Princeton or Scholarship School for undergrad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Undergrad Choices

Princeton at sticker
45%
USC with a full ride
39%
Wash U with guaranteed acceptance to Med School; 1/2 tuition scholarship
17%

Total votes: 83

gronkisgronk

New

Princeton or Scholarship School for undergrad?

Post by gronkisgronk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:58 pm

The topic says it all. Should I go to Princeton or USC with a full ride or Wash U with a partial tuition scholarship?

Edit 1: I was also awarded the University Scholars Program at Wash U, meaning that I am guaranteed acceptance to their Med School assuming I maintain a 3.8 GPA. Does this change the decision in any way? At this point, I am not sure I want to be a doctor.
Last edited by gronkisgronk on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Gold

Re: Princeton or Scholarship School for undergrad?

Post by sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Dude. Princeton law isn't a real thing. I think you're being scammed.

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 pm

sinfiery wrote:Dude. Princeton law isn't a real thing. I think you're being scammed.
...?

OP: If your parents are paying, I'd go to Princeton
ETA: GPA and LSAT matter the most

gronkisgronk

New

Post by gronkisgronk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm

sinfiery, i'm talking about undergrad.

My parents are willing to pay 240k for my education. In other words, if i go to princeton, i have to pay my own way through law school. If i go to USC, where i won't have to pay a dime, they will pay for law school. Wash U will cost 120k, which means i will have 120k left over for law school.

I am in a very fortunate financial position, and i recognize this, but i also want to make the right decision for law school. (I know that interests can change, but as of right now i want to go into law.)

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 pm

USC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 pm

gronkisgronk wrote:sinfiery, i'm talking about undergrad.
oh really..

Then go read the other thread from a highschool kid and take that advice

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 pm

gronkisgronk wrote:My parents are willing to pay 240k for my education.
What cheap pricks. You should go to art school or start a band just to piss them off since they barely support you.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gronkisgronk wrote:My parents are willing to pay 240k for my education.
What cheap pricks. You should go to art school or start a band just to piss them off since they barely support you.
Yea.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:21 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:USC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:23 pm

If you go to Princeton you might end up in a better field and not have to go to law school.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm

My parents are willing to pay 240k for my education. In other words, if i go to princeton, i have to pay my own way through law school. If i go to USC, where i won't have to pay a dime, they will pay for law school. Wash U will cost 120k, which means i will have 120k left over for law school.

I am in a very fortunate financial position, and i recognize this, but i also want to make the right decision for law school. (I know that interests can change, but as of right now i want to go into law.)
Go to USC. Undergrad rank is basically irrelevant for law school admissions, but free law school can't be beat. If you end up wanting some other field, notably consulting, Princeton would be a better option, so that is something to consider.

Rule out Wash U; it's not worth a penny more than USC.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Go to princeton. Hopefully there you'll realize that you're better off not going to law school lol. enjoy undergrad and get a degree in something useful, like engineering or CS. if you get one of those from princeton, your future would be far more enjoyable than 99% of law school grads.

but if you're already intent on becoming a lawyer, go to the university that can bring you the best GPA at the lowest price and nail the LSAT.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Also, how wealthy are your grandparents? Can you be certain they won't pony up for law school later should you decide to go? You don't know what they will be thinking in 4 years if you get into a top law school.

My opinion is that you should go to the best school you can right now. You don't know what you will end up doing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Whats up with this flood of highschoolers asking law students where they should attend undergrad.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:04 pm

NYstate wrote:If you go to Princeton you might end up in a better field and not have to go to law school.
+1

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm

princeton. obvs.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Go to Princeton, get a cool real jerb

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pope Francis

New

Post by Pope Francis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 pm

NYstate wrote:If you go to Princeton you might end up in a better field and not have to go to law school.
This. You might decide not to go to Law School, and you might decide to go to a school with a full scholarship (are your parents going to give you the left over money in cash?) By the way, your original post is unclear.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Def Princeton. You shouldn't be thinking law school yet. In 4 years, if you are alcohol-soaked, with a 2.8, no skills except that Albanian Philosophy degree, then maybe consider law school, maybe.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:47 pm

I feel as if this thread is way too pro Princeton

Going to Princeton at sticker with no fin aid equals 57k a year, so your graduating with over 300k in debt and the average starting salary (probably bullshit) is about 67k with a mid career average (self selection on reporting probably inflates this) is 130k.

You will probably be in debt your entire life, if you paid sticker. But I guess parents money makes the investment worth it

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 pm

sinfiery wrote:I feel as if this thread is way too pro Princeton

Going to Princeton at sticker with no fin aid equals 57k a year, so your graduating with over 300k in debt and the average starting salary (probably bullshit) is about 67k with a mid career average (self selection on reporting probably inflates this) is 130k.

You will probably be in debt your entire life, if you paid sticker. But I guess parents money makes the investment worth it
Plus USC is still a really good school, and a full ride makes it hard to beat IMO. If the OP wanted i-banking or consulting I could see choosing Princeton.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 pm

You didn't read the OP. kids parents are paying; no debt. Wants to know is it better to spend now or save for law school later.

As a resident of the prestige obsessed NYC I say Princeton and don't go to law school.
Last edited by NYstate on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:52 pm

NYstate wrote:

You didn't read the OP. kids grandparents are paying; no debt. Wants to know is it better to spend now or save for law school later.

As a resident of the prestige obsessed NYC I say Princeton and don't go to law school.
This

bananasplitz

New

Post by bananasplitz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 pm

If you go to USC, you'll likely graduate with a better GPA and benefit from the strong alumni network on the west coast.

A friend of mine chose USC over Princeton and he was happy with his decision

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Go to Princeton, have it paid for, and don't go to law school. Major in something useful that'll get you recruited straight out of UG.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”