Deferral

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
netsfan05

Deferral

Postby netsfan05 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:24 am

I need some serious advice. I was recently accepted to the University of Baltimore Law and considering deffering enrollment for one year. I didn't expect to get this job, but this past week I received a call back from a very large firm in NJ and they want to hire me as a paralegal. I'm considering taking the offer and gaining some valuable experience while saving decent money for a yea before school. Not to mention, I might help in my decision process as to what kind of law I wish to practice in the future. That being said, would the University of Baltimore law accept my deferment letter for the fall of 2013, this way I can start for the fal of 2014? I'm not exactly sure how this deferment policy works and if they're going to accept my letter. Any ideas on how to approach this matter would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

b123

Re: Deferral

Postby b123 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Welp, the nauseating advice that everyone normally gives is probably pretty true here. Unless your situation makes it so that the University of Baltimore is where you really want to be, take the year off, work, study for the LSAT and retake it.

netsfan05

Postby netsfan05 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26 pm

I should have been more clear. I received some $$ from the school and interested in living in the beautiful area of the inner harbor in baltimore. I'm not interested in retaking because my score wasn't subpar and I'm not interested in studying for the exam after a just finished a brutal six months. Being that the University of Baltimore and University of Maryland are the only two schools in Maryland, which is where I plan on living and practicing, I don't think it is a bad choice to attend Baltimore. My real question is how do I exactly defer enrollment at the school? Will they hold my seat for the fall of 2014 due to my work experience and what I am doing that will further my career goals? Any advice would be great

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 pm

netsfan05 wrote:I should have been more clear. I received some $$ from the school and interested in living in the beautiful area of the inner harbor in baltimore. I'm not interested in retaking because my score wasn't subpar and I'm not interested in studying for the exam after a just finished a brutal six months. Being that the University of Baltimore and University of Maryland are the only two schools in Maryland, which is where I plan on living and practicing, I don't think it is a bad choice to attend Baltimore. My real question is how do I exactly defer enrollment at the school? Will they hold my seat for the fall of 2014 due to my work experience and what I am doing that will further my career goals? Any advice would be great

Call the admissions office and ask. Make sure they're willing to defer the scholarship as well. You would be well served to spend some time as a paralegal for a large firm.

That being said, where are your ties? You got a job in NJ, but want to practice in MD? Do you have any ties to MD? I'm not all too familiar w/ the University of Baltimore, but I don't believe prospects are especially good for graduates, especially ones without any ties to the area. I know you don't want to hear it, but a retake could be very beneficial for you. Retaking doesn't mean you had a subpar score, it just means that you could get a better score. Even a few points would likely improve your prospects dramatically.

Basically, give us some more information and you'll get better advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”