LSAC GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Darmody

LSAC GPA

Postby Darmody » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Why do some people have a higher GPA from their school, but a lower one for LSAC?

I understand that LSAC recalculates the GPA, but what courses do they take out? Gen-Ed? Piano/cooking courses?

Also, if my school does not give A+ and goes by A = 4, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, etc.... then how do I recalculate my LSAC GPA?

Also, is the LSAC GPA all that matter in terms of grades, or do they take into consideration your school/transcript GPA as well?

facile princeps

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby facile princeps » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Start here.

Use this to estimate your converted GPA (I used it and it was 100% accurate for me).

Your LSAC GPA is all that matters for law school applications.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:57 pm

the calculation gives me the same thing as my school transcript since im putting in exact same information (grades and credit hours). does that mean that students who don't go to schools that give A+ are at a disadvantage for LSAC GPA calculations?

I thought since my school didn't hand A+ grades, my LSAC GPA would be recalculated higher to level out the playing field

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Darmody wrote:the calculation gives me the same thing as my school transcript since im putting in exact same information (grades and credit hours). does that mean that students who don't go to schools that give A+ are at a disadvantage for LSAC GPA calculations?
Sure, if you want to look at it that way.

Darmody wrote:I thought since my school didn't hand A+ grades, my LSAC GPA would be recalculated higher to level out the playing field
Certainly not.

lowdmouse

Postby lowdmouse » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I haven't submitted my stuff to LSAC yet (applying this fall), but my LSAC GPA as I calculate it is lower than the GPA on my University transcript. I don't know if this is the case for other people, but for me the difference is because I took community college courses while I was in high school. My university took the credit hours, but didn't factor those grades into my GPA. LSAC, however, takes your transcripts from all colleges (including CCs) when it recalculates your GPA. So my LSAC GPA is about 0.16 points lower than my UGPA.

Hope this helps

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 pm

lowdmouse wrote:I haven't submitted my stuff to LSAC yet (applying this fall), but my LSAC GPA as I calculate it is lower than the GPA on my University transcript. I don't know if this is the case for other people, but for me the difference is because I took community college courses while I was in high school. My university took the credit hours, but didn't factor those grades into my GPA. LSAC, however, takes your transcripts from all colleges (including CCs) when it recalculates your GPA. So my LSAC GPA is about 0.16 points lower than my UGPA.

Hope this helps

I've only taken courses from my uni and all my courses have been gen-ed or toward my major/minor(s). Does that mean my LSAC GPA will be the same as my school transcript?

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 pm

First, search for your undergraduate institution here. If the LSAC grading standards are the same as your undergrad's, then yes your LSAC GPA should be the same as the one on your transcript. If not, you'll be able to figure out the difference using this.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I think there can also be some difference between the point values of each grade at your UG school and LSAC. Like if your school says an A- = 3.67 and LSAC says it's a 3.7 (or whatever. I can't remember.) Any difference will change your LSAC GPA.

But mostly, it's because of multiple schools, or an undergrad that only used the better grade when you retake a class but has both on the transcript (LSAC will use both grades).

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 pm

In regard to GPA, I was led to understand that one who does not attend a top rated UG school is judged by admissions dept. based on one's GPA VS. average UG GPA. How true is that? Any way for me to find out my UG average GPA?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:In regard to GPA, I was led to understand that one who does not attend a top rated UG school is judged by admissions dept. based on one's GPA VS. average UG GPA. How true is that? Any way for me to find out my UG average GPA?

Absolutely no truth to that. Law schools report their median GPA, not some bizarre calculation of GPAs vs. average undergrad GPAs.

All other things in your application package being equal, going to Princeton or MIT over Podunk U. and Lame-O Community College is a tiebreaker and not much more.

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:In regard to GPA, I was led to understand that one who does not attend a top rated UG school is judged by admissions dept. based on one's GPA VS. average UG GPA. How true is that? Any way for me to find out my UG average GPA?

Even if you got a 3.0 at a school where the average is 2.0, you're still a 3.0. Worry about getting the highest possible grades in relation to all applicants, not just ones from your college. LSAC will send you a report showing your undergrad's average LSAT and GPA after they process your transcripts. Try asking your registrar for a more complete picture w/r/t GPA.

People from top schools will be judged the same way you are: LSAT/GPA/URM (if applicable).

edit: grammar
Last edited by howlery on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Understood. Thank's for confirming mate.

2012LSATaker

Postby 2012LSATaker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 pm

If on my school transcript an A+ was a 4.0. Would the LSAC convert it to a 4.33?

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 pm

2012LSATaker wrote:If on my school transcript an A+ was a 4.0. Would the LSAC convert it to a 4.33?

yessir

2012LSATaker

Postby 2012LSATaker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Nice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”