a substantial gain. Plus, June has the noon start time, which fits my schedule much better.

Is the argument that Oct. provides more prep time?

Ultimately, saturated as LA may be I am going to squeeze my way in as it is where I need to be. Mitigating factors have ruled out UF. There will be a continued need for lawyers in LA; I'll have to make sure I am one of the ones filling that need.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:18 pm

yes october provides more prep time

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:yes october provides more prep time
Sound reasoning. I've got considerable time in and am well familiar with the Q types, though. Ultimately, I'm going ahead with June and it will take a substantial gain to defer enrolling by a year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”