application forms from last year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
armysgt

application forms from last year

Postby armysgt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Hey ya'll

Does anyone know where I can get application forms (pdf files perhaps?) from the last cycle for T14 schools?

I expect it'll look a lot like the Common Apps for undergrads, but I want to take a look at it so I know what to expect later, esp. with regard to some supp. essay topics

TripTrip

Re: application forms from last year

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 pm

armysgt wrote:Hey ya'll

Does anyone know where I can get application forms (pdf files perhaps?) from the last cycle for T14 schools?

I expect it'll look a lot like the Common Apps for undergrads, but I want to take a look at it so I know what to expect later, esp. with regard to some supp. essay topics

lol @ PDF application forms. That would suck.

Here's the T14 supplemental essays:
  1. Why do you want to attend Cornell?
  2. Why do you want to attend Duke?
  3. Why do you want to attend NU?
  4. Why do you want to attend UVA?
  5. Why do you want to attend Penn?
  6. Please expand your personal statement to four pages. Love, Berekely.

Michigan is the only one that really has some essay topics:
Essay One
Say more about your interest in the University of Michigan Law School. What do you believe Michigan has to offer to
you and you to Michigan?
Essay Two
Describe your current hopes for your career after completing law school. How will your education, experience, and
development so far support those plans?
Essay Three
If you do not think that your academic record or standardized test scores accurately reflect your ability to succeed in law
school, please tell us why.
Essay Four
Describe a failure or setback in your life. How did you overcome it? What, if anything, would you do differently if confronted
with this situation again?
Essay Five
Describe an experience that speaks to the problems and possibilities of diversity in an educational or work setting.
Essay Six
What do you think are the skills and values of a good lawyer? Which do you already possess? Which do you hope to develop?
Essay Seven
How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or
enhance the legal profession?
Essay Eight
Describe your educational experiences so far. What kinds of learning environments, teaching methods, student cultures,
and/or evaluation processes lead you to thrive, or contrariwise, thwart your success?

(Limit of two essays for Mich)

armysgt

Postby armysgt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Triptrip, thanks for the detailed answer!

For the personal statement, I've come to understand that it is not really about why you want to go to law school, or what you would want to do with your law degree. For that aim, I've heard that there is a "Statement of Purpose", which is different from the "Why oo law school?" supplementary essays that you've posted above. Is that in the application somewhere?

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:42 pm

armysgt wrote:Triptrip, thanks for the detailed answer!

For the personal statement, I've come to understand that it is not really about why you want to go to law school, or what you would want to do with your law degree. For that aim, I've heard that there is a "Statement of Purpose", which is different from the "Why oo law school?" supplementary essays that you've posted above. Is that in the application somewhere?

No. The personal statement takes care of both (or neither) of those things.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 am

armysgt wrote:I've heard that there is a "Statement of Purpose", which is different from the "Why oo law school?" supplementary essays that you've posted above.

Never heard of it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”