No grade calculation after first undergraduate degree? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarvardHopeful93

New

No grade calculation after first undergraduate degree?

Post by HarvardHopeful93 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Hey guys, I know LSAC only calculates GPA up until you receive your first undergraduate degree...but I am a little confused. I am at 60 credits right now with roughly 9 left in my major. Does this mean if I get my major done with now, the remaining 51 credits or so aren't calculated into my GPA? Or does this just mean that any credits after the 120 needed to graduate don't count? Thanks in advance for the clarification. :)

iShotFirst

Bronze

Re: No grade calculation after first undergraduate degree?

Post by iShotFirst » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 pm

any credits after the 120 needed to graduate don't count

HarvardHopeful93

New

Post by HarvardHopeful93 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm

So I can finish my major early and take electives for the next two years and all will still count?

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:So I can finish my major early and take electives for the next two years and all will still count?
yes

HarvardHopeful93

New

Post by HarvardHopeful93 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Thank you so much! 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm

iShotFirst wrote:any credits after the 120 needed to graduate don't count
This is patently incorrect. You can have 400 credits as long as you don't graduate.

OP, as long as you don't officially graduate with your degree, all credits will count toward your LSAC GPA. Once you receive your first bachelor's degree, any courses after that will appear on LSAC's report, but will not count toward your GPA.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:23 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
This is patently incorrect. You can have 400 credits as long as you don't graduate.

OP, as long as you don't officially graduate with your degree, all credits will count toward your LSAC GPA. Once you receive your first bachelor's degree, any courses after that will appear on LSAC's report, but will not count toward your GPA.
That's a relief. I was worried at some of the responses in this thread, because I'll finish my major this fall and be somewhere in the 3.3ish range, but was considering staying on in the spring to raise it.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 pm

cahwc12 wrote:

He's right. I graduated with well over 120 credits and everything after 120 still counted regardless of me being done with my majors.

HarvardHopeful93

New

Post by HarvardHopeful93 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 pm

So receiving your first bachelor's degree is done when you walk and do the whole ceremony and whatnot?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:So receiving your first bachelor's degree is done when you walk and do the whole ceremony and whatnot?
No. There are people who walk before they officially graduate or some that choose not to walk at all (because its lame). You have to complete the official graduation process and the associated paperwork to receive your diploma. Having a wedding ceremony doesn't mean you're legally married, you've got to file papers with city hall (I think it works that way, whatevs).

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 pm

howlery wrote:
HarvardHopeful93 wrote:So receiving your first bachelor's degree is done when you walk and do the whole ceremony and whatnot?
No. There are people who walk before they officially graduate or some that choose not to walk at all (because its lame). You have to complete the official graduation process and the associated paperwork to receive your diploma. Having a wedding ceremony doesn't mean you're legally married, you've got to file papers with city hall (I think it works that way, whatevs).
^Yea what he/she said. I walked before I was actually done because I finished all of my requirements for my first degree, but I wanted to get a second degree and therefore I didn't "fully graduate" yet (though on an unrelated note, I took an internship to fill in remaining credits for my second degree that didn't calculate into my culm GPA i.e. the internship credits were on a Pass/Fail basis and not on a 4.00 graded scale).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”