I NEED HELP! SPLITTER!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sesamesweets

I NEED HELP! SPLITTER!

Postby sesamesweets » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Okay I was previously enrolled in a top-50 school that dropped in ranking and is now a top-75 school. I withdrew and differed my enrollment for a year. I owe 30 grand, and if I go back to the same school, they will give me a scholarship for the first term (which won't cover living expenses). I'm getting hosed, and I allowed this to happen because I've been pretty severely depressed for the last year.

Numbers: 165 LSAT, 2.90 LSAC GPA, 3.1 GPA, Upward Trend, ADHD, major upward trend coincides with treatment for ADHD.

Should I reapply, return to the same school, or retake the exam?

PLEASE HELP!

itachiuchiha

Re: I NEED HELP! SPLITTER!

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:44 pm

sesamesweets wrote:Okay I was previously enrolled in a top-50 school that dropped in ranking and is now a top-75 school. I withdrew and differed my enrollment for a year. I owe 30 grand, and if I go back to the same school, they will give me a scholarship for the first term (which won't cover living expenses). I'm getting hosed, and I allowed this to happen because I've been pretty severely depressed for the last year.

Numbers: 165 LSAT, 2.90 LSAC GPA, 3.1 GPA, Upward Trend, ADHD, major upward trend coincides with treatment for ADHD.

PLEASE HELP!

You're not a splitter. A 165 is a fairly low score
Last edited by itachiuchiha on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rshw89

Postby rshw89 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
sesamesweets wrote:Okay I was previously enrolled in a top-50 school that dropped in ranking and is now a top-75 school. I withdrew and differed my enrollment for a year. I owe 30 grand, and if I go back to the same school, they will give me a scholarship for the first term (which won't cover living expenses). I'm getting hosed, and I allowed this to happen because I've been pretty severely depressed for the last year.

PLEASE HELP!

Your not a splitter. A 165 is a fairly low score

You're* mistaken if you think OP is not a splitter. Less than 10% of all LSAT takers will achieve OP's score. OP may not be a super splitter, but OP is still a splitter.

sesamesweets

Postby sesamesweets » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Any advice on what I should do?

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:

PLEASE HELP!

This is incorrect and an elitist mentality. 165 is not a "fairly low score." Granted, if you got up into the 170s OP you would be sitting a little better.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm

If you are feeling uneasy about attending this school, you shouldn't rush into it. There is absolutely no harm in waiting a year, retaking the LSAT for a 170+, and reapplying to better schools. My vote is to wait and retake.

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 pm

bchirco wrote:[This is incorrect and an elitist mentality. 165 is not a "fairly low score." Granted, if you got up into the 170s OP you would be sitting a little better.

PSA: You are currently visiting a forum called "Top-Law-Schools.com." The entire concept is elitest in nature. A 165 is a very low school by TLS standards because it is a very low score by top schools' standards.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm

bchirco wrote:This is incorrect and an elitist mentality. 165 is not a "fairly low score."

It is if you want a job someday.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:58 pm

bchirco wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:

PLEASE HELP!

This is incorrect and an elitist mentality. 165 is not a "fairly low score." Granted, if you got up into the 170s OP you would be sitting a little better.

TOP Law Schools dot com.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm

exitoptions wrote:
bchirco wrote:[This is incorrect and an elitist mentality. 165 is not a "fairly low score." Granted, if you got up into the 170s OP you would be sitting a little better.

PSA: You are currently visiting a forum called "Top-Law-Schools.com." The entire concept is elitest in nature. A 165 is a very low school by TLS standards because it is a very low score by top schools' standards.

Doesn't matter what the score is, it still makes him a splitter due to the low GPA, almost everywhere.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Regardless of this debate, OP should retake the LSAT and go to a better school. Being 30k in debt does not justify throwing another 100k or more away.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:23 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Regardless of this debate, OP should retake the LSAT and go to a better school. Being 30k in debt does not justify throwing another 100k or more away.

This.

Also, I don't care if this is called TOP LAWL SKOOL DOT COM BRO. This website has been a useful tool for people attending T50s as well and you discount that fact by calling a 165 a bad score. If you don't believe me look around the forums for people attending TOP regionals where a 165 would more than suffice. Either way, 165 is not a bad score and it definitely makes him a splitter, even if he should retake to get a 170+.

Retake.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 pm

This forum is far too accommodating to people making bad decisions as it is. There are quality regional schools, but the vast majority of the rest are fucking scams. The fact that we have Catholic University threads and American threads I think is doing a disservice to a lot of people on this site.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 pm

bchirco wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Regardless of this debate, OP should retake the LSAT and go to a better school. Being 30k in debt does not justify throwing another 100k or more away.

This.

Also, I don't care if this is called TOP LAWL SKOOL DOT COM BRO. This website has been a useful tool for people attending T50s as well and you discount that fact by calling a 165 a bad score. If you don't believe me look around the forums for people attending TOP regionals where a 165 would more than suffice. Either way, 165 is not a bad score and it definitely makes him a splitter, even if he should retake to get a 170+.

Retake.

These people might be getting $$ for their scores...

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Whether a 165 is a high score or a low score in a vacuum, or on TLS, or whatever, a 165 paired with an excellent GPA is very different from a 165 paired with a 2.9. I think the important point here is that 165 isn't enough to overcome the low GPA, and since the OP can't do anything about the GPA, if they can retake, they might be able to do something about the LSAT score.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 pm

as I said above. a 165 is a low score in TLS standards, nuff said. lets end this debate right here.

paranoia4ya

Postby paranoia4ya » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:58 am

PLEASE HELP!

You should be studying for the lsat right now. You know how well you can do on the test better than everyone else. It couldn't hurt to retake in june and still plan on attending this T75 or whatever if you fail/do not improve enough assuming your two options are go to this school or retake.

North

Postby North » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Don't throw good money after bad. Retake the LSAT for a 170+ or don't go back. The JD probably isn't worth another $100,000.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I dont think you should go back. Sounds too expensive and not worth it.

You should definitely retake. Twice if necessary.

Without a higher score, apply to every strong regional school with an expected median of 165 or below in markets you wouldnt mind settling down in (ex: Alabama, Georgia, SMU). Maybe youll get an offer thats reasonable.

Retaking and hitting median at higher ranked splitter friendly schools will give you a shot at those schools. Ex: 166/167 for WUSTL/UMN. 169+ for GULC. 170+ for NU/UVA. The more points over median you can get, the better your chances of admission are.

itachiuchiha wrote:as I said above. a 165 is a low score in TLS standards, nuff said. lets end this debate right here.

Thats not what you said. I think everyone would have agreed that 165 is a low score by TLS standards.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Nova wrote:I dont think you should go back. Sounds too expensive and not worth it.

You should definitely retake. Twice if necessary.

Without a higher score, apply to every strong regional school with an expected median of 165 or below in markets you wouldnt mind settling down in (ex: Alabama, Georgia, SMU). Maybe youll get an offer thats reasonable.

Retaking and hitting median at higher ranked splitter friendly schools will give you a shot at those schools. Ex: 166/167 for WUSTL/UMN. 169+ for GULC. 170+ for NU/UVA. The more points over median you can get, the better your chances of admission are.

itachiuchiha wrote:as I said above. a 165 is a low score in TLS standards, nuff said. lets end this debate right here.

Thats not what you said. I think everyone would have agreed that 165 is a low score by TLS standards.

Not to mention the higher scholarships he could get. I know you go to UMN so you may know more about this, but they seem pretty splitter-friendly in terms of scholarships.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Scholarships for splitters at UMN usually bring COA, including COL, to under 100k.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”